Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Apr 23, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #1,636 of 7,140
Tomorrow is an A&K event that I'm going to be attending, and I'm going to compare the AK320, AK380, QP1R, and post my observations in the near future in the review thread. It will mostly be comprised of sound quality impressions, but will add anything I see extraordinary out of the three. The Rosie and other JH IEMs will be at the event I'm attending tomorrow as well so I'm going to try to get some time with as much equipment as I can.

Comparing the HD 800 and HD 800 S at AXPONA

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Try and have a listen to the Audeze Sine if it's there....

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #1,638 of 7,140
Woah. Okay so my qp1r glitched out just now. Switched it on after a few days of not being used.

It had 64%. Then, just as I was plugging in my ciem, the screen shut off. Could not turn it on and after I found my charging cable after a few minutes, I could turn it on again.

However, there were no songs to be found in the player nor my sd cards. Plugged into my laptop and my songs were all there.

There was no way to get the qp1r to find a song until I did a factory restore and storage formatting. Then it could read my sd cards again.

Questyle if you're reading this, I would definitely like a new FW soon.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #1,639 of 7,140
I have a question; I bought a Toslink cable to connect to my NFB-15. The end connecting to the Line Out of the QP1R is not fitting snugly and is loose - it sounds good, but it can basically just slip out if I pull it... I purchased the wrong cable and am not using the adapter that came with the unit. Is this okay? Is sound being affected? I played with the how deep it could insert and it seems like I could pull it quite far out without the sound canceling out or going weird on me.

Thanks

Apr 23, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #1,640 of 7,140

I've been wanting to listen to it! I've seen it around, but my friend had a custom cable attached to his and I wanted to listen to one that had the stock cable attached to it. Hopefully today!

I've tried the hd800 and qp1r pairing. And dayum does it need some tube warmth. Bright and thin sounding. Is the hd800S a better pairing? I've heard the hd800S before but only with the hdvd800

I like both based on my mood, but most of the time, I love quality bass that I can feel. That should tell you which one is my main preference. :beerchug:

I have a question; I bought a Toslink cable to connect to my NFB-15. The end connecting to the Line Out of the QP1R is not fitting snugly and is loose - it sounds good, but it can basically just slip out if I pull it... I purchased the wrong cable and am not using the adapter that came with the unit. Is this okay? Is sound being affected? I played with the how deep it could insert and it seems like I could pull it quite far out without the sound canceling out or going weird on me.

Thanks

Not sure the sound differences since we haven't heard your specific setup with the same music formats, etc., but I would definitely use the adapter that came with your QP1R or purchase and use one, so you won't have the cable slip out and possibly/more than likely adversely affect sound quality.

Apr 23, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #1,642 of 7,140
I decided to return the QP1R. I thought it was a fantastic device compared to my desktop combo the NFB-15.32 + HD650. Everything just sounds really good, but I couldn't help but think that a dedicated desktop solution would be better for my needs, since I would be simultaneously playing video games along with listening at the same time, instead of linking the QP1R to the NFB-15 dac to use for music only. The sound a great pairing with toslink, I was really wow'd by the 2-3 songs I played. The soundstage blossomed really nicely. Whether I regret the decision will remain to be seen in the next few months. I'll definitely be on the lookout for any future Questyle products in the future. If only I had a budget to have em' all.

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #1,643 of 7,140
  Any owners of the QP1R feel as if it could replace a desktop DAC/Amp? I know there is a price to performance point to be made but I was wondering if it could go toe to toe with brands say like, the M9XX, Bifrost/Asgard, NFB-28? The sound I feel is a good step over the NFB-15. I think it's great device but my imagination is telling me it could be better, and I will eventually spend to make it better. Just wondering --- anyone willing to compare the QP1R to their desktop? Thanks

edit: Nevermind; I think this is pretty good already, especially if people are comparing it to DAPS ~3800... I'll be happy with what I have

I find it favourable as a stand-alone when compared to my Hugo.  I don't feel like I'm missing out either way.  Actually, with the QP, I can listen to .DSD, whereas it's too tricky to get the Hugo to do that with my FB2K XP setup.
I do believe it can stand up alongside many desktop rigs without shame.

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #1,644 of 7,140

My friend came to the event but didn't bring his Sine! No worries though, I was still able to compare the AK320, AK380 and AK380cu with the QP1R.

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #1,646 of 7,140
I find it favourable as a stand-alone when compared to my Hugo.  I don't feel like I'm missing out either way.  Actually, with the QP, I can listen to .DSD, whereas it's too tricky to get the Hugo to do that with my FB2K XP setup.
I do believe it can stand up alongside many desktop rigs without shame.

I agree. It became quite apparent that the QP1R was something special when I would A/B against multi thousand dollar desktop setups (not naming any), and adoring the clean, detailed and complete sound signature the QP1R delivers compared to certain setups.

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #1,647 of 7,140
So there are some QP1R PM3 combinations around this thread. I once again would like to ask bout some EQ recommendations, experiences. I love the combo, sill think could tweak a little bit more out of this.

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #1,648 of 7,140
QP1R with accompanying paraphernalia...
smile.gif

Apr 24, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #1,650 of 7,140

How would you describe the sound characteristics of the therium vs. the stock Shure cable?

I'm withholding any comparrisons with the stock and my Ref Silver Litz until I've been able to log some additional hours on the Therium. My intent is to become absolutely accostomed to the SQ using the Therium, and then swap to the other cables to see if I notice any losses. It should be easier to pick out what I'm not hearing, than trying to explain differences in stepping up the ladder. So far I can't find a single thing about the Therium that I'm not absolutely in love with. Trevor does outstanding work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back