REVIEW: Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. Caliente home headphone amp - updated with comments on regular KICAS
Jun 28, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #317 of 395
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where can I buy the golden Caliente in Europe?

If you get no replies to your question from European vendors, here are a few suggestions for purchasing a Gold Caliente:

Here's a link to the Purity Audio Order webpage:
Purity Audio Order Page
to order it on-line, direct from Purity Audio.

You might also go to the Purity Audio website:
Purity Audio
and send them a message asking whether they know of a European vendor for their amps.

I hope you find a workable way to purchase what you are looking for.

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #318 of 395
Has anyone in Europe ordered one of these and got themselves a hefty customs bill when it arrived? I'm thinking of getting one but am put off slightly as I've never ordered anything at this kind of price from the US and don't want to face substantial additional charges which could have been spent on a more expensive, possibly better, amp.

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #319 of 395
If it makes a difference the amp will ship from Canada not the United States of America.

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #320 of 395
I was within a day of ordering Ray Samuels SR-71A Blackbird, when I ran across this review of the Kicas Caliente...I know one is a home amp and the other portable, but which one in your opinion has better overall SQ

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #321 of 395
I've never compared them, but if you don't need a portable, I would go with the Caliente. It's got a discrete output stage, and really sounds nice.

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #322 of 395
Thanks; that's all the push I needed, I just ordered the gold one. I see they're on vacation until 09/14, so I'll just look at the pics until then
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #323 of 395
Quote:

Originally Posted by runningman1960 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was within a day of ordering Ray Samuels SR-71A Blackbird, when I ran across this review of the Kicas Caliente...I know one is a home amp and the other portable, but which one in your opinion has better overall SQ

Edit: While I was editing my post, I didn't see your post. Well, here's another opinion confirming your decision anyway.....

I own one of each. I have used the SR71A at work, where I need to completely set up my listening rig every day and take it completely down every night. The sound quality with the SR71A brought a LOT of what I could expect from my home rigs into work with me. As far as I can tell by having listened to it every day at work for months, this amp does nothing wrong, and a whole lot right. It has really fine SQ. It was not a rare occurence for me to stay at work "for just one more song" for an entire album or two. And this was with my work phones: Yuin PK1.

At home, where I can set up a rig and leave it, I use the Caliente with full-sized phones. Being a wall-powered rig, (and one that makes excellent use of that power) it simply delivers MORE of all of the goodness that one gets from a headphone amp. It sounds as though the sound has more "depth" - not just spatially, but dynamically as well. As though the sounds are more fully formed, more present and "live". Having heard some good portable amps (TTVJ Portable Millet, SR71A, D10 with a variety of rolled-in opamps) and the Caliente, all of the really good-sounding sonic features that the portables portray, the Caliente does as well, and usually more convincingly.

This is a can't lose decision. Whatever amp you get, you're a winner. They're both fine, and wonderful-sounding amps. It is my opinion that the Caliente will drive a wider variety of phones (including IEMs, I've tested it with the Shure SE530), and drive them more to the limits of what they can deliver than the SR-71A. I still own the SR-71A and I intend to keep it for life. The Caliente is the amp in my main rig. The Amphora and Mapletree Ear+ HD take turns as the amp in my bedside rig. I think very highly of the Caliente as a headphone amp, even among other home amps costing, literally, two to three times as much. To my ear, the Caliente gives the headphones what they need to give their best rendition of the music, and gets out of the way.

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #326 of 395
That actually isn't a hard choice. I have not heard the HF-2, but have heard both amps. The Caliente is for sure on the warm side of neutral, and the GLite is on the cool side of neutral. You just have to decide which is better for the HF-2. Do you want them warmed up or cooled down?

By the way, if you want them neither warmed up or cooled down, then you might consider the regular KICAS, not the Caliente.

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #328 of 395
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That actually isn't a hard choice. I have not heard the HF-2, but have heard both amps. The Caliente is for sure on the warm side of neutral, and the GLite is on the cool side of neutral. You just have to decide which is better for the HF-2. Do you want them warmed up or cooled down?

By the way, if you want them neither warmed up or cooled down, then you might consider the regular KICAS, not the Caliente.

Thanks, I will probably go with the regular KICAS or the Mini Millet Max.

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #329 of 395
so,how does the caliente compard to the EF1? anybody can comment on that?
I would really like to know which is more powerfull in the bass department. (quantity)
although from the comments on the caliente it is more to the warm side and has a deep bass, can it get to the levels of the EF1 with a pretty warm tube... like the mullard for example?
If it (the caliente) is really a warm ss amp with a full bass response I would love to give it a try, but if the EF1 with a warm tube has more bass than I would stick with it and keep rolling tubes.

EDIT: by the way...it is one of the warmest (bass quantiy) ss amps around..? can other ss amps can fight it in the bass department? the only experience I have with full ss amps is with the headroom ultra micro and I wouldn't call it a warm amp. it is more to the dynamic and analytical sound IMO.

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #330 of 395
Unfortunately I no longer have either one on hand. The EF-1 can have more, different "sounds" by tube rolling it, whereas the Caliente is a great but slightly warm sounding amp always. Both are very good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back