Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Aug 9, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #2,041 of 3,234
I tried the Matchbox some time ago, and wasn't too impressed. When used with IEMs, it didn't add much to the experience and the amp sounded very veiled. Maybe it could be used to power harder to drive headphones, but for IEMs I preferred the sound out of my iPod.

I didn't try the Matchbox with a line out dock, though, as most LODs cost more than the Matchbox. I figured, for that price, I shouldn't have to spend more than the amp to get the most out of it.

Prefer my HeadSix.

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #2,043 of 3,234
About half the size of the HeadSix, but felt a lot lighter.

Aug 12, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #2,045 of 3,234
Anyone noticed that about 3/4 of the amps on this list are 'Out of Stock' from the suppliers!
Each time I think, ok I'll get that one .. its same old 'Out Of Stock'

Maybe I'll just buy the IQube and says I thought the price was dollars not euros, 'oopps'

BT

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #2,046 of 3,234
There is no doubt that quite a few of these have been replaced with newer models, although certainly not all, and I think probably less than half.

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #2,047 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone noticed that about 3/4 of the amps on this list are 'Out of Stock' from the suppliers!
Each time I think, ok I'll get that one .. its same old 'Out Of Stock'

Hey Skylab....I think he's suggesting that you need to start over
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #2,048 of 3,234
Yeah, I was afraid of that
biggrin.gif

Not going to happen, though - my head-fi reviewing interests have been more with home amps lately.

Aug 12, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #2,049 of 3,234
Yes, Skylab's done his part in reviewing a large share of portable amps, including those that aren't as common amongst Head-fiers. Asking him to re-do or update the review would be unnecessarily cruel, as I'm sure he put a LOT of work into this one. Plus, many of the amps were on loan, so I imagine Skylab would not want to have to re-ask everyone.

Aug 12, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #2,052 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be great if you could collate all your home amp reviews and put them in one big thread akin to this one for your portable reviews.

Hmmmmm...that's a good idea! I will have to work on that. I have reviewed more than a dozen home amps, it might be nice to have a single thread for them with some comparative rankings.

Aug 13, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #2,053 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmmm...that's a good idea! I will have to work on that. I have reviewed more than a dozen home amps, it might be nice to have a single thread for them with some comparative rankings.

YES! I would love to see that. I think your reviews are among the very best!

Aug 13, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #2,054 of 3,234
Hi Skylab, I already reserved a 2Move, but I have one question: can we compare the amp section of the 2move in sound quality to the predator, hornet M and pico? is it better? or is it just a matter of sound signatures?
Thanks to you I ended up saving for an amp. You are really evil skylab!
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #2,055 of 3,234
The best thing to do in terms of comparing those amps is to read the sections on them in my review, and then also the other big portable amp review threads that are on head-fi, and try to get an idea based on those what seems like it would be best to you. I prefer the 2Move out of those, but all of those are great amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back