Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Jan 22, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #3,137 of 3,234

Quote:
The fact that is brings out the mids sounds great, but I have a feeling I wouldn't like the "controlled bass" aspect part of it because I like to have as much bass as possible and I need an amp that will improve the bass rather than control it.
Quote:
Quote:
Do you think you could recommend an amp out of the ones you reviewed that would be best suited for Denon D2000's under $230? I know this isn't an easy question to answer, especially if you've never used the D2000's, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I'll take a shot at that - I thought the 3MOVE was very good with those, and it filled in the recessed mids and controlled the bass nicely.

Where in the world would you get the idea that "controlled bass" means reduced bass???  It means that the bass is less "one-note" and more detailed than with some other amps.  The bass with 3MOVE is very powerful.

Quote:
Quote:
The fact that is brings out the mids sounds great, but I have a feeling I wouldn't like the "controlled bass" aspect part of it because I like to have as much bass as possible and I need an amp that will improve the bass rather than control it.
Quote:
Quote:
Do you think you could recommend an amp out of the ones you reviewed that would be best suited for Denon D2000's under $230? I know this isn't an easy question to answer, especially if you've never used the D2000's, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I'll take a shot at that - I thought the 3MOVE was very good with those, and it filled in the recessed mids and controlled the bass nicely.

My advice would be to get something with bass boost. The Minibox+ has bass boost, but I don;t think it is the greatest amp from what I have read. Many people love the Headstage Arrow, and it has two levels of bass boost and crossfeed. For cheaper options, consider the Ibasso T4. Also, the Fiio E7 has bass boost, but the E11 that is coming out is a dedicated amp and will be cheaper than $100. It will outperform the E7 and probably come close to the Arrow or something like that. 

God no, why would you suggest bass boost on a cheap amp to make the D2000 sound more flabby?  Plus the T4 is not a transparent or detailed amp, and the iPhone headphone jack sounds better.  Maybe the minibox or arrow bass boost is better, but have you actually tried them on a D2000?  The best advice comes out of experience with a pairing, followed by speculation.  If you've tried it then disregard this.

Jan 22, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #3,138 of 3,234

I've just heard other people use "controlled bass" in the sense that they thought there was too much bass previously and the amp brought it down a notch. I'm interested in the 3Move but I can't find anywhere to buy it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Where in the world would you get the idea that "controlled bass" means reduced bass???  It means that the bass is less "one-note" and more detailed than with some other amps.  The bass with 3MOVE is very powerful.

Quote:

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #3,139 of 3,234
To me control bass is opposite to uncontrol bass where the bass is described as boomy, unfocus, loose or not tight.  Control bass to me is tight, crisp, quick attack, not bleeding into higher frequency, but no necessary less bass.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #3,141 of 3,234
Quote:
I've just heard other people use "controlled bass" in the sense that they thought there was too much bass previously and the amp brought it down a notch. I'm interested in the 3Move but I can't find anywhere to buy it 

The 3Move is discontnued. You might find a used one for sale from time to time in the Amps For Sale Forum on here.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #3,142 of 3,234
Headphoneaddict:

The T4 is probably not very helpful at all. The Fiio E7 and the upcoming E11 are probably much better options. Bass boost gives you flexibility, especially for low level listening. I find myself in situations that I would love bass boost, even with pretty bass heavy cans. I haven't had an amp yet, but I have tried receivers and strong DAPs with EQ, and even bass heavy cans and especially bass light ones can really benefit from an extra push on the bass. I am not going for a bloated mess or an ear destroying 
basshead.gif
 sound at all.

From what I have read and observed here, at around $250, the Headstage Arrow is probably the best small single ended amp with bass boost around here, the Ibasso P4 is probably the best single ended amp in that range but is bigger and does not offer bass boost but does offer opamp rolling, and the Ibasso PB1 is very good because it is balanced, which will necessitate recabling. However, the PB1 is still very good single ended, and would probably do an excellent job with the D2000s. I probably missed a few, so please anybody chime in if you feel like it.

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #3,143 of 3,234

Quote:
Headphoneaddict:

The T4 is probably not very helpful at all. The Fiio E7 and the upcoming E11 are probably much better options. Bass boost gives you flexibility, especially for low level listening. I find myself in situations that I would love bass boost, even with pretty bass heavy cans. I haven't had an amp yet, but I have tried receivers and strong DAPs with EQ, and even bass heavy cans and especially bass light ones can really benefit from an extra push on the bass. I am not going for a bloated mess or an ear destroying 
basshead.gif
 sound at all.

From what I have read and observed here, at around $250, the Headstage Arrow is probably the best small single ended amp with bass boost around here, the Ibasso P4 is probably the best single ended amp in that range but is bigger and does not offer bass boost but does offer opamp rolling, and the Ibasso PB1 is very good because it is balanced, which will necessitate recabling. However, the PB1 is still very good single ended, and would probably do an excellent job with the D2000s. I probably missed a few, so please anybody chime in if you feel like it.

I can appreciate that you are trying to be helpful, but you previously made some recommendations as if they were fact without hearing the results for yourself first.  I made my recommendation based on the synergy between a particular amp and headphones, which I have heard.  If you can rephrase things in the future the way you did just now it might be more helpful.

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #3,144 of 3,234

Quote:
I can appreciate that you are trying to be helpful, but you previously made some recommendations as if they were fact without hearing the results for yourself first.  I made my recommendation based on the synergy between a particular amp and headphones, which I have heard.  If you can rephrase things in the future the way you did just now it might be more helpful.

+1

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #3,145 of 3,234

He is helpful. Look, he summarizes some info from the extensive reading. He made all necessary reservations ("FWIR", "probably") and did not add his own words. This may save reading time for many. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #3,146 of 3,234

Quote:

He is helpful. Look, he summarizes some info from the extensive reading. He made all necessary reservations ("FWIR", "probably") and did not add his own words. This may save reading time for many. 

Thanks, Kostalex. I should have phrased it better. When I was a newb here, I had no idea the differences between amps and was hopelessly confused. Now I have some idea, and want to help somebody. 

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #3,147 of 3,234
Hi Everyone,

I have a question for all the experts out there. I have a pair of Beyerdynamic T5p headphones and a Corda Stepdance (that will probably lose its portable character and be left at home with D7000) and I am trying to find another amp only for portable use with T5s.

Since the headphones I use are a tad bit bright and the Stepdance reduces the brightness,  I was thinking that maybe I could buy an amp that would help reduce the brightness/ introduce some warmth,

I read reviews of a few amps in this thread (thanks for them SkyLab) and I thought that maybe those on the warmer side of sound signature could be better to reduce brightness.

I was thinking about Headamp Pico, iBasso D4 Mamba and Ray Samuels Mustang P-51 - listed in order of preference.

What do you all think about my choices? Am I right about getting a warm amp to reduce brightness?

TIA,
Szadzik

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #3,148 of 3,234
Jack, you might want to look into something along the lines of a Ray Samuels Hornet, especially a non "M" version.

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #3,150 of 3,234

Users who are viewing this thread

Back