Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Sep 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #452 of 756
In that case I would avoid the L1... Portable over-ear alternatives with better treble response I'm aware of: the sennheiser Momentum (also a bit on the warm side) or the upcoming v-moda m-100 (might follow other v-moda Models with a bit elevated bass). An excellent on-ear solution is the beyerdynamic dt1350. Or, if portability is not so important, the AKG k550

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #453 of 756
If warmth is not what you want, you should stay away from the L1 and maybe even closed cans in general. By construction they already create a warmer sound by default. The best exception is probably Ultrasone.

Quote:
Portable over-ear alternatives with better treble response I'm aware of: ...the upcoming v-moda m-100

How does this even make sense??

Sep 30, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #456 of 756
The ironic part is I already "have" them! My father bought them for me as an apology after a very difficult couple of months at home. He says that he doesn't mind me exchanging them but I'd rather not do that because I know he wouldn't take that particularly well really. I don't mind bass emphasis, I just don't want a pair that let the bass and mid range compromise the high end, I'm going through a stage of enjoying nice sparkly trebles at the moment. How do they compare to the ATH M50s with regards to overall sound signature?

They'll be used at home for the vast majority of the time, by the way.

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #457 of 756
I understand your situation... Although I would recommend against buying it considering your preferences, the L1 is by now means a bad headphone and certainly enjoyable, good looking and has a very respectable build quality. Maybe try to EQ them a bit, I guess you might like them overall. I think while it might not perfectly match you current preferences its not a gift without thought and not a bad headphone.

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #458 of 756
Personally I dont think they are as good as they are hyped up to be by innerfidelity etc. They are good as an all round headphone for phone calls etc. but for music I dont think they are great... They have no PRAT and some resonance. They are not BAD but they are not GOOD either IMO... Especially at the full asking price of £220

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #459 of 756
Quote:
It's said that they will have a more extended treble response than the M-80.

But more bass, so we're back where we started..

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #462 of 756
Has anyone tried swapping out the gimbals so that the ear cups swivel the opposite direction?  I'm with Tyll, it drives me nuts when I take them off and want to put them down on my desk, I want them to be ear pads down, but they don't rotate that direction...  I hope I'm making sense...

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #463 of 756
anyone still liking theirs?
i have changed my mind on what headphone i have wanted for xmas about ten times in the last week.
i am currently using K81 DJs and love them, but am wanting something new.  i really like the bass in them and i know they are considered a bass head headphone, but i listen to DMB, Coldplay, Guster, Mumford, Avett Bros, 90s rock and 90s rap.

obviously not bass heavy music, but i love the live sound of music and i like a little bass in my non-bass music.  

these phones seem to get mixed reviews.  i have read , "these are the best they have heard from any $500 headphone" to "waste of money" 
but the descriptions of the headphones from most are what i seem to be looking for.  "live sound" "warm" so on and so on.

so still happy? 

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #464 of 756
Quote:
anyone still liking theirs?
i have changed my mind on what headphone i have wanted for xmas about ten times in the last week.
i am currently using K81 DJs and love them, but am wanting something new.  i really like the bass in them and i know they are considered a bass head headphone, but i listen to DMB, Coldplay, Guster, Mumford, Avett Bros, 90s rock and 90s rap.

obviously not bass heavy music, but i love the live sound of music and i like a little bass in my non-bass music.  

these phones seem to get mixed reviews.  i have read , "these are the best they have heard from any $500 headphone" to "waste of money" 
but the descriptions of the headphones from most are what i seem to be looking for.  "live sound" "warm" so on and so on.

so still happy? 

I tend to go through headphones quite often and these are still here.  Must be a good sign.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #465 of 756
Quote:
I tend to go through headphones quite often and these are still here.  Must be a good sign.

i was hellbent on the Vmoda M80s and heard them and said, nah.

the Beyer 1350 is my other choice.  (that and some House of Marley options).  i know there is a big difference in over ear and on ear, and i am not looking for one over the other.  i really am looking for THAT sound overall.  a detachable cord is a bonus.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back