Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Apr 25, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #1,876 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Skylab,
I've not heard almost every amp on your list so I'm not best placed to coment but I do own a C&C Box+ It is the successor to the V2. I noticed you comment on grainy treble and a 'noisy' amp. Not questioning your review but I've found the new V+ to be a very clean sound no audible noise even at maximum volume.

Would be interested to hear your views if you get the chance to listen to this. Maybe C&C read your review and incorporated the improvements they made in the XO!!! cheers.

All people hear things differently. And it's quite possible the box plus is better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab, did you ever get to audition the HeadRoom Total AirHead? I searched this massive thread, and found a few references to it, but it doesn't seem that you got to try one out. I have an '04 model Total AirHead (from back when they offered the "Total" option with upgraded caps/resistors, etc. over the regular AirHead), and have been quite happy with it. After reading your review here, I'm thinking of moving on up to the Corda 2Move, as it has the crossfeed that I've grown to love on my TAH. If you're interested, I can lend you my '04 model for an extended listening session, if you'd care to give it a review, since others have expressed interest in this amp. Just let me know...shoot me a PM either way, and I'd be happy to send it your way.

Thanks for the kind offer, but I will pass. Headroom had initially told me they would send me a microamp to review when it came out, and then when it actually did come out, they ignored my PM asking to get a review sample. So I assume this means they have no desire for me to review their stuff.

Apr 25, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #1,877 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the kind offer, but I will pass. Headroom had initially told me they would send me a microamp to review when it came out, and then when it actually did come out, they ignored my PM asking to get a review sample. So I assume this means they have no desire for me to review their stuff.

I can understand that, lol...don't know whey they WOULDN'T want you to review it, unless they were afraid of how it would stack up vs. some of the other heavy hitters on your list. Still, if you're interested in just hearing it for yourself, let me know. It's a fun little box. I got the clear version too, which is pretty funny...you can see the PCB, but it's slightly opaque, so it's hard to make out what's in there. My only knocks on it in terms of quality are that they are plastic (obviously...I've yet to see a transparent metal, lol), the power and crossfeed switches are tiny, and the volume control is noisy (they said that it's on purpose, because there's no resisitors in the path). Also, the input is on the bottom corner of the unit, and the two output jacks are on the top corners, making for some awkward bends in the cable. I have a 6" Cardas cable with angled jacks, and it barely makes it from the top headphone jack on my Zen Xtra to the input on the amp.

Apr 25, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #1,878 of 3,234
Quote:

Also, the input is on the bottom corner of the unit, and the two output jacks are on the top corners, making for some awkward bends in the cable.

Yet those two output jacks on the Bithead/Airhead range are the only dual output I've come across - double edged sword that allows you to share your music with a friend, if only their preferred volume with their headphones matches your preference with yours.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #1,879 of 3,234
Quote:

Also, while I doubt anyone will notice, I deleted the original rankings from the first phase of the review when it was just 9 amps. I has to do this in order to include the ZenHead, since apparently there is a 100,000 character limit in posts! So the upcoming review of the Graham Slee Voyager looks like it will be the last amp added to this review.

A mod may be willing to interject a post for you.

Apr 26, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #1,880 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the SR-71 above the Pico (either using its DAC or just as an amp) and both a bit above the Hornet (non-M) (as opposed to the true original Hornet of which only 100 or so were made, a number of which have since been converted to Hornet Ms).

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the information.

My (former) Hornet was a non-M version. And IIRC the M modification was an attempt to make the hornet come close to the SR-71 sound although I haven't heard either of those nor the Tomahawk.

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #1,881 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A mod may be willing to interject a post for you.

smily_headphones1.gif
ask for this skylab! Even though I only have the 2Move, I really enjoy reading your reviews for fun! and you recommendation of the 2Move was a great one for me as I'm realizing how great music truly is!

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #1,882 of 3,234
I have just added the following to the review:

> Graham Slee Voyager

Voyager Portable Headphone Amplifier - A New Headphone Amplifier by Graham Slee

A Head-fier was kind enough to loan me a Graham Slee Voyager to test, since a lot of people had asked me about it. The Voyager is highly regarded in many head-fi circles, and indeed, it deserves some of this praise. It has some very good qualities.
One thing that it doesn’t have is good looks. It looks cheap as hell compared to any other headphone amp over $200, and at $350, one has to hope that there are a heck of a lot of high quality parts inside, because the cheap plastic case is pretty lame.
It has a “Contour” switch, which increases bass and treble. I have no use for such things, but some people might. Having a USB power option is kind of handy (it does not contain a DAC though).

In terms of sound, it was a very good overall performer with no real glaring weaknesses, but no earth-shattering areas of performance either.

Build Quality: B-: See above. Also, it pops loudly when powered up. The slider power switch is pretty cheesy too. Really uninspiring build quality, especially for the price. About the best thing I can say about it is that it probably would survive being dropped without incident.
Treble: A-: Generally clean and clear. Good detail, but perhaps just a bit too much sheen.
Midrange: A-: Again, generally clean and transparent, with no obvious coloration. Still, in direct comparison to the iQube, the mids of the Voyager are not as transparent. In fact, the mods of the 2Move are more transparent and open sounding than the Voyager’s. Still, it offers generally very good performance here, and female vocals were very pleasantly reproduced.
Bass: A: The bass was excellent. Like the Decware Zenhead, if has full, powerful, and punchy bass. It too lacked the very last bit of depth that the iQube has, but still very good excellent.
Neutrality: A: Generally very neutral. Impressively so, in fact. Only the slight treble emphasis subtracts here, and it’s not a big deal.
Soundstaging: A: Convincing image stability, and reasonable width combined with excellent depth give it a good score here.
Transparency: A-: Perhaps this is where there is a little failing – there seems to be kind of a gauze through which one hears the music – slight, but there. It prevented me from becoming fully engaged with the music in many instances.

So, I think the Voyager is a very good amp that is overpriced for what it delivers and how it’s packaged. It would be terrific in a nice metal case for $250. At $350 in a cheap plastic case, it’s simply impossible to recommend.

Conclusions (4/28/08)

OK, so now it’s now 40 amps! Here is my view on how the amps stacked up. Note that the sum of the "Grades" I give does not always tell the whole story in how I rank them, since the whole is sometimes greater or lesser than the sum of the parts, and I am often forced to split hairs here, since the list has gotten so long. Also please note that even if these amps include a DAC, that DAC performance was NOT a factor in these rankings AT ALL. Also, for clarification, this ranking is based on sound quality ONLY, and does not take things like size or battery life into account.

1. Triad Audio Lisa III
2. Qables iQube
2. Headamp Pico
2. Larocco Audio Pocket Reference II mk 2 (availability unknown - PLEASE read entire review)
2. Meier Audio 2MOVE (and the older MOVE)
3. RSA SR71
3. RSA The Predator
4. RSA The Hornet “M”
5. Xenos 1HA-EPC (discontinued)
6. RSA Tomahawk
6. Meier Audio XXS / Headsix
7. TTVJ Portable Millet Hybrid
7. Decware Zenhead
8. Xin Reference
8. Meier Audio Porta Corda III (discontinued)
8. Xin SuperMicro IV (current version auditioned 1/22/08)
9. Headamp AE-2
9. Graham Slee Voyager
10. Go-Vibe 7
10. Mini3
11. Leckerton Audio UHA-3
12. Portaphile V2^2
13. mSeed Spirit (discontinued)
14. Mini-Box E
14. Storm B4
15. iBasso P-1 (discontinued)
16. Visely HEA- 1
17. Microshar uAmp107
18. Practical Devices XM4
18. C&C XO
18. iBasso T2
19. Go-Vibe 6 (discontinued)
20. Xtra X-1 Pro
21. Xenos 0HA-REP (discontinued)
21. iBasso T1 (discontinued)
22. Xtra X-1 (discontinued)
23. C&C Box V2
24. Storm B3
25. Little Dot Micro+ (discontinued)

As always, this is JUST MY OPINION, but I hope it has been helpful.

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #1,883 of 3,234
MODS: If you see this post, can you please add a new post #2 for me??? Thanks! I truly cannot add to the Review at this point - I have trimmed as much as I am comfortable trimming. Thanks!

Apr 29, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #1,884 of 3,234
Interesting review on the Graham Slee Voyager. Some people proclaimed it as the second coming. Apparently it's good, but not THAT good. Or at least that's my take on your experience with the amp. People were saying it had this extraordinary, 3-D soundstaging. Did you notice anything so out of this world about its imaging?

Apr 29, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #1,885 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting review on the Graham Slee Voyager. Some people proclaimed it as the second coming. Apparently it's good, but not THAT good. Or at least that's my take on your experience with the amp. People were saying it had this extraordinary, 3-D soundstaging. Did you notice anything so out of this world about its imaging?

I think you'll find most people are generally more favourable of the Voyager.
Not that Skylab's review is inaccurate, it's just his opinion.
And before I get flamed, I am not being critical of Skylab in any way,
I get alot of enjoyment from reading his reviews.

Please read OICDN's review and Miguel's also.

I own the Lisa III XP and the Voyager.
The Voyager with the contour switch turned on is much more engaging than
the Lisa which seems almost muddy in comparison. Of course, listening with
the contour switch on will be too much for some listening tastes.

You really should try it for yourself given the opportunity.

I didn't want to compare the two as I've only recently
acquired the Lisa .....but I can't help going back to the Voyager
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't imagine the sound of the Lisa will alter that much after burn-in
but we'll see. Perhaps it's my cans (Ultrasone 750's)....

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #1,886 of 3,234
I did comment I thought the Voyager's soundstaging was excellent - especially depth and image specificity.

Also, I think my assessment of the Voyager is very similar to Mrarroyo's, especially if you look at the rankings. Oicdn I think may have rated it higher. I was a littleless impressed, but indeed, it is of course my opinion only!

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #1,887 of 3,234
Quote:

... I'm thinking of moving on up to the Corda 2Move, as it has the crossfeed that I've grown to love on my TAH ...

Do not think, just move to 2Move
smily_headphones1.gif

I owned TAH, TBH and Move. Move beats TAH/TBH in any terms, especially in crossfeed quality. The only thing I like more with TAH/TBH is build. Their ergonomic is superior.

Apr 29, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #1,888 of 3,234
Hi Skylab,

I would like to thank you for this humongous review.
It helped me very much to figure out which amp would the best bargain for my wallet capacity.

Your observation on the Corda 2move DAC improvement added to the nice comments you did for the Move convinced me to try and get a 2move (once I'll have sold my portaphile to get some cash) ;-P ).

You've done a lot for many of us.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you again.

Adrien

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #1,889 of 3,234
Quote:

I just added the following to the review:

> Decware ZenHead

DECWARE / High Fidelity Engineering Co.

I was asked by Decware, a maker of many high-end tube amps, to review their portable headphone amp, The ZenHead. When I received it, I was surprised about the size – it’s BIG. It’s as big as the Lisa III. It uses a 9V battery, and has no charging facility. Like the Lisa III, it’s really too big for many portable applications.

ZenHead2sm.gif

The exact size of the ZenHead is 1 inch x 3 inch x 5 inch. That would make it about an inch smaller than the Lisa III (in it's smallest chassis) as far as I can tell. It might not seem like much of a difference but the ZenHead is similar in size to a pack of cigarettes, being about an inch longer. That makes it easy to put in your shirt pocket, where if it were the size of the Lisa III the center of gravity would be too high to ensure it stays in there. The 5 inch length of the ZenHead was chosen to place the volume knob just above the pocket making it easy to operate without having to dig for it.

I realize there is a real fascination for seeing how small headphone amps can be made... but you could also make a cigarette lighter the size of a bottle cap and it only becomes more difficult to use.

I appreciate the time and expertise involved in your review and found it to be spot on pretty much across the board.

Respectfully,

Steve Deckert/DECWARE

Apr 29, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #1,890 of 3,234
Wow, the Voyager is at #9. I have heard a few of the amps on the list and I would put it at #1 of the amps I've heard. It seems to work really well with my Klipsch Custom 3s. My one complaint is that it's very big and heavy. Skylab is right about the looks. It is a rather plain looking amp. If I could put it inside a Pico enclosure then it would be a fantastic amp and not just a great one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back