Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Dec 27, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #691 of 7,140
Okay, thanks for the clarification. It's really more about what you overall want more than pure sound quality with regards to the comparison of an external amplifier and the QP1R, in my opinion.

I liked the output sound of the Intruder (balanced), but the fact that it is not an all in one solution and turns the connected smartphone/internet-cable device to a local music player (have to put in airplane-type of mode) because of RF interference/incessant hissing was enough for me to not like the increase of audio fidelity of the Intruder more than having to make a plethora of sacrifices (need new balanced cable, purchase of the Intruder, adding to bulk so everything is much less portable, making sure an extra device is charged up or have to use external charger, etcetera).

The sound of the QP1R single ended, coupled with the all in one ability and portability makes me not want or need to use any type of strap-on amplifier, balanced or otherwise.

I just but the bullet and ordered a silver qp1r! I hope it turns out to be as special (for me) as all of you say it is. I almost never do this, but with what is being said about it, just wouldn't feel right never trying it! Thanks to you and everyone else for answering my questions.

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #692 of 7,140

Hello everybody , 
i am a new member of this community and for 3 weeks now i've been a happy owner of the QP1R.
The firmware on my QP1R has been 1.0.4 since day 1 and it works perfectly on my unit.

@ moedawg140 : your wonderful review persuaded me to upgrade from Fiio X5ii , it is well worth the extra investment ! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Welcome!  What IEM(s)/headphone(s) are you currently and/or planning to pair the QP1R with?

A picture of my favorite combo : QP1R & PSB M4U 2.
Other over ear headphones : AKG K551 & Klipsch M40 (both up for sale)
Other in ear headphones : Philips fidelio S2 & a-JAYS four.
Waiting for arrival : Havi B3 pro 1

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #693 of 7,140

@moedawg140 It's just been 1 day with this. Sound is opening up as time goes by. It definitely has a better overall sound compared to Vk-1, especially much wider sound stage and better imaging. Sub-bass is just terrific, the most deepest sub-bass I've heard from a headphone (Excluding PH6 as it is not portable for most).

Blow by Blow and Bitches Brew, Hand Cannot Erase, A State of Trance to name a few all sound great from the QP1R/ Pryma partnership. Bit underwhelmed with the isolation, as I feel the T51P and Nad Viso HP50 do a better job, cranking up the volume or listening to tracks with louder overall presentation helped, as it is a must in places with a lot of noise but then again I've never been able to listen to Webern or Takemitsu with absolute isolation in the public place with any headphone or IEM up to date.  

More impressions to follow along with a full review.

So... How about those headphones?
Details.
They look stylish...

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #694 of 7,140
So... How about those headphones?
Details.
They look stylish...

Need more time with these. They definitely sound better than the Aedle VK-1 and Nad Viso 50. They look and feel like the old Denon classic, Ahd-950 (1994 Discontinued), but SQ wise with pronounced bass both in quality and quantity, tamed highs, but a narrower sound stage. 

In one v one test on same tracks, both the D-950 and Pryma are neck to neck as both have their pros and cons, with the Pryma more favorable due to the portability factor and a tad better isolation. Transition from mids to highs is also better in the Pryma as D-950 has a very strange transition, which feels a bit un-natural due to highs being a bit dry and crammed up. 

For now they sound great for a set of portables on the go and in office , sans the isolation as it is average at best. SQ wise it is still 2nd  compared to the Final Pandora Hope VI, but it is more portable, lighter and convenient due to its size, cables and weight. 

P.S- Impressions based on the basis of Qp1R as the source and no additional equipment. With a desktop Class A amp, the SQ gets even better. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #695 of 7,140
  Need more time with these. They definitely sound better than the Aedle VK-1 and Nad Viso 50. They look and feel like the old Denon classic, Ahd-950 (1994 Discontinued), but SQ wise with pronounced bass both in quality and quantity, tamed highs, but a narrower sound stage. 

In one v one test on same tracks, both the D-950 and Pryma are neck to neck as both have their pros and cons, with the Pryma more favorable due to the portability factor and a tad better isolation. Transition from mids to highs is also better in the Pryma as D-950 has a very strange transition, which feels a bit un-natural due to highs being a bit dry and crammed up. 

For now they sound great for a set of portables on the go and in office , sans the isolation as it is average at best. SQ wise it is still 2nd  compared to the Final Pandora Hope VI, but it is more portable, lighter and convenient due to its size, cables and weight. 

P.S- Impressions based on the basis of Qp1R as the source and no additional equipment. With a desktop Class A amp, the SQ gets even better. 

Thanks! :)

Dec 30, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #697 of 7,140
Hi All

I'm just about the bite the bullet and purchase a QP1R. Just need confirmation that this standalone unit with no external amp, will significantly out-perform my FiiO X5ii and FiiO E12A with my Shure SRH 1540 headphones and will accept 200gb SD cards.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Darren

The answer is yes on all counts.
QP1R is first DAP were all my external amps have become redundant or at least rested.

Dec 30, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #699 of 7,140
Hi

Thanks for the reply. Just what I wanted to hear. Although I totally believe you and the others who have posted reviews on the QP1R, it's just hard to get my head around, not needing an external amp. I even used one with my first Dap, an iPod Classic 160gb. 

Before I went portable, I used to have reasonably high end two channel systems and always had NAIM pre/power amps. It's just what I'm used to! It will be more convenient to have one unit though.

I think I will keep the X5ii and E12A amp though, as I live in Jersey, will use them on the beach with some Sennheiser Momentum on-ears.

Regards

Darren

I just got a QP1R and it drives all of my headphones, and they all sound great. This plucky DAP, even can drive my Alpha Primes, which are power pigs. I can now semi retire my Fiio e12, which I have used for over 2 years.

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #701 of 7,140
Hi

Just one more quick question. I have searched this, but I can't find out if the QP1R can be used as a DAC. What I mean is plugging it into a PC's USB port and outputting to it's headphones, using something like Foobar.

Regards

Darren

Not going to work due to hardware limitation.

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #702 of 7,140
A picture of my favorite combo : QP1R & PSB M4U 2.
Other over ear headphones : AKG K551 & Klipsch M40 (both up for sale)
Other in ear headphones : Philips fidelio S2 & a-JAYS four.
Waiting for arrival : Havi B3 pro 1

Nice list and enjoy the Havi when it arrives!

Great impressions, xEcuToR. It will be great to listen to the Pryma, even if it may not sound as liquid and coherent as the Pandora Hope VI.

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #703 of 7,140
It'll be great if this unit accepts the new 200gb cards. Has anyone tried using one on the QP1R? Will definitely get the bigger cards if they work well as I have a lot of music to put on this device. More room, the better.

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #704 of 7,140
  It'll be great if this unit accepts the new 200gb cards. Has anyone tried using one on the QP1R? Will definitely get the bigger cards if they work well as I have a lot of music to put on this device. More room, the better.

I have two of them in my QP1r, so 432GB of on board storage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back