Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Aug 13, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #2,056 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmmm...that's a good idea! I will have to work on that. I have reviewed more than a dozen home amps, it might be nice to have a single thread for them with some comparative rankings.

Excellent, I will look forward to reading that with comparative rankings etc.

ty.

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #2,057 of 3,234
Just got my XXS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

I'm like a kid on Christmas day at the moment, and also having a bit of an eargasm!
biggrin.gif

Shall post some thoughts once I've burnt it in and listened to it with my other gear!

Aug 22, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #2,058 of 3,234
Received a surprise from my father: A Storm B3.

I find it lacking in bass so far, and definitely not as good sounding as my XXS, which I've become addicted to.

Should I consider selling it to somebody, or will it get better after lots of burn-in?

Aug 23, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #2,059 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received a surprise from my father: A Storm B3.

I find it lacking in bass so far, and definitely not as good sounding as my XXS, which I've become addicted to.

Should I consider selling it to somebody, or will it get better after lots of burn-in?

IMO, it will never sound as good as the XXS. Burn in will help. But since you have the XXS, I'm not sure you will ever actually use the B3. I have an iQube and an XXS, and I only use the XXS when I want something really small, since the iQube is better, and where possible, I want to listen to the best portable amp I have.

Aug 23, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #2,061 of 3,234
I thought I should show my appreciation here. I currently own a headsix, and this review helped me with making the decision to buy it. I've enjoyed following your reviews since before I joined Head-fi, reading this was one of the unlucky events that drew me in here. Thanks.

I do have one question. I seem to have the common hiss on my headsix when adjusting the volume, but only in the right channel. Is this a sign of some problem? There doesn't seem to be anything wrong when it's playing...

Aug 23, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #2,062 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Than /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do have one question. I seem to have the common hiss on my headsix when adjusting the volume, but only in the right channel. Is this a sign of some problem? There doesn't seem to be anything wrong when it's playing...

The potentiometer in the Headsix is prone to do this. (noisy knob). There are a couple of threads about this. Some people recommend using electric contact cleaner but Jan Meier advised me against it. He recommended immersing the PCB in alcohol. I tried this and did not work. it is annoying when adjusting the volume but it does not affect sound quality.

Aug 23, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #2,063 of 3,234
Yeah, thanks to skylab review and honest answers from Jan meier, i get my Arietta. I still haven't had problems with my amp....
Quote:

I thought I should show my appreciation here. I currently own a headsix, and this review helped me with making the decision to buy it. I've enjoyed following your reviews since before I joined Head-fi, reading this was one of the unlucky events that drew me in here. Thanks.

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #2,064 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The potentiometer in the Headsix is prone to do this. (noisy knob). There are a couple of threads about this. Some people recommend using electric contact cleaner but Jan Meier advised me against it. He recommended immersing the PCB in alcohol. I tried this and did not work. it is annoying when adjusting the volume but it does not affect sound quality.

I'm pretty sure it's just static. If I turn the knob a bit with no music playing, it goes away. I was prepared for it when I purchased the amp, but was surprised that it was only in one channel. Doesn't seem to be anything to worry about though.

Aug 24, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #2,065 of 3,234
Quote:

I'm pretty sure it's just static. If I turn the knob a bit with no music playing, it goes away. I was prepared for it when I purchased the amp, but was surprised that it was only in one channel. Doesn't seem to be anything to worry about though.

It is not static if we are talking about the same thing. I am not the only one who has reported this. Even Jan Meier had some suggestions which did not work. It does not affect the overall sound but I do find it irritating. I dont know if this is a common problem with other portable amplifiers. In my case, I hear the scratchy noise when I turn the knob, whether there is music or not.

Aug 30, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #2,069 of 3,234

Users who are viewing this thread

Back