Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Mar 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #241 of 756
1d1f02c5_quartetrightlarge.jpeg

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #243 of 756
EDIT: See statement at bottom.

I guess I'll offer up my impressions. I should first be upfront in mentioning that most of the headphones I'm drawing reference to are ones I've previously owned, and thus comparing from memory. Second, those headphones are from varying price ranges and thus I'm evaluating the headphone from a perspective of experience, not a price competitive perspective. 

First, the build quality seems quite good. It feels sturdy and the materials feel nice. The top of the headband is real leather, but of the harder variety. The underside of the headband and ear pads are pleather, but feel very soft and comfortable. Not as nice as the real leather on the Ed 8 but close. The headband adjust with nice snicks. It's light weight and comfortable. If I were to nit pick, I don't care for the exposed curly cables on the headphone. 

Onto the sound:

As a whole, the headphone is euphonic, unoffensive, and a little laid back. It doesn't have any sonic attribute that particularly wows me though. 

The bass is the L1's most prominent feature. It's not grossly exuberant, in that it neither obscures the mids and highs, nor is it overly impactful.  It's tight and has decent texture, but it's more weighty. It's not as punchy as the HFI-780 or Ed 8. It's not as detailed as the LCD-2 was either.  

The mids on the headphone come through the bass cleanly in general. They are presented neutrally as opposed to forward. I prefer my mids a little more forward. Females have nice vocal tone. Males have most of their lower tonal range intact, it's just not as resolute and lifelike as the LCD-2. The L1 best cans such the SRH940 and K701 on male vocals though.

The highs are smoother and less aggressive than my HFI-780 (far less than Grados). Maybe closer to the Ed 8, if not for the L1's bass. While the highs come through the bass and present good detail, if you eq the bass down, the highs are slightly more present than the mid range. In this regard I think the LCD-2 R1 is a little darker than the L1, yet the transparency of the LCD-2 allows for better detail.

As far as soundstage, it's not very wide. Less than the HFI-780 and SRH940. Maybe closer to the Ed 8. and also similar to the Ed 8 in terms of depth.

Overall, the L1 is NOT forward, aggressive, or punchy. It doesn't have the transparency or speed of an ortho. It doesn't have the airyness or soundstage of the HE-5LE or K701. It's an attractive headphone that presents music in a warm laid back albeit moderately detailed fashion.

Edit: After a few more days of concentrated listening, I have to concur there is a slight nasal quality to the vocals. I did a few days of listening on the L1 exclusively and then went back to the HFI-780. The HFI (which I've owned longer than any other headphone) sounded much clearer and more detailed. While the L1 offers great looks and comfort, I think it sonic signature was mainly a novelty to me and I'm going to return it.

I like share my impressions, but generally hate to compel or dissuade someone from purchasing a product. (Except the Dacport or HA160D, those I solidly recommend even though I no longer have them.)

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #245 of 756
@ stuckonsound

Thank you for your impression. I found the comparison very informative.

I was curious about your source / amp too, so I looked it up in your profile. Looks like iBasso D7?

BTW, sorry for being off topic, I am glad to find a fellow Microbiologist here at Headfi (I have seen 2-3 general Biologists here, but have not found a Microbiologist till now). No wonder why you looked at Tyll's L1 measurement so analytically; I remembered you commented on my question towards L1's measurement, at the other L1 thread.

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #246 of 756
Well, for the L1 an ibasso D7 and Macbook Pro. Previous pairings for mental reference vary. I had Lcd-2 with Burson HA-160D, HRT II+ to Schiit Asgard, HDP to Asgard, HRT II+ to HDP, audioquest cables vs monster cable vs canare, grado's with ef2 and different tubes.....etc

I'm drawing on varied experiences.

The L1 is not hard to drive and it's not a detail monster. It's mid-fi and intended to be used in a portable fashion.

Quote:
Source & amplification?

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #248 of 756
Thanks for the latest impressions, dismayed to hear that they are so laid back, I guess they aren't what I'm looking for after all.  Still one sexy pair of cans.  The picture above is a great reference too, I hadn't realized they were that portable sized.

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #249 of 756
Cheers, and a 'hmm'... I thought (or hoped) proper amplification would release the Kraken somewhat better than you describe. Guess I won't be jumping in blind either..

Quote:
Well, for the L1 an ibasso D7 and Macbook Pro. Previous pairings for mental reference vary. I had Lcd-2 with Burson HA-160D, HRT II+ to Schiit Asgard, HDP to Asgard, HRT II+ to HDP, audioquest cables vs monster cable vs canare, grado's with ef2 and different tubes.....etc

I'm drawing on varied experiences.

The L1 is not hard to drive and it's not a detail monster. It's mid-fi and intended to be used in a portable fashion.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #250 of 756
I have become rather desensitised over audio gear due to the many hours spent checking it all out hear on Head-fi and spending a small fortune in the background here at home but......whoooooaaaaaa.  Seeing the Phillips and the focals there in a nice pic is just about as breathe taking as seeing 4 pretty girls sun baking at the beach.  Well perhaps not...but you get the idea.  Nice!!!

Quote:

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #251 of 756
Have there been any impressions of the M1 for comparison?  And I'd love to see the size of the M1 in that photo array above....    The L1 is smaller than I was thinking, so the M1 must be smaller still.

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #254 of 756

Quote:
Found some review, comparison and also video.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/philips-fidelio-l1

Hope this will help someone here.

This person seemed quite satisfied especially with the midrange. He said a few important things that made me really really interested in these now, for him the bass response was a bit overhelming and he was using the bass reducer setting and it still sounded very solid and definitely not lacking but then again for me I know I prefer that boosted bass and he also seems to really like the midrange, he mentioned it having "right tonality", no coloration (he owns those new highend Shures too for reference) which sounded good as that's been one of my fears. Sounds like I just have to give this headphone a try at some point, shame as I've just started getting familiar with these Q40 headphones haha. :p

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #255 of 756
That first review is pretty darned good!  Thanks for that.  Checking out the other 2 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back