Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Nov 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #466 of 756
Quote:
i was hellbent on the Vmoda M80s and heard them and said, nah.

the Beyer 1350 is my other choice.  (that and some House of Marley options).  i know there is a big difference in over ear and on ear, and i am not looking for one over the other.  i really am looking for THAT sound overall.  a detachable cord is a bonus.  

I liked the M80's for a month and grew tired of them.  Partially was do to on ear design.  I've never heard the DT1350 but it has a big following and I would expect them to sound very good.  I find them quite ugly and the sound signature seems to be not to my liking so I never pursued them.  The L1 is warm and bassy.  Not the tightest of bass either but the overall sound is very pleasing.  The detachable cable is L1 specific so that kind of sucks.  I've never heard or have seen a replacement cable either.  But it's very well built and I haven't had any issues with it.  Other headphones you could consider are the Sennheiser Momentum, Sony MDR-1R and UE6000.  The Beyerdynamic COP is another good option at lower cost.  They all have ample bass and sound pretty good to my ears.  

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #467 of 756
The L1 has turned out to be a great office headphone for me.  It's sealed enough that I'm not disturbing anyone unless I really crank up the volume, but open enough that I'm not completely isolated from the office so I can be alerted when I need to be.  They are all day comfortable and don't require anything special to drive them.  They provide a warm, euphonic presentation that is just easy to listen to, possibly to a fault depending on what you're looking for in a headphone.  What they are not is neutral or revealing.  They do have a bump in the mid-bass, their extension is a bit limited, and I wouldn't consider them strong at presenting detail.  In spite of those drawbacks I still keep them in the office full time now and listen to them daily. 

They are a headphone I would consider recommending to someone new to the hobby, or someone looking for a good headphone who is not that serious about the hobby but looking to step up to a good headphone.  

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #470 of 756
The DT1350 has quite a different sound signature... if you like a bit boosted bass and laid back sound the L1 fits that bill much better.
The DT1350 (which I still like very much) has really bottomless bass but is not very upfront with it (take a look at the frequency response graph at innerfidelity.com: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/awesome-beyerdynamic-dt-1350-page-2 ), so it won't let you hear bass where there actually is none in the recording. I think, the L1 is a better choice given your preferences... its isolation is absolutely usable btw.

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #472 of 756
I have the K81 DJs and love their sound and bass, but want something different to try out. Plus the ear cups are flaking off. I love their sound though, isolation and lack of leakage. The only negative for me was no detachable cord and uncomfy after long listens.

I keep thinking of going the AKG K518 LE/DJ but the L1 sounded good to me from reviews. Plane listening though is a part of my listening experiences

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #474 of 756
Quote:
anyone still liking theirs?

Yep. They're my go-to 'phones for a quick fix. I have them always close to my Mac on the weekend for YouTube, etc. and I use them at work, just like shipsupt recommended.

Awesome. Thanks
So would you wear these on a plane? If not, why so? Too much leakage or not enough isolation?

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #479 of 756
If a plane is the only place you are using your headphones, maybe. The QC15 are said to have quite good active noise cancelling. For normal listening I'd avoid active noise cancelling and would look out for a closed headset with good passive isolation so that its still usable on a plane. HD25 or DT1350 coming to my mind as portable on-ear options. While I did not test the L1 on a plane I'd say you can of course use it if you are not trying to completely drown out any ambient noise... The L1 is not really open, it does isolate quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back