Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Jan 19, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #3,107 of 3,234
Bravo. That's all that can be said regarding your monumental thread.

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #3,108 of 3,234
Sky, you are so willing and generous to all of our requests.  You could have finished this review weeks ago but you hang in there to satisfy our headfi curiosity.  You have been fair and patient by waiting to get the same stock cable balance and se for a fair test.  You are a class act and a gentleman.  We are indebted to your time and your expertise.  Kostalex said it well, "you are and will always be a headfi legend.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #3,109 of 3,234
Thanks for the kind words, all!

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #3,110 of 3,234

Quote:
Bravo. That's all that can be said regarding your monumental thread.

Skylab I have followed your work here for years whilst doing quite a bit of comparison myself when I first joined.  Your consistent dedication to HeadFi and this task in particular will, I am sure, continue into HeadFi legend.

Well done, and enjoy your time now listening simply for personal pleasure and enjoyment.

THANK YOU!

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #3,111 of 3,234
Great stuff, Rob, and I admit to being a little surprised. Not surprised by the fact that the Stepdance, clearly one of your favourite portable amps of all time (!), was bested by two more expensive amps, but by your comments on the neutral tonality of the Stepdance. Up to this point, I had been led to believe that the Meier amp was warmer than the 3Move and more inclined to flatter poor recordings than that amp. As usual, I suspect that I have missed your point entirely and the Stepdance remains your bang-for-buck amp for those of us who have $350 to spend.

The only other point I would make is that this thread took a downward turn when your relationship with a certain amp maker was called into question - I would ask those who found it necessary to dig this up to revisit your earliest reviews of one of Phil Larocco's amps. Clearly, in your praise for the LisaIII and the L3, you have been able to separate the idiosyncrasies of certain people from their products - kudos. All Phil has to do now is batten down the hatches and ramp up L3 production :)

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #3,112 of 3,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[snip]...and the Stepdance remains your bang-for-buck amp for those of us who have $350 to spend.

Absolutely and unequivocally.  The Stepdance is THE bargain here for sure, being about 50% of the price of the other two, and basically as good sounding.

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #3,113 of 3,234
Thanks you so much, Skylab! I am sure this thread will remain a goldmine of information. This thread is really great. I loved the final comparison.

Great Job!
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #3,115 of 3,234
thank so much skylab.
Thank for the great thread and thank for always be a gentleman here.

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #3,116 of 3,234
I have read this review 2 times and decided to get the RSA Hornet, very nice sounding amp. Thanks skylab for the great detailed review 
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #3,118 of 3,234
I personally would love to see if you able to put up the home amp as the portable amp format. The rating always valid if you put a time stamp on which date that you reviewed. It doesnt matter if related to the later time because the format here is easy to understand and related to other gear than general for us to guess. At least we know where this reviewed equipment stands during that time. :)

by the way, UE TF10 rocks!
Quote:
Yeah I did decide to keep my portable amp reviews all consolidated here, although I did not do the same with my home amp or headphone reviews. I'm not really sure which is the better approach. This thread has a consistent methodology, which for portable amps I found appealing given the fairly minuscule feature differences. But the fact remains that in some ways it just isn't workable to have something like this go on this long and retain its value (as some folks have pointed out...). Many of the amps I reviewed early on are discontinued, or have been revved such that their ratings aren't all that relevant now. So that has been part of my thinking as to why this thread has kind of run its course.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #3,120 of 3,234
Thank you very much Sky.  I like you to know that it was this very thread of yours that helped me decide on my first portable amp - the Mustang, when I decided to have a portable system about two years ago.  Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back