Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Sep 28, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #691 of 756
  What is the difference between the $300.00 L1 and the $129.00 L1/28.  Are they the same headphone just dicounted or are they actually two different head phones?

If they are the same just with lower price now that its an old design and with the L2 coming out...them im buying them today.

Don't shoot me.  I did in fact search around the web and try to use the search feature to figure this out but no....i didnt want to read 45 pages of the thread to see if its buried some where that i might find after 2 hours reading (i did skim though and it doesn't appear that this answer is any where).

Thanks in advance.

Update.  I found the answer some where around page 38 or 39 of this thread (found on my 4th of 5th google search by accident).   Looks like they are basically the same.  Controversial headphone for $300.00 but a no brainer for around the house headphone for $129.00 for someone like me who was concerned that the $111.00 HD558 might not have enough bass for when working out (yes i use full size head phones when working out in my home gym). 

Im new to using headphones beyond the normal ear buds or $20.00 to $70.00 off the shelf bix box store stuff.   I do not plan to become an audiophile or buy a bunch of stereo equipment and amps....and yet i have already figured out im probably going to need about 10 pairs of different head phones even for my portable on the go driven from a phone uses....at least thats about how many im watching prices on @ amazon at the moment.

Ughhhh.......  Ill probably be picking up a new pair every time they go on sale for half off because the new version is off (i just cant afford to pay the $300.00 new product prices).     This will be my second major purchase, (after the QC 15s i bought for use when flying).      

After reading and reading and reading and comparing and comparing and comparing, (almost bought the momentum on ears when they were $239 last week), i think these are a good starting point.

On my watch list:  Custom One Pro, MDR1 (and a few variants of that), HD 558 and 598, Momentum On ears, PSB MU1, Nad Viso HP50,  Sennheiser MMx500 blue tooth,  the ATH M40x and M50x, and the UE 6000s,.  Ill probably start with these buying them up as i see them on sale or on amazon "lightning deals"/Black Friday/Cyber Monday etc etc.     

Think those will get me started?  LOL

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #692 of 756
  What is the difference between the $300.00 L1 and the $129.00 L1/28.  Are they the same headphone just dicounted or are they actually two different head phones?

If they are the same just with lower price now that its an old design and with the L2 coming out...them im buying them today.

Don't shoot me.  I did in fact search around the web and try to use the search feature to figure this out but no....i didnt want to read 45 pages of the thread to see if its buried some where that i might find after 2 hours reading (i did skim though and it doesn't appear that this answer is any where).

Thanks in advance.

It's the same headphone.

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #693 of 756
  Update.  I found the answer some where around page 38 or 39 of this thread (found on my 4th of 5th google search by accident).   Looks like they are basically the same.  Controversial headphone for $300.00 but a no brainer for around the house headphone for $129.00 for someone like me who was concerned that the $111.00 HD558 might not have enough bass for when working out (yes i use full size head phones when working out in my home gym). 

Im new to using headphones beyond the normal ear buds or $20.00 to $70.00 off the shelf bix box store stuff.   I do not plan to become an audiophile or buy a bunch of stereo equipment and amps....and yet i have already figured out im probably going to need about 10 pairs of different head phones even for my portable on the go driven from a phone uses....at least thats about how many im watching prices on @ amazon at the moment.

Ughhhh.......  Ill probably be picking up a new pair every time they go on sale for half off because the new version is off (i just cant afford to pay the $300.00 new product prices).     This will be my second major purchase, (after the QC 15s i bought for use when flying).      

After reading and reading and reading and comparing and comparing and comparing, (almost bought the momentum on ears when they were $239 last week), i think these are a good starting point.

On my watch list:  Custom One Pro, MDR1 (and a few variants of that), HD 558 and 598, Momentum On ears, PSB MU1, Nad Viso HP50,  Sennheiser MMx500 blue tooth,  the ATH M40x and M50x, and the UE 6000s,.  Ill probably start with these buying them up as i see them on sale or on amazon "lightning deals"/Black Friday/Cyber Monday etc etc.     

Think those will get me started?  LOL

They say the Momentum On-ears can be found for US$99 at some Best Buys and US$69 used at Amazon.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/674370/sennheiser-momentum-on-ear-impressions/390#post_10920075

Cheers.

Oct 15, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #694 of 756
Hi,

I got Alessandro MS1i and these Philips L1.
I always get back to my MS1i, for the presence and wide soundstage.

The Philips are a bit to warm.
However, after some hours of EQ tweaking with my Asus Xonar Essence STX I found that raise of 1k, 2k, 4k and 8k some does them  very well.

Also, applying some preasure to the cans on my head does a good job.
Maybe this will be better with some wear?
Anyway, for about 100$ this was a real steel! Premium quality, aluminum, real leather... Soo nice!

Just my cup of coffee.

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #698 of 756
  Good to know, would you say they are a step up?

I have the HE-500 and they are not on the same level, but what I enjoy about the L1 is that it doesn't have any obvious weaknesses or irritations like so many mid-range headphones. No glaring treble (though lacking a smidgen of definition), no grainy or scooped out mids, excellent bass (though could do with a touch more control, thinking an amp will sort this out). The fact is when I listen to them I don't feel like I'm missing anything. 

They also isolate better than I was expecting from a semi-open design, but leak a bit more noise, so hopefully it won't bug coworkers. Compressed tracks that can sound poor with the HE-500 all sound good with the L1, so it is very forgiving and warm. It is interesting that Philips managed to put out a warm sounding headphone that manages to sound balanced at the same time. For example, all the warm sounding Sennheiser cans I've heard, manage to sound somewhat wooly and rolled off. I think the L1s might also improve with an amp, they require more volume on my Macbook Pro than I was expecting.

Of the headphones I've heard recently, they are a distance behind the Focal Spirit Professional (though infinitely more comfortable), probably a little bit better than the Beats Solo 2 (especially when it comes to sound stage) and a definite improvement on the Sennheiser HD449. There are a lot of offers below $150 for this headphone and at the price it represents terrific value. An ideal headphone for general purpose listening at the office or at home.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #699 of 756
I have the HE-500 and they are not on the same level, but what I enjoy about the L1 is that it doesn't have any obvious weaknesses or irritations like so many mid-range headphones. No glaring treble (though lacking a smidgen of definition), no grainy or scooped out mids, excellent bass (though could do with a touch more control, thinking an amp will sort this out). The fact is when I listen to them I don't feel like I'm missing anything. 

They also isolate better than I was expecting from a semi-open design, but leak a bit more noise, so hopefully it won't bug coworkers. Compressed tracks that can sound poor with the HE-500 all sound good with the L1, so it is very forgiving and warm. It is interesting that Philips managed to put out a warm sounding headphone that manages to sound balanced at the same time. For example, all the warm sounding Sennheiser cans I've heard, manage to sound somewhat wooly and rolled off. I think the L1s might also improve with an amp, they require more volume on my Macbook Pro than I was expecting.

Of the headphones I've heard recently, they are a distance behind the Focal Spirit Professional (though infinitely more comfortable), probably a little bit better than the Beats Solo 2 (especially when it comes to sound stage) and a definite improvement on the Sennheiser HD449. There are a lot of offers below $150 for this headphone and at the price it represents terrific value. An ideal headphone for general purpose listening at the office or at home.
Noted, I think I found my movie and gaming headphone(wanted a good open headphone).

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #700 of 756
Has anyone experimented with replacement 3.5mm cables? Measured the impedance on my L1 and the cable impedance is around 1.8ohm which is quite high? Does it affect the sound?

For anyone curious about the influence of amping, definitely makes a noticeable difference, bass certainly hits even harder, but haven't noticed much benefit to sound staging and imaging, but it could just be the amp, Violectric amps certainly aren't sound stage masters, though the V100 seems to synergise better with the L1 than my Hifiman HE-500.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #701 of 756
Just to share that there have been some serious discounting on headphones in Hong Kong recently. The retail price has been cut to USD100 in a major av chain for the L1, considering the build, fit and SQ, it really is magnificent value. Akg 612 pro has also been slashed down in prices for just USD120, but the flexibility of the L1, being both in and outdoors friendly and more efficient, making them my choice between the 2.

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #702 of 756
i just received the L1's today.  i do like the sound i am hearing.  i was hoping they'd be a little bit louder from my smartphone as that is my main source.  they have a lower impedence and higher sensitivity rate than my UE6000, but i'd say they sound about the same in terms of volume.  i'll have to A/B them to see the actual differences in sound signature.  i will also try them with my fiio E11 as i think these will shine with that in use. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #703 of 756
Have also received the L1 a few days ago and they are quite nice considering I paid US$80.- for a new pair.
Bass is probably a bit too much but then again I only use them for 20 minutes a day while sitting on my spinbike.
They have a very engaging presentation tap, tap.......

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #704 of 756
Have also received the L1 a few days ago and they are quite nice considering I paid US$80.- for a new pair.
Bass is probably a bit too much but then again I only use them for 20 minutes a day while sitting on my spinbike.
They have a very engaging presentation tap, tap.......

They're too dark imo. But bass texture is quite nice.

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #705 of 756
they don't have an airy sparkle, but i have yet to say to myself "these are too dark sounding" while listening.  i'm finding them highly enjoyable.  listened to some trap music last night and the bass was slammin and the treble wasn't fatiguing.  it was great.  also watched an episode of Homeland (showtime) with them last night and they worked well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back