Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Jan 23, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #1,606 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have enjoyed many amps and continue to enjoy some of them. I can understand a difference in hearing but having heard many amps and having been in high end audio for years and enjoying live music very much to rate the Reference, not because I know Xin etc, etc. , but because of what and only what I hear, down the list, if you are going by sound quality, is silly. I like to be neutral as much as possible but the mids and transparency are one thing I find as one of the most excellent qualities of the Reference. This is with IEM's or large headphones and it helps my puny PortaPros to sound extremely good for what they are. I really can find little if any fault with the Reference. I love music and to me, the Reference IS music.

Well said my friend. But we don't live in an ideal society. And politicing abounds. The Xin Ref. On a Performance/Price ratio. In my humble opinion. Can't be touched. It's sound is "Music to my ears". And in a class by itself. It's balance and note making are unique. And world class. And that is tarnished with other troubles. Which are well documented and I won't name. Can't really seperate one from the other. When the majority of others don't share that handicap. Can you understand that? As part of the total equation?

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #1,607 of 3,234
So what's the big deal about Skylab not feeling as passionately about the Xin Reference as some of you do? He's one person! Get over it! Gee Skylab, how about a re-review, maybe you've got a wax build-up in one ear that might account for that mid-range suckout.

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #1,608 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well said my friend. But we don't live in an ideal society. And politicing abounds. The Xin Ref. On a Performance/Price ratio. In my humble opinion. Can't be touched. It's sound is "Music to my ears". And in a class by itself. It's balance and note making are unique. And world class. And that is tarnished with other troubles. Which are well documented and I won't name. Can't really seperate one from the other. When the majority of others don't share that handicap. Can you understand that? As part of the total equation?

Yes. . . :^)

but I still can not equate this into the absolute sound equation. As a side note yes, as to sound, no.

Jan 23, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #1,609 of 3,234
Sweet, I take it that means the Reference is on it's way to me??? Can't wait to see how my impressions sound compared to yours. I'm stoked on finally getting to hear an XIN offering...

Jan 23, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #1,610 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. . . :^)

but I still can not equate this into the absolute sound equation. As a side note yes, as to sound, no.

That's fair enough my friend.

Jan 23, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #1,611 of 3,234
Hey anyone tried the Ibasso P2 yet? I heard its a very goood one, can you review it the next round? Thanks!!
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #1,612 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly I probably would have a hard time discerning which I like better among the top three or four that I would put up there. It is a hard business attempting to place these. At least Skylab puts his opinions up front and we all can either like them or not.

Can't agree more.

While we may hear things differently, Skylab still have our highest regards and I fully respect his views. I couldn't do even half of what he did.

F. Lo

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #1,613 of 3,234
Thanks, guys. I took a little more time than I had planned with the Xin, because I knew my impressions might ruffle a few feathers. And the funny thing is, I did still rate the amp very highly - it's one of the best portable amps out there in my opinion - I just think there are a very few that are a little better in some regards, whereas some people feel there are none better. That is all good - different strokes.

And yes, Nate, the Xin is on it's way to you, and I will be eager for your impressions!

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #1,614 of 3,234
Not only "different strokes" - everyone has different preferences... but also... they're just isn't a lot of difference in the sound any of those top amps. A user has to be pretty discerning... and compulsive... for the small variations in their sound to make that much difference to them.

So... why does anyone... really care that much... which one is considered "the absolute best"... when that will no doubt vary from user to user... and there isn't that much difference anyway?

There are many more important issues in the World - like... are the Buckeyes really that bad - "yikes"?! Or... are the Giants really that good... or, how's Brady's foot? Or... even... are the Pats "the greatest of all time?" Now those are matters of much greater import!

"Can't we all just get along?"

Jan 23, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #1,615 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, guys. I took a little more time than I had planned with the Xin, because I knew my impressions might ruffle a few feathers. And the funny thing is, I did still rate the amp very highly - it's one of the best portable amps out there in my opinion - I just think there are a very few that are a little better in some regards, whereas some people feel there are none better. That is all good - different strokes.

And yes, Nate, the Xin is on it's way to you, and I will be eager for your impressions!

Sweet.

Don't feel bad man, I hated the way the TTVJ Millet sounded when I heard it. Also, the SR71 wasn't anything to wow at for me either...different strokes for sure.

Jan 23, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #1,616 of 3,234
Thanks for the Reference review Skylab, was looking forward to your impressions.
As others have said, different views/different ears, seems like the Xin amps' sound just isn't your thing (looking at the older Micro review also).

I like how the "top rated" amps in your reviews usually have an A+ in some area, it's interesting to see which areas you think a particular amp shines.
Even though the higher ranked amps are all great, what sets the Reference apart to me (not that I even have mine yet) is its huge battery life.

That factor alone boosts it up a few notches compared to other amps (barring Tomahawk), it's just so much easier not to have to recharge or replace the batteries every xx hours on a portable unit, got enough of those already (DAP, cell phone, handheld consoles, etc).
Now if only the amp wasn't so hard to get.
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #1,617 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't agree more.

While we may hear things differently, Skylab still have our highest regards and I fully respect his views. I couldn't do even half of what he did.

F. Lo

right on! Not only is the amount of effort that has been put into this review outstanding, but it is also very readable, and understandable. I like the way each amp is broken down and evaluated.

And I agree with other comments, that most of these amps are outstanding. Once you move past a certain point, I think it depends mostly on your ears, and the headphones you are using them with.

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #1,618 of 3,234
Many thanks for the incredible wealth of information, quality and consistency of approach in these reviews, Skylab. It helps so much to have a reference spectrum, from which to start and to which to compare one's own impressions.

Big Head-Fi smiley...

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #1,620 of 3,234
Thanks guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back