Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Aug 31, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #2,731 of 7,140
Ok. Installed the new firmware. Have two grips with remaining bugs (which I have already reported to Questyle a month ago) :

1. I rip all my CDs in FLAC from EAC, including coverart and tags. and the QP1R just cannot read the covers. Those same covers are perfectly read on all other players, from iPhone to desktop.
2. I don't know how the media scanning is performed, but it bring up artists which ARE NOT in my tags, which is particularly annoying.

Apart from that, I love my QP1R, and I'm not trading it anytime soon :)

Eagerly waiting for 1.08 :)

1 i ripped my CD to flac also with eac. Cover reading no problem. Maybe check settings in eac?
2 got this problem also, mp3tag helped me out, now clean artists section on QP1R

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #2,732 of 7,140

Ok. Installed the new firmware. Have two grips with remaining bugs (which I have already reported to Questyle a month ago) :

1. I rip all my CDs in FLAC from EAC, including coverart and tags. and the QP1R just cannot read the covers. Those same covers are perfectly read on all other players, from iPhone to desktop.
2. I don't know how the media scanning is performed, but it bring up artists which ARE NOT in my tags, which is particularly annoying.

Apart from that, I love my QP1R, and I'm not trading it anytime soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Eagerly waiting for 1.08
smily_headphones1.gif

1 i ripped my CD to flac also with eac. Cover reading no problem. Maybe check settings in eac?
2 got this problem also, mp3tag helped me out, now clean artists section on QP1R

I'm a tag freak. So my tags are clean. I'm 100% sure of that (I use MP3Tag to verify all my rips).
Did you give a cover name in EAC? What's your cover setting? My problem is that the covers are totally fine in MP3Tag and everywhere else. Only my QP1R has troubles with them.

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #2,733 of 7,140
As for the never ending scroll wheel debate I must say again it doesn't bother me, I understand that it makes a lot of people crazy but it would not stop me from buying another. Bruce at Questyle will send you a wheel cover if you ask. He wants us all to have them! Questyle made a poor decision when they supplied a scroll wheel that needs to actually rotate (unlike an iPod wheel) and machined an ultra sooth surface on it. Then surrounded it with adaptive touch buttons. So if your fingertips are dry the wheel is hard to turn, then you try to exert more force by using the pad of your finger and start hitting those adaptive touch buttons. And it is frustrating. But with the scroll wheel cover or sticky dots or just using the buttons we quickly learn to operate the machine. I am not trying to influence anyone just trying to describe my experience so that potential buyers without access to try out a QP1R can understand what is going on. I have been to a couple of audio shows now where Questyle is demoing and most everyone is happily spinning and clicking away in no time. But yeah it is not a great design...

Just got a QP1R as a gift. The sound is awesome, butt the wheel doesn't want to cooperate with my dry finger without licking it. Does anyone have Bruce's email or headfi contact for the wheel sticker? Thanks.

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #2,734 of 7,140

The thing I would suggest is to make sure that the artwork is .jpg and not .png in your editor. As for the Artists listing, check that Artist and Album Artist are the same in your editor (if that's the way you want them sorted). After you make those changes, if needed, rescan your library.

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #2,735 of 7,140

The thing I would suggest is to make sure that the artwork is .jpg and not .png in your editor. As for the Artists listing, check that Artist and Album Artist are the same in your editor (if that's the way you want them sorted). After you make those changes, if needed, rescan your library.

As I said, I'm a tag freak. So done, done and done (several times). Thank you for the suggestion though.

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #2,736 of 7,140
Just got a QP1R as a gift. The sound is awesome, butt the wheel doesn't want to cooperate with my dry finger without licking it. Does anyone have Bruce's email or headfi contact for the wheel sticker? Thanks.
PM @Netforce he should be able to get you taken care of.

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #2,737 of 7,140
  I know I'm late to the party, it's just I've been watching this thread since Questyle announced the USB DAC functionality update. 

Was told by Questyle themselves that this function wouldn't ever be available due to hardware restrictions. As the UK retailer advertised this function in late 2015, I returned it for a refund.

Frankly, you sound extremely petulant.  And I do NOT appreciate being labelled as pathetic because of my taste in products or my limits, which the QP1R has dealt with, the best way on the market.
The tactile vibration is fantastic, and the wheel doesn't consern me.  If you're going to throw a tantrum over one little flaw on a top-notch sounding DAP like this, then I'm just going to block you and enjoy the other constructive and good-natured people on this thread.

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #2,738 of 7,140
qp1r can do without an UI or scrollwheel because it sounds so good!

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #2,739 of 7,140
I asked my wife to pick up a cable for me at the Apple store in the mall for using the QP1R DAC with my iPhone. But which one? moedawg140 wrote:
Connect the male USB connecting cable from the USB Hub to the Apple CCK cable port.
Connect the Apple CCK Lightning connector to the iPhone 6.
The Apple store doesn't show a CCK cable although they have one for cameras that looks about right. I do have a Lightning to standard USB connector from my charger that should do the job of the two cables listed above, but it doesn't seem to work. I don't have a male USB to male USB cable. Hmmm thinking out loud.
I don't even know if these multi port things are one way devises. If my Belkin has 4 USB ports on one side and a USB mini B on the other does that mean the iPhone has to go on one side and the QP1R on the other? Thanks

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #2,740 of 7,140
As I said, I'm a tag freak. So done, done and done (several times). Thank you for the suggestion though.

Really can't imagine what it can be. I didn't really change something on eac default settings regarding cover. All I can see is "convert BMP image files automatically to JPG". Apart from this, I don't get it

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2,741 of 7,140
I decided to get the Apple CCK Lightning to USB camera adapter. I think there is something in that cable that allows the iPhone to send digital music out. Just using the Apple Lightning to USB charging cable doesn't really talk to my computer, it doesn't show up as a selectable input for instance.
I see my hub does not use a USB-B type but rather a USB mini B plug. I don't know if they operate the same. I'll buy one component at a time until it works.

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #2,742 of 7,140
I drag and drop my entire library. For covers I use http://www.albumartexchange.com/ and every single album cover has the same name "cover" and is saved as a jpeg, in its respective folder. I've never had any issues. 

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #2,743 of 7,140
Good news is I was able to use my QP1R as a DAC with my MAC home computer and it sounds really good. Of course all my music resides on my home computer first and QP1R second so I have tons of music I can listen to that I hadn't transferred yet or ever will. The high def stuff sounds fantastic!

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #2,744 of 7,140
Thanks for the album art exchange. I seldom bother adding them but it is easy enough to drag and drop a jpeg into its album folder. The QP1R knows what to do with the jpeg. I must admit I don't understand some of the comments about filing systems in this DAP. I just make folders for everything and it makes sense to me, browse files, pick a card, scroll to an artist, scroll to an album and pick song/songs. I have had no issues dropping high def downloads or iTunes music into the QP1R folders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back