Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
May 25, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #1,952 of 3,234
I have no current plans to, but you never know
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #1,953 of 3,234
He probably cant just run out and buy every amp around to do these reviews, but im sure any portable amp sent to him, he would probably review.
smily_headphones1.gif

So send him some amps he hasnt reviewed!

May 30, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #1,956 of 3,234
Thanks for the kind words. Are those amps really $.02? Wow that would be cheap!
wink.gif

At the moment I am not buying any amps to review (I assume that amp is actually more than 2 cents cost), but if the maker asks me to review them, I generally will.

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #1,959 of 3,234
Skylab,

Hello from Indianapolis! If you have a chance to reply, I have a question that is driving me crazy. As you know, sound descriptions of portable amps can be very subjective.

I'm looking for a headphone amp that doesn't alter the original sound of my 5.5 imod...at all. I don't want more treble or bass extension, I don't want the soundstage to be wider or deeper. When I listen to the imod in the car, I bypass the amp and go direct. Then I don't push up the treble or the bass. I just love that pure sound. I have the corda move, which is lovely, but it does add things to the sound. Any idea which portable would best suit my needs? I currently have tried the move and the decware zenhead (still breaking in). Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially by my wallet.
Dave

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #1,960 of 3,234
Basically you're after a neutral amp (one that doesn't add or take away anything) and you're describing the iQube.

I have an iQube/iMod 5.5g and its a lovely combo. If you budget permits, get the iQube. Its a superb piece of work.

my $0.02...

Jun 6, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #1,961 of 3,234
x2 on the iQube. Start saving you pennies, I'm glad I did.

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #1,962 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab,

Hello from Indianapolis! If you have a chance to reply, I have a question that is driving me crazy. As you know, sound descriptions of portable amps can be very subjective.

I'm looking for a headphone amp that doesn't alter the original sound of my 5.5 imod...at all. I don't want more treble or bass extension, I don't want the soundstage to be wider or deeper. When I listen to the imod in the car, I bypass the amp and go direct. Then I don't push up the treble or the bass. I just love that pure sound. I have the corda move, which is lovely, but it does add things to the sound. Any idea which portable would best suit my needs? I currently have tried the move and the decware zenhead (still breaking in). Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially by my wallet.
Dave

As stated, the iQube is going to be pretty much it. BUT, it's going to be pretty impossible to get anything that amplifies without ANY sort of coloring. Even the iQube smoothens out the sound and makes the bass FULLER with a broader soundstage. But it's as close as you're gonna get. The only way you'de pretty much be able to do that is with a volume attenuator (like on the Koss KSC75's) that doesn't amplify anything, rather, just lets it limits the max volume. And even then, arguably, you'd get a alteration in sound.

Jun 6, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #1,963 of 3,234
I also agree that given what you are looking for, davidio, the iQube is the best choice. Nothing is 100% neutral, but the iQube is the closest I have heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back