Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Apr 22, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #1,606 of 7,140
Hello guys,
I'm a new to to audiophile domain so please help me if you can 
rolleyes.gif

I'm looking into buying my 1st DAP  and  the following players had caught my attention:
- QP1R
- Cowon Plenue M
- Astell & Kern Jr

- Onkyo dp-x1 seems a nice option too but I can't find it to be sold somewhere in Europe ...

I will use it with my IEM's. Currently my favourite pair is RHA MA750 and my current source is Galaxy S6.
I love the sound but I feel I need something more. I don't think my Galaxy can open full potential of MA750. Sometimes bass is lacking for ex., seems there is not enough power.

I'm interested in a short comparison of those 3 players. Maybe somebody had them.
- I would like to know if it will be an important progress in terms of sound quality from my Galaxy S6 to any of those.
- What could be the ranking in terms of SQ between these DAPs
- What is the real batterly life of them when playing FLAC only files.

I usually listen to this kind of music: EDM, house, sometime rap/hiphop and sometimes Rnb and others.

In case I will buy a DAP I'm considering also upgrading my IEM to a custom one. Specifically I was looking at Custome Art Harmony 8 Pro  and 1964 V6 Stage. 
Some thought about that would be appreciated.

Hope my questions are not too messy  
tongue_smile.gif

thanks

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #1,608 of 7,140
Just received my unit today, been playing around for about an hour. Initial impressions - sound is pretty good, not as good as expected (I'll reserve final judgement on this after more playtime). The jog wheel is ABSOLUTELY USELESS! I can't believe this got past the first prototype like this. Did they think we just wouldn't notice?

Apr 22, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #1,609 of 7,140
Just received my unit today, been playing around for about an hour. Initial impressions - sound is pretty good, not as good as expected (I'll reserve final judgement on this after more playtime). The jog wheel is ABSOLUTELY USELESS! I can't believe this got past the first prototype like this. Did they think we just wouldn't notice?

The jog wheel requires the skin thingy. It gets useful with some practice. I use it routinely now. Still, it just feels cheesy.

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #1,610 of 7,140
  Hello guys,
I'm a new to to audiophile domain so please help me if you can 
rolleyes.gif

I'm looking into buying my 1st DAP  and  the following players had caught my attention:
- QP1R
- Cowon Plenue M
- Astell & Kern Jr

- Onkyo dp-x1 seems a nice option too but I can't find it to be sold somewhere in Europe ...

I will use it with my IEM's. Currently my favourite pair is RHA MA750 and my current source is Galaxy S6.
I love the sound but I feel I need something more. I don't think my Galaxy can open full potential of MA750. Sometimes bass is lacking for ex., seems there is not enough power.

I'm interested in a short comparison of those 3 players. Maybe somebody had them.
- I would like to know if it will be an important progress in terms of sound quality from my Galaxy S6 to any of those.
- What could be the ranking in terms of SQ between these DAPs
- What is the real batterly life of them when playing FLAC only files.

I usually listen to this kind of music: EDM, house, sometime rap/hiphop and sometimes Rnb and others.

In case I will buy a DAP I'm considering also upgrading my IEM to a custom one. Specifically I was looking at Custome Art Harmony 8 Pro  and 1964 V6 Stage. 
Some thought about that would be appreciated.

Hope my questions are not too messy  
tongue_smile.gif

thanks

Have you read the @moedawg140 review on page 1 of this thread?  You won't find a more comprehensive resource.  It should be the starting point for your research.

I can only speak to the QP1R, but I can confidently say you will be blown away by the improvement over your S6.  Night and day.

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #1,611 of 7,140
Yesterday first time noticed strange behaviour from QP1R. Listening to Prince (how could I not), and from now playing screen I pushed back button, and suddenly all songs were the same in the browse files menu, there was only the song I actually was listening to to choose, on internal storage, and card slot, the same song all over, you could scroll down and see only one song. Reboot, and everything was fine again

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #1,612 of 7,140
Yesterday first time noticed strange behaviour from QP1R. Listening to Prince (how could I not), and from now playing screen I pushed back button, and suddenly all songs were the same in the browse files menu, there was only the song I actually was listening to to choose, on internal storage, and card slot, the same song all over, you could scroll down and see only one song. Reboot, and everything was fine again

It's a little computer.   Computers are larky.   

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #1,613 of 7,140
I love this DAP. I use it almost every day and the ability to drive full sized headphones with musicality is a real breakthrough for my portable use. I do have a few quabbles with it though that I'd like to see worked out in the future:

1. Having to turn on the screen to raiser and lower the volume, pause/rewind/fast forward is very irksome. 

2. The screen is too small for my eyes with the font and resolution given. The battery percentage and volume level are very difficult for me to make out in particular. 

3. If and when there is a version 2, I'd love see the entire front face a hi-res touch based system (yes, I know I'm dreaming). 

4. The clicks on the volume knob are just too loosely placed. I'd like to see smaller easier to achieve increments. 

5. I little more battery life would be very much appreciated. 

Again, these are just little niggles with a device that has truly captured my attention. 

Apr 22, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #1,620 of 7,140
For those that are having volume knob lock issues as well as other inquiries that have been documented, please read the 1.0.5 Firmware Update Notes and the review (first post) of this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back