Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Nov 4, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #2,866 of 3,234
iBasso Audio Toucan PB1

Miguel (Mrarroyo) was kind enough to lend me his iBasso Toucan portable amp.  While the Toucan is capable of being a balnced amp, I was only able to test it unbalanced, and so my comments refer only to its single-ended performance with an unbalanced source and SE headphones.

Info: http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=60

Build Quality: A: Very attractive and sturdy chassis.  I have always thought iBasso’s casework was excellent, and this one is no exception.  There was no audible turn-on transient to speak of.  There was onl;y a very little hiss using the Beyer t50p at the very top of the rotation of the volume control.

Treble: A: The treble is quite smooth, and extended, and is generally transparent.  Compared to the other top SE amps, it had just a very slight grain to it, but this was only noticeable on direct comparison.  I also thought that the treble was perhaps just a tiny bit on the hot side. But overall the performance was very good.

Midrange: A: Nicely open and transparent, with just a slight touch of lushness and warmth that was highly enjoyable and never took away from the sense of overall neutrality.  The performance here was just short of the very best, but still very, very good. 

Bass: A+: Absolutely nothing to complain about here, even by the highest standards  - Deep, tight, powerful – on par with the other top-class amps in this regard.

Neutrality: A: The Toucan definitely comes across as essentially neutral, although with all the headphones I tried I felt that there was a tiny bit of extra sizzle to the treble on occasion, coupled with just a tiny bit of fatness in the mids, although these were very subtle shadings .

Soundstaging: A: Here again the performance was very, very good, but not at the same level as the iQube or Meier Stepdance (both of which I have in house and was able to compare to the Toucan directly).  The soundstage was a little less 3D than the better amps here.

Transparency: A-:  At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the Toucan used single ended struck me as being short of the top-tier performance in terms of transparency.  Very good, but not outstanding.  There was some slight grain in the treble, and a very slight opaqueness to the midrange that was noticeable, and that bothered me even a little in absolute terms, but that was pretty noticeable when being compare to the Stepdance or iQube.

In a way I felt bad about using the Toucan only single ended, given its balanced capabilities, but that is the only way I had to test it, and also the only amps I have to compare it to were all single ended.  The iBasso, at $229, is not that far off of the better amps, and has the ability to be used balanced, which may be a useful/desirable feature for some.  For those folks, it’s a bargain.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #2,867 of 3,234
Sky thanks for the review but I feel a little bit disappointed that the balance mode did not get tested. Most people buy the Toucan for its balance operation and since you reviewed the Protector in balance, I was hoping the toucan can be compared to the protector. May be Mrarroyo could have sent some Hirose adaptor along for the balance comparison. But thanks for the effort. Ces La Vie.

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #2,868 of 3,234

Quote:
Sky thanks for the review but I feel a little bit disappointed that the balance mode did not get tested. Most people buy the Toucan for its balance operation and since you reviewed the Protector in balance, I was hoping the toucan can be compared to the protector. May be Mrarroyo could have sent some Hirose adaptor along for the balance comparison. But thanks for the effort. Ces La Vie.

I agree, and I hope to test the Toucan in balanced mode soon, and then will update.  Note that I did make this clear in the review.

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #2,869 of 3,234
I also would have liked for it to have been reviewed in balance mode, but I must say that I'm very impressed with your impressions Skylab. The lowest grade that it received was an A-, and in some areas you even thought it was right up there with the best. I didn't think this thing would perform so well single ended. I have owned and listened to balanced amps in the past that was very good when driven balanced, but the single ended output was only average. I pretty much expected this to be the case with the toucan as well. The fact that it's performance was that close to the top tier amps is very impressive. It just make me wonder how good it is when driven balanced. So from the looks of it, this amp would be a pretty good value if it was only single ended but a balanced amp with this kind of performance at this price is pretty amazing. Unfortunately I just purchased a stax portable system, so I have no need for this. But I may just consider this amp anyway to try out on my full size cans. From the specs it doesn't look like power would be an issue.

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #2,870 of 3,234
I would definitely have preferred to test if both ways - but I did not have access to the required balanced cables.

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #2,871 of 3,234
Still an excellent and well written review as always. Thanks for taking the time to do it. I've been waiting for a while to read a review from someone without any bias(someone who owns it). Looks to be as good as advertised.

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #2,872 of 3,234
guys, as much as it would be of great value for skylab and others to review components in balanced mode, the single-ended comparison makes for a more level playing field, IMO, with amps like the Stepdance. That, and I dont own any balanced headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #2,873 of 3,234

Quote:
I would definitely have preferred to test if both ways - but I did not have access to the required balanced cables.

hey skylab, did you think that Stepdance has similiar signature like Corda Swing?, I look that both of them has similiar price. I've heard Swing, I like it, how about stepdance then? any big different to Corda Swing?

I'm not really need portable, but transportable instead.

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #2,874 of 3,234
I hate to ask skylab since for recommendations, he seems like a busy person lol

but jeez im having trouble finding a good cheaper amp to go with my Ibasso D1, my cat and I need some help :3

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #2,875 of 3,234

Quote:
hey skylab, did you think that Stepdance has similiar signature like Corda Swing?, I look that both of them has similiar price. I've heard Swing, I like it, how about stepdance then? any big different to Corda Swing?

I'm not really need portable, but transportable instead.

I didn't get to compare them, so I can't say for sure.  But if you need a transportable, the Stepdance with a good power supply would be a pretty decent choice.

Quote:

but jeez im having trouble finding a good cheaper amp to go with my Ibasso D1, my cat and I need some help :3

What kind of price range were you thinking of?

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #2,876 of 3,234

Quote:

Just thought I would jump in here (Hope Skylab doesn't mind) I got the Ibasso T3 a few days ago and it sounds fantastic for $119 + shipping, it really get my foot tapping, does a really nice job when paired with my Ety's.

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #2,877 of 3,234

Quote:
What kind of price range were you thinking of?

I'm looking to purchase used for around $175 sometime around Christmas, lol.  I'm really hoping for something like the Tomahawk.  The Ibasso D1 I have right now lacks heavily in the amping, but wow does it clean things up and space the audio out nicely.  It only goes a great job when used as a USB dac with the headphones listed in my profile, so I really need something small to go along with it that wont ruin its excellent quality.  Just as an example, I did use the newer Pav2 hooked up with the D1 and it severely downgraded the sound quality, but amped everything with ease.  My Ad700s are lacking a lot when Im just using the wall adapter or portable D1 running on internal charge, the Philips HP1000 is seriously lacking, the Phiaton MS400 does okay but not good enough for me.  My ideal set up again is something to pair well with the Ibasso d1 for pure amping needs but doesnt ruin the quality or spaciousness too much, and one that is small ( again, tomahawk looks really sexy and the perfect size ) to be used as a portable amp 

Heck, Ideally I would love one of those Bravo Tube amps I see on ebay for like $50 and maybe add whatever $ I get during the holidays for a used Tomahawk.  Seems like that would be the best set up for my needs.  But any thoughts or recommendations you would have are greatly appreciated.  I am no amp expert lol :p

Quote:
 Just thought I would jump in here (Hope Skylab doesn't mind) I got the Ibasso T3 a few days ago and it sounds fantastic for $119 + shipping, it really get my foot tapping, does a really nice job when paired with my Ety's.

I've owned the T3 and it is not powerful enough to drive the gear I have, I did try it on my AD700 a long time ago and it ruined the stage size just like the pav2 did.   A serious difference from the Ibasso D1+D3 combo, to using the Ibasso D1+T3 or garys pav.  HUGE difference lol. 

Anyway ya, if anyone can suggest anything to me, I would really appreciate it.  Portable amps are a new genre for me haha.  I've very little experience with them.  

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #2,878 of 3,234
I'm rather new around here, so all of the technicalities of audiophilia is rather foreign to me. I did, however, make my first step into high end cans by purchasing a pair of Phiaton MS 400 yesterday (I love the low end, but as many reviews have said the high end is a tad underwhelming). I was wondering if people could recommend a small portable amp that A) brightens the highs B) adds size and depth to the soundstage C) overall goes well with warm, bass and mid driven cans like the MS 400s. 

If the things I say sound strange, I apologize. My audio knowledge is still rather sophomoric. lol 

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #2,879 of 3,234

Quote:
I agree, and I hope to test the Toucan in balanced mode soon, and then will update.  Note that I did make this clear in the review.

Quote:

Hi Rob, just let me know when  you would like to listen to the amp, matching dac, and interconnect. I can have a Hirose to female 4-pin adapter cable made. Send me a PM to coordinate, cheers.

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #2,880 of 3,234
Great review, this is an awesome piece of work here, thanks so much!

Did I miss the Headstage Arrow 12HE?  Sure would be nice to see what tier that ends up on; it certainly seems to be popular around here and I really like the form factor.  Also wondering about the Pico Slim -- I'm guessing similar SQ to the Pico?  Anybody know how those two stack up against ones reviewed here in the top 3 tiers like RSA Mustang and Meier Stepdance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back