Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Mar 4, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #197 of 756
@ Rezound Sound
I do not have L1s. However, you may be able to make a guess based on Tyll / Innerfidelity's measurement (which contains isolation data in the end of each measurement table).

IIRC, L1s' broadband isolation is -9db, which is close to Denon or CAL level. In other words, you will still hear outside but with decent attenuation; people right next to you in a quiet library may hear your music (not likely to be bothered though), but not people further away.They will not work on airplane, but should be ok on a bus or train.

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #198 of 756
I received the replacement L1s on friday morning and have been letting them burn-in for almost 48 hours now. The original pair did have something funky going on because this new pair does not have as exaggerated deep bass. The deep bass is still very strong though. The L1s are the best all purpose headphone I have ever heard. These are deffinitely my favorite for movies and portable use but they still need eq for the bass, especially for at home music listening.

Rezound, I would say that zzffnn has nailed the isolation without ever hearing the L1s! The L1s isolation is on par with most closed headphones that have light clamping force.

Mar 4, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #200 of 756
Are these still only available at Apple stores?

Mar 4, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #202 of 756
My local Apple Store doesn't have them. Guess I'll have to order them in if I go for a pair.

Mar 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #203 of 756
In Canada, I called the Apple store and the clerk told me they were not carrying them in store. They seem to be available online only.

My local Apple Store doesn't have them. Guess I'll have to order them in if I go for a pair.

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #204 of 756

Quote:
In Canada, I called the Apple store and the clerk told me they were not carrying them in store. They seem to be available online only.

I was in the local Apple store a few times and the clerks working there were very useless, stupid people. So you might want to check back on occasion.

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #205 of 756
Has anyone purchased from the Swiss link that was provided earlier in this thread?  On current exchange rates it works out at $208AUD before shipping.  I want a set of these.  The alloy construction looks sweet.

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #206 of 756

Quote:
Thank you very much for your helpful comment, Ditti.
I totally agree with you re M80's comfort, cable and sound.
Do you find M80s easier to drive than L1s?
How do you compare ventilation of M80 vs L1? Do M80s feel cooler on head than L1s due to supra aural design?
Thanks again!

Dear zzffnn,
1. M80's are easier to drive than the L1's, especially out of an iphone, ipod, itouch or other non audiophile grade DAP.

2. In terms of ventilation, this is a bit of a toss up because the M80's are Supra Aural and over a period of time can be uncomfortable as well.  The Circum Aural design of the L1 is not very hot on your ears but I have experienced discomfort when walking about on a hot summer day.  I don't do much walking around with my cans on but if I had to, I'd pick the M80's.  I rekon the gross weight of the L1's makes it a tad uncomfortable when walking about for long periods of time.  If you are going to be on the bus, subway, waiting hall, that kind of thing, the L1's still win out on comfort.

Finally, I'd just like to add that I really applaud Philips' efforts in building the L1.  It is on my "never-sell" list.

Dan

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #207 of 756
This is pretty off topic, but has anyone here tried the Philips CitiScape HP's? Mainly the Downtown's. I'm curious about them. I am thinking about buying them. And then asking for the Fidelio's for my Birthday.

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #210 of 756
Has anyone made a comparison of these to the old Philips HP1000, their previous high-end? I have a pair and love it's smooth, open sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back