REVIEW: Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. Caliente home headphone amp - updated with comments on regular KICAS
Mar 9, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #286 of 395
I've got a KICAS Caliente and HD 650 combo that I am looking to sell if anyone is interested. Both new in Fall 2008. About 200 hrs break in time, 100 use. Plenty of pics available as well as other online reference's (as I am a new member here).

Great sounding combo, just need a more portable solution.

PM for further info and leave email if interested in pics

Thanks.

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #287 of 395
Would I be wasting money buying a Gilmore Lite instead of the KICAS? I'm buying mostly for my HD650. I recently decided to go solid state instead of tubes, but the amount of time I'll have to wait for the KICAS is too long for me (I'm impatient to a severe fault when it comes to new toys for this hobby), unless the KICAS is absolutely superior to the Gilmore Lite.

My main concern is to power the HD650 well. The Total AirHead does not do so (example: bass extension is poor).

edited to add: HeadAmp has a return policy. I'm going to get the Gilmore Lite, and if I feel the need for something better, I'll send it back and wait for the KICAS to be available again for the general public.

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #290 of 395
Quote:

Originally Posted by CompressionalFlagellation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what happened to your d7000s?

Sent it back to HeadRoom. I got tired of the v-shaped response. Tons of bass, tons of treble, lack of midrange.

From this point on, I refuse to pay more than $200 for such a sound signature.

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #291 of 395
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sent it back to HeadRoom. I got tired of the v-shaped response. Tons of bass, tons of treble, lack of midrange.

From this point on, I refuse to pay more than $200 for such a sound signature.

How does it compare with your 650s? I actually considered a Denon, due to its reported "superior bass" -- but with what you're telling me, i'm glad I stuck with getting the 650s. What will you do now, consider getting the HD800 again?

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #292 of 395
Quote:

Originally Posted by CompressionalFlagellation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does it compare with your 650s? I actually considered a Denon, due to its reported "superior bass" -- but with what you're telling me, i'm glad I stuck with getting the 650s. What will you do now, consider getting the HD800 again?

I might get the HD800 in the distant future (when it is ~$1000 or less).

The HD650 is comparable to the D7000, but with better decay (like a cymbal trailing off), instrument separation, midrange body, and soundstage (all this is besides the major difference in response - D7000 is strong bass, strong treble, weak mids, HD650 is slightly strong bass, solid mids, slightly weak treble). The D7000 has better bass extension and perhaps bass quality.

I've decided to get the Woo Audio 6, which was my plan before I let my impatience get to me. The Gilmore Lite is probably pretty much worthless in comparison to the Woo Audio 6.

edited to add: The KICAS would probably fair much better, but I want a tube amp.

Apr 18, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #293 of 395
skylab,
how does the kicas compare to audio gds amp at the same price level? I have a gilmore lite and was wondering if any of these are more neutral and natural sounding amps

Apr 18, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #294 of 395
In my limited experience with the Gilmore Lite (I had one here for a few weeks for review but it was several years ago), I thought it had a very light, even slightly lean, tonal balance. The KICAS is more neutral. And I also believe (again from memory) having the smoother and more transparent sound.

Apr 18, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #295 of 395
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
skylab,
how does the kicas compare to audio gds amp at the same price level? I have a gilmore lite and was wondering if any of these are more neutral and natural sounding amps

Skylab reviewed the C2C here.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #296 of 395
Sorry for the Bump,

I am interested in getting a K701 and and am looking for an amp to drive these properly

So far I am deciding between

Corda Cantate (DAC/Amp)
Purity Audio Caliente (Amp)

How do these two compare, which would be better for the K701?

Also If I decide to go the Caliente route, I will need a DAC

My current DAC is the Ibasso D3 - Will this be sufficient with the Caliente?

So it will go Laptop > Ibasso D3 Output (DAC only mode) > Caliente > K701.

Hope you can help.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #297 of 395
I cannot help there since I have not heard it with the K701 since I did not own the K701 for very long.

May 5, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #298 of 395
Quote:

Originally Posted by djevoultion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the Bump,

I am interested in getting a K701 and and am looking for an amp to drive these properly

Corda Cantate (DAC/Amp)

Hope you can help.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Have you checked out this review http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ifier-336473/?

May 5, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #299 of 395
Quote:

Originally Posted by djevoultion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the Bump,

Corda Cantate (DAC/Amp)

Hope you can help.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

There is a review of the Caliente that said "the Caliente was MADE for the K701 and they are a perfect match". I just don't have time to find the link right now. Do a search for K701 and Caliente.

I did try the D3 with a K702 and it was sufficient, but my desktop amps were all better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back