Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Jan 22, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #1,591 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just notice Pico is considered no.3 below iQube...
is that amp really that good? how close to Lisa III?

The Pico is very, very good indeed. It's a slightly warmer, slightly less extended sound than the Lisa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you believe 300 ohm senn's. HD 650 would be easily driven by the pico?

Yes, it had no problem driving my 250 ohm headphones.

Jan 22, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #1,592 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pico is very, very good indeed. It's a slightly warmer, slightly less extended sound than the Lisa.

Yes, it had no problem driving my 250 ohm headphones.

Thank you for the information.I just needed some conformation from someone
as aknowledgeable as you.Keep up the fun work.

Jan 22, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #1,593 of 3,234
I just updated the thread with the following:

Update 1-22-08

> Xin Reference

Info: Xin's Cool Talk - New XIN Reference amp

I received a loaner of the Xin Reference from another generous head-fier. There has been so much talk about this amp, I really wanted to get a chance to listen to one. I have owned Xin amps in the past, and have always been impressed.

I listened to the Reference for several hours straight, by itself, and then directly compared it to the iQube and the Meier Move. The Reference had been broken in prior to my receiving it.

Build Quality: A: Incredibly solid build quality, with absolutely no nod given to making it pretty. Build like a tank, and looks like one too. I have always wished the Xin knobs were shorter. No turn on thump though, and zero hiss even at full volume. Nice.
Treble: A: smooth, clean, unfatiguing treble, with good detail and extension. Lacks the last little bit of extension and air that the iQube has. Treble performance on par with the Meier Move. Treble was nicely neutral – the difference in the treble presentation of different headphones was easily apparent.
Midrange: A-: Maybe this just a letdown from the outstanding midrange of the Pico, but I felt the Reference’s mids were a little cloudy or opaque. There was a little bit of liquidity missing. This is only in relationship to the very best, but I feel the midrange performance of the Meier Move and the iQube were slightly, but noticeably better than that of the Reference. It’s enough of a coloration that it was apparent with different headphones. This is NOT the high-end amp to buy for lovers of solo piano, jazz quartets, or female vocals.
Bass: A+: Tuneful, punchy bass. Excellent depth, and nice and tight. No bloat. Really nothing to quibble with here. Listening to “Living Together” by Circa Survive, the bass drum impact was palpable. Very nice. Maybe the amps strongsuit?
Neutrality: A: Generally neutral, except for the slight coloration in the midrange. But otherwise very neutral.
Soundstaging: A+: Also a strong suit. The soundstage is deep, wide, and well-defined. There is no “Xinfeed” here, but the amp manages to push the soundstage outside the head in a way the majority of amps do not manage. Excellent.
Transparency: A-: I felt the Xin was behind the best headphone amps in terms of transparency due to the very slight opaque quality of the mids. This is something that someone buying the amp with nothing to compare it to would likely not notice, but compared to the Moce and iQube, it’s there, and IMO it detracts slightly from the otherwise excellent sound. I wanted female vocals to have a little more sense of presence and reality than they did.

So, what to make of the Reference? The mere word “Reference”, and the price of the amp, put it up against string competition. For me, it’s just not impressive enough for the $279 asking price to recommend strongly. I’m sure this will forever vilify me with the Xin-heads, but nonetheless, this is my opinion. The Reference is a very fine amp, to be sure, but I would spend $299 on the amp-only Headamp Pico if it were my money.

Conclusions (1/22/08)

OK, so now it’s now 32 amps! Here is my view on how the amps stacked up. Note that the sum of the "Grades" I give does not always tell the whole story in how I rank them, since the whole is sometimes greater or lesser than the sum of the parts, and I am often forced to split hairs here, since the list has gotten so long.

1. Triad Audio Lisa III
2. Qables iQube
2. Headamp Pico
2. Larocco Audio Pocket Reference II mk 2
2. Meier Audio MOVE (discontinued)
3. RSA SR71
4. RSA The Hornet “M”
5. Xenos 1HA-EPC (discontinued)
6. RSA Tomahawk
7. Xin Reference
7. Meier Audio Porta Corda III (discontinued)
7. Xin SuperMicro IV
8. Headamp AE-2
9. Go-Vibe 7
10. Leckerton Audio UHA-3
11. Portaphile V2^2
12. mSeed Spirit (discontinued)
12. Mini-Box E
13. Storm B4
14. iBasso P-1 (discontinued)
15. Visely HEA- 1
16. Microshar uAmp107
16. Practical Devices XM4
17. C&C XO
17. iBasso T2
18. Go-Vibe 6 (discontinued)
19. Xtra X-1 Pro
20. Xenos 0HA-REP (discontinued)
20. iBasso T1 (discontinued)
21. Xtra X-1 (discontinued)
22. C&C Box V2
23. Little Dot Micro+ (discontinued)

As always, this is JUST MY OPINION, but I hope it has been helpful.

Jan 22, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #1,594 of 3,234
Hi Skylab,

This is a big surprise to me.

I have the LISA, PRII, iQube and Pico, and concur they are amongst the best in the list, and thought we have similar taste / listening preference - until I read your views on the Reference.

I have a Reference (latest 22,000 uf cap, 700 hours burn-in), and comparing to the Pico - the Reference is almost better is all aspects - except the apparent energy level that is characterised by the AD8397 opamp used in the Pico. I listened to the Pico for a few hours and after the initial wow factor faded, the Reference in comparison give me lasting impression. The Pico reminds of how the Xin Supermini III sounds when Xin first used AD8397 in his mini creations.

I still like the Pico for its USB DAC integration. But for the amp section, Xin Reference is definitely on top for my ears.

FWIW, I am using a Vintage RS-1, a pair of HP2 and a RAL recabled SE HD650 on these amps recently.

Just a different opinion.

F. Lo

Jan 22, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #1,595 of 3,234
I know there are people who regard the Xin very highly. Different ears, headphones, and tastes, I'm sure. All I can write is what I hear
smily_headphones1.gif
YMMV!

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #1,596 of 3,234
I like the fact one can get on the list and get a Pico 10 X faster than the Xin of course turn around may be way different for those who live relatively close to Xin.

I may as well order one of these references and in a couple years (I am including my 700 + burn in hours here) should be able to post my thoughts on the sound of Xin:wink:

With some of the write ups I've seen on Xin amps here they could coner the small amp market if they had production!

Appreciate all your hard work and efforts Sky, your reviews helped greatly in my first three amps:)

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #1,597 of 3,234
I think I will continue steadfast with my Reference. Thanks for your review Skylab even if you did come to the wrong conclusions
wink.gif
. It happens to the best of us sometimes.

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #1,599 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I will continue steadfast with my Reference. Thanks for you review Skylab even if you did come to the wrong conclusions
wink.gif
. I happens to the best of us sometimes.

smily_headphones1.gif

As far as I am concerned I am GLAD that people hear things differently. Miguel rates the Xin Reference the best portable amp he has heard, and he has heard more portable amps than I have, so there are plenty of people who see, or rather hear, the situation differently than I do.

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #1,600 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as I am concerned I am GLAD that people hear things differently. Miguel rates the Xin Reference the best portable amp he has heard, and he has heard more portable amps than I have, so there are plenty of people who see, or rather hear, the situation differently than I do.

These words were a relief. Thanks, Skylab. Now I can live peacefully with my (very) different sentiments.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #1,601 of 3,234
Jan 22, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #1,602 of 3,234
To be fair. It is hard to rate among the very best. When the amp in question is made of unubtainium. Of the portable/transportable amps I own. The Xin Ref is in the top three. Bettered by the Lisa and Diablo. The AE-2 can hold it's head up. But the Hornet is sounding a bit dated. What a difference a year makes.

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #1,603 of 3,234
Honestly I probably would have a hard time discerning which I like better among the top three or four that I would put up there. It is a hard business attempting to place these. At least Skylab puts his opinions up front and we all can either like them or not.

Jan 23, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #1,604 of 3,234
I have enjoyed many amps and continue to enjoy some of them. I can understand a difference in hearing but having heard many amps and having been in high end audio for years and enjoying live music very much to rate the Reference, not because I know Xin etc, etc. , but because of what and only what I hear, down the list, if you are going by sound quality, is silly. I like to be neutral as much as possible but the mids and transparency are one thing I find as one of the most excellent qualities of the Reference. This is with IEM's or large headphones and it helps my puny PortaPros to sound extremely good for what they are. I really can find little if any fault with the Reference. I love music and to me, the Reference IS music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back