Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Mar 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #226 of 756

Do you typically listen at loud volumes? I find the L1 to be moderately loud around 50% volume on my Macbook Pro, 70% on an iPod touch 2G, or 11 o' clock on the Ibasso D7.
Quote:
Got all my stuff packed up for a meet this weekend. Listening to these on my computer's onboard sound and with it all the way up it's barely loud enough to be somewhat satisfying with louder music. Definitely need to crank with these.

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #227 of 756

Quote:
Got all my stuff packed up for a meet this weekend. Listening to these on my computer's onboard sound and with it all the way up it's barely loud enough to be somewhat satisfying with louder music. Definitely need to crank with these.

Sounds like you like it loud... somehow I find it hard to believe they'd be THAT hard to drive based on Tylls measurements, my 64 ohm Q40 that are my hardest to drive headphones atm for me reaches a "normal" & satisfying vol level from Realtek onboard sound at like 43% without amp.

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #229 of 756

Quote:
^ Please look at Tyll's L1 data carefully and compare it to LCD2 and Creative Aurvana Live. I have compared those data, said data suggest L1s are more similar to LCD2s in power requirement than CALs. I hope he or my understanding is wrong. L1s seem very good otherwise.

OMG you're right, it needs more power to reach 90dB than an LCD2 for example haha. That's weird since Philips markets it as portable headphone. xD It's actually quite demanding... "easy-to-drive" headphones have raitings around 0.050 Vrms and L1 is 0.139 Vrms. Onboard soundcard probably doesn't handle well anything past 0.100 Vrms or so....

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #231 of 756
I don't care about measurements. The L1 definitely blows my ears on an iPhone 4 at 100% volume. It's even too loud for old Classical recordings.

I cannot believe it if somebody claims he needs more volume. If that's really the case, the person will be deaf before he reaches age 60.

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #232 of 756
^ 90 db is just data point for measurent comparison. Edit: measurement

Also average listening volume is a lot lower than transient volume. Transient volume is what you perceive as impact or dynamics, which lasts only 1-2 seconds and will not hurt hearing.

I listen at 78-80 db on average (less than 40% iPhone 3GS to VModa M80), but some transient peaks during 80db playback can reach 86 db or up. 86db will require a lot more power than 80db, even as transient peak.

"Lazy" headphones such as LCD-2s sound loud enough on iPhone 3GS for 80 db playback (75% is too loud for me from 3GS to LCD2s), but they sound sloppy/distant/overtly warm because their transient need for power to achieve 86 db peak can not be satisfied quickly enough by portable player. With a desktop amp, that requirement is met.

But hey, no one says you can not listen to LCD2s out of iPhone! I am just saying L1s may not give you their 100% from portables, while VModa M80 will.

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #233 of 756
The actual loudness isn't that important. When listening to my HD600 or HD598 I can take the plug out, plug the L1 in and be about the same volume. I do listen on the louder side when I'm doing focused listening, bit not that loud normally. The volume I get from my onboard maxed out is this volume. For focused listening I would like more. My Droid Incredible is like this also. Max volume is just kinda average volume, not my normal focused level. The Zune can do better getting nice and loud at 17-18 of 20 steps. Not sure how the iPhone compares as I don't have one.

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #234 of 756
Hi all, Had my L1 for a wk now for burning and comparing, i've compared with Denon ANC800, Shure 940 and Beats Pro. For introduction i am very impress with the built and quality of the  L1 and the box display it very nicely. I won't go into details on sound quality as many members here already discussed and i am not pro in audio and sound. So, comparison on basic things like Isolation, Leakage, comfort, sound, built and design. 

Isolation
L1 isolation is quite good compare to other semi open (Which i do not own any) but as i compared with full closed headphone, some are not better than this semi open. You can really control the volume for the surrounding isolation, i used my Iphone 3GS as i am on 80% volume, i barely hear my surrounding. So, if in noisy environment i will probably up to 90%. 

L1 isolation considered good as a semi open. 

Leakage
Lots of people concerned about leakage including myself. Comparing with other headphone i owned, i found Shure 940 is best leakage proof. L1 still have leakage so i prefer if use it in quite places like library should down volume below 50% on Iphone. Beats Pro have better leakage proof than the L1. 

Comfort
This is one of the thing excite me. Comfort of L1 is very very impressive provided its metal built and weight. However, it is very comfy as i rank for myself quite high and i can wear it many hours. Clamping force and headband is just right and the ear cushion has enough space for my ear (In depth and covered whole ear). Denon 800 is my best for comfy, L1 come second, Shure 940 3, beats Pro 4 (Very hard clamping force, maximum 2 hrs wear for me).

Sound
L1 sound covered everything from High, Mids and Low. Not too much of all and nice combinations. I like it very much as i do not like so much bass which will blow the high and mids away, but this has just the right amount for me. Beats Pro has the most bass but details not quite good as the L1. 

L1 > Beats Pro > Denon 800 > Shure 940. (In my opinion, as i am not studio geek but only listen to music when i travel.)

Built and Design
L1 - Built is very impressive, leather headband and aluminium body, cable is tangle free and very high quality materials. Microphone on the cable is the best out of most headphone with microphone cable. I've used a lot of talking on the phone and the quality can be heard very clearly. (Also my surrounding noise too, better not to use it in public transport)

L1 built and design is better than Denon 800, Shure 940 and Beats Pro. 

Conclusion:
I like the L1 very much and now it is my most used headphone for all purposes. If on the plane i would use noise cancellation Denon ANC 800 as it have NC and better leakage proof. Other than that, i am very happy with L1 and its quality philips has included in this Fidelio headphone. 

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #235 of 756
Nice review above.

One thing I found by accident last night in my hotel room was listening to these cans at a fairly quiet volume gets the best out of them. At my normal focused listening volume, the highs and mids were being constricted a bit, but at this much lower volume it was clean and clear while the bass was still strong. Really interesting findings.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #237 of 756
Headfonia's review went up last week on the L1's: http://www.headfonia.com/philips-fidelio-l1/

He laud's them for "...almost no need for additional amplification with the L1."

He gives a really great, thorough review, but I have the most listening experience with Denon 2k's, I'm still hoping someone can provide a direct comparison between the two.  I realize it would mostly be a side-grade, so it will purely be a difference between listening preferences.  From what I understand the L1's are a darker, warmer sound with likely more impact in the bass but most likely less quantity?  I'd like to know how the mids compare between the two.  I believe the L1's are more what I'm looking for with the electronic-jazz/hip hop fusion music I mostly listen to, but wandering which would handle rock better.

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #238 of 756

Quote:
Headfonia's review went up last week on the L1's: http://www.headfonia.com/philips-fidelio-l1/

He laud's them for "...almost no need for additional amplification with the L1."

He gives a really great, thorough review, but I have the most listening experience with Denon 2k's, I'm still hoping someone can provide a direct comparison between the two.  I realize it would mostly be a side-grade, so it will purely be a difference between listening preferences.  From what I understand the L1's are a darker, warmer sound with likely more impact in the bass but most likely less quantity?  I'd like to know how the mids compare between the two.  I believe the L1's are more what I'm looking for with the electronic-jazz/hip hop fusion music I mostly listen to, but wandering which would handle rock better.

Agreed, I am also interested in how they compare with the Denon line and specifically which is the more natural-sounding headphone.

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #239 of 756
Quote:
He gives a really great, thorough review, but I have the most listening experience with Denon 2k's, I'm still hoping someone can provide a direct comparison between the two.  I realize it would mostly be a side-grade, so it will purely be a difference between listening preferences.

The L1 will be an upgrade if you want portability and better isolation. If you have a small head, the L1 might provide more comfort whereas the Denon will probably be lighter for big heads.

As for the sound, I can't give you an A/B comparison, but I remember the Denon to have more recessed mids (the Philips has the upper mid presence peak that pushes voices forward), more boomy bass instead of punch and also more aggressive highs.

As going for house sound, I'd consider the Denon to sound mighty and powerful. The Fidelio sounds more agile and livelier, yet smoother and more laid back - but far from the relaxed Sennheiser smoothness. As always, it's a matter of preference.

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #240 of 756
Mine are on the way.

I just added an entry for them in the 'Head Gear' section, under the 'Philips' brand (since there's about 8 similar ones), so anyone who's got a pair go rate them and add them to your lists :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back