Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Nov 28, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #498 of 756
Quote:
It seems some people really want to damage their ears. There has never been any occasion when I hit the volume up higher than 85% on my iPhone and I've been using them in traffic all the time.

Far from it: I did not say they don't go loud enough. But they need more power than other headphones I use to reach the same feeling of volume (in part due to the different sound signature I'd say).

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #499 of 756
ps:
To me the ma does see mto have a bit of a warm/veil not not nearly as much as the hd650. On some tracks the midrange does seem a bit recessed but not to an extreme extend. This oes meanfor me htough that music sounds a bit distant as if you are not really there. I cant explain it. But it is not a big problem and ingeneral i enjoy everything through the philips, audio recordings as well as music. I guess i can adapt to different sund signatures after all as long as it is good as a whole.
Greetings, Anouk

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #500 of 756
not to rain on the macy's parade, but as far as philips goes, i just returned the x1("a preponderance of bass, perhaps,"(joel)). way too bass heavy. you must eq down bass every time you use the things, its a drag.... decent mids, nothing more to say really except that woman in the promo photos for the x1 looks great in these things, however seems as if philips "photoshopped" the images of her because the headband is quite grand shall we say, something akin to a viking helmet.....and the leather that everyone is so enamoured with has the consistency of one of those faux dog bones that zeke clenches immediately in his teeth, crawls under the bed, and you won't see him again for a week.

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #501 of 756
Hello,
The bass is a bit more then what i am used to but for me that is no problem like it is with some grado and beyer cans i owned in the past (dt990), it does not overpower the mids for me and is there only when called for. The mids could be a bit more prominent/forward/open for my liking though.
I love the black background on these though everything really pops out and there is also no hiss whatsoever.
Greetings, Anouk,

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #502 of 756
This might be good information for the X1 thread... thanks for posting it here...
Quote:
not to rain on the macy's parade, but as far as philips goes, i just returned the x1("a preponderance of bass, perhaps,"(joel)). way too bass heavy. you must eq down bass every time you use the things, its a drag.... decent mids, nothing more to say really except that woman in the promo photos for the x1 looks great in these things, however seems as if philips "photoshopped" the images of her because the headband is quite grand shall we say, something akin to a viking helmet.....and the leather that everyone is so enamoured with has the consistency of one of those faux dog bones that zeke clenches immediately in his teeth, crawls under the bed, and you won't see him again for a week.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #503 of 756
I just receive my L1 (#16138)

What i'm surprise about is they are not easy to drive like i read a lot, they suck on my Samsung S2 (even Uptowns sound better), but they are the greatest headphones i had listen on my comp and on my MCM906

They need a good source to apreciate their wonderful musicality, or they can be really bad

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #505 of 756
Just to say something i read nowhere, the L1 works with apple devices but with android ones too (at least with my Samsung S2). I read that we could only take a call with the remote, but we can stop the song and change the track double clicking on the middle button

It works even better with the app Poweramp (more comfy than the original, there is a full EQ and it find every song on the mobile, with faster access), just need a long press

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #507 of 756
Quote:
So, how would you campare them to the ath m50 ? Thank you =)

Funny you ask because I've been writing a comparison for the past days. Unfortunately, in German for another forum. :p
So here's the conclusion:

The Philips will be more fun for casual users, background music, office environment, uncomplicated reproduction of music with a lively presentation. L1 has a deeper soundstage.

The M50, although definitely a fun 'phone, is more serious with a much better balance. However, it's also more fatiguing. M50 has a wider soundstage.

Both have too much bass, but the M50 also has too much highs. Resolution is comparable, but I'm not 100% sure yet, so I haven't released my comparison review yet.
M50 let's you search details in the recording. L1 just gives you music.

They are very different.

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #508 of 756
Thank you. 
I  already have a L1 and agree with you about it, but i was hoping to buy a M50 because Im a newbie and everwhere I search, people recomends these phone.
Would you call them  (L1) a entry level headphone for people who are willing to pay a little more ? Because for other some reviews i readed, many don't consider them  a high end headphone.
(sorry if I said something very worong, as i said, im a newbie and certainly not and audiophilie, actually, very recently i starded to use my phones with high quality musics).

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #509 of 756
I think the M50 is the better entry-can if you want to get into HiFi. It has everything you need to figure out where you want to go next. Extended highs, deep bass, clean vocals, soundstage, etc.. It's all there, but nothing is extremely well done. But it's like the perfect homework to figure out what you like so the Audio-Technica definitely deserves a recommendation for entry audiophile headphone.

The L1 is going somewhere else. It has the pleasing presentation. It's uncomplicated and fun. Bad recordings will sound much better with the L1 than with the M50. It's an intelligent design for consumers. As far as easy-listening, easy to drive and portable fun headphones go, I think the L1 is still on the very top and I'd be surprised to see this change within the next year. For consumer iPhone users it currently is high-end. I think it sounds more cohesive and harmonic than the M50. Maybe too much so for some.

Dec 21, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #510 of 756
Hey guys I know this is the Fidelio thread but there aren't any Downtown threads that are really active, so maybe guys can help me with this.
I've got some issues with my Downtowns, and I'm just wondering if it's just how the headphone is, or if I got a bad pair.
First of all, the bass is really low. Granted, my main earphones are Monster Turbine Pro Coppers, which have a lot of bass, but still... It's clear and all, but so much in the background it's hard to hear sometimes. To me these seem very mid/high centric.
Secondly, when I put the volume up (I take the subway every day so I kind of have to), they sound TERRIBLE. The highs are so shrill it hurts my ears. These are great at low volumes but at higher volumes they just fall apart.
Is this normal? Or should I exchange them for another pair?
These are also my first pair ever of on ears (my other headphones are the Sony MDR-7506 and the Meelectronics M6 and A151), so perhaps this is just common to on-ears, I have no clue.
Thanks a lot and have a nice day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back