Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Nov 9, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #2,881 of 3,234
akyanm, if you search you'll find threads and discussions about how those amps and their sonic characteristics, about which much has already been said.

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #2,882 of 3,234
Next up for me is the ALO RXII.

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #2,884 of 3,234
c'mon Rob, we want your review of the alo rx3 already! 
etysmile.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #2,885 of 3,234
Sorry Double D, but you may be disappointed to learn that I haven't even started to listen to it yet.  I have to take these things in the order in which they were received, and I have another amp ahead of it.

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #2,887 of 3,234
Quote:
c'mon Rob, we want your review of the alo rx3 already! 
etysmile.gif

Quote:
Sorry Double D, but you may be disappointed to learn that I haven't even started to listen to it yet.  I have to take these things in the order in which they were received, and I have another amp ahead of it.

hmmm, mebbe i shoulda put a winky in there to indicate i was only kidding around. of course you have other priorities, and of course the alo v2 is just coming out and a v3 hasn't even been announced.....

Nov 25, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #2,892 of 3,234

Quote:
akyanm, if you search you'll find threads and discussions about how those amps and their sonic characteristics, about which much has already been said.

Quite right!  Well I took my chances and got me a Pico Slim -- very happy so far even though I don't know what tier it lives on...

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #2,893 of 3,234
ALO RX Mk II

I asked for and received a loan of the ALO RX Mk II from ALO audio.  The amp is very low profile, but somewhat large in terms of footprint.  Nice looking amp, though.

Info:  http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_60&products_id=556

Build Quality: A+ It comes in a very, very attractive metal case.  There is only a very slight turn on tick.  The digital volume control works quite well. The gain switch is always a very welcome thing - I used it on low gain.

Bass A+: the bass is slightly elevated in level versus the Meier Stepdance (which is my current reference in terms of neutrality, among other things). The RX Mk II has a little more bass than is strictly neutral.  But it was of very good quality, and on the Beyer t50p, it was really quite welcome.  Might not be ideal for already bassy headphones, though.

Midrange A: the mids were just a little lush, but were generally very clean and open sounding.  The RX II lacks the supreme transparency of the top tier amps, but is verge good nonetheless.  Vocals were natural sounding, as were string instruments.

Treble A: the treble was just a bit softer than on my reference amps, but was still nicely nuanced and detailed, and clean.  There was a good delicacy of instruments.  Brushwork was natural sounding.  Here again, short of the top tier, but very good.

Neutrality A: there is a slight departure from truly neutral in that there is a bit of a downward sloping overall response.  But this gives the music a powerful yet non aggressive nature that is unfailingly good sounding, and we are talking about a very subtle shading here, not a gross coloration. 

Transparency A: overall the sound is grainless and clean.  There is just a slightly less sense of openness versus the Meier , but taken on it's own the RX Mk II is a transparent sounding amp, with no veil detectable. This was quite obvious on well recorded female vocals, like on Alison Krauss's "Maybe", which sounded terrific.

Soundstage A: - a little deeper than it is wide, but very well defined, and puts instruments out in front somewhat, which is really nice.  The image specificity was excellent, and lateral image placement was also very good.

So what we have here is an amp with no major weaknesses, and a lot of very strong performance.  It's just a tiny bit fat on the bass and light on the treble, which will suit many headphones really, really well.  It was a VERY synergistic pairing with the Beyer T50p.  Overall I think it is a very recommendable amp, and one I'm having a hard time letting go of.  If I have any issue, it's that it faces some pretty stiff competition at it's $450 price point.  Still, for an excellent amp with just a bit of bass kick, if you like the footprint/size, it's a great choice.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #2,894 of 3,234
Excellent review as always, Rob!

It sounds like a compelling sound signature. Clearly the pairing with the Algorythm Solo is going to be the attractive combination so hopefully at some point you can test their synergies (not as part of this thread but it would be nice to know what you think.).

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #2,895 of 3,234
Skylab, I suggest you to clarify your ranking in your first post or any its continuation where you explain this ranking.
How do you sort amps inside the level? 
I do not see the answer there in your ranking description.

Also (sorry if you already answered) - was D4 review sample stock or upgraded with op-amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back