Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Nov 15, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #661 of 756
I have recently picked up the Momentum and Fidelio L1's, so been doing a bit of A-B testing. I have posted my thoughts here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/690018/momentum-sound-with-more-bass.

I am enjoying these headphones. Whilst they aren't the most engaging or detailed I find myself going back to them more than the Momentum's. It must be that warm lush bass.

I will look forward to hearing the L2's. I've heard some good things about them so far.

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #662 of 756
Got the Philips L1. Just a question. I have problems with the iphone cable and only uses the audio only cable.

I hear faint crackling in the quiet songs. Very quiet when the music gets lowish. On the EDM music with bass you don't hear it. But when playing Michael Buble xmas album or susan Boyle...you hear it. Drives me crazy. faint crackling like paper or a humm. Very slight. But once you notice it...keep hearing it.
frown.gif

Is this normal for the headphone or is something wrong with the cable or the headphone itself?

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #663 of 756
I can't say I noticed it when I had the headphones. Have you tried both cables and does it happen with any other set of headphones you may have?

Depending on the source you can occasionally get crackling on some tracks, this could be a problem with the way the track was encoded. I have had this on all my headphones, but it shouldn't be a consistent crackling. Is it apparent all the time?

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #665 of 756
It's weird my l1 doesn't sound as good as the one at the store. Lol.
I really like the one I heard at the store. I bought this as an open box model. But sound is not as good. Bass is bit lacking compared with one in store.

What could it be. Really weird.lol.

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #666 of 756
I have recently picked up the Momentum and Fidelio L1's, so been doing a bit of A-B testing. I have posted my thoughts here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/690018/momentum-sound-with-more-bass.

I am enjoying these headphones. Whilst they aren't the most engaging or detailed I find myself going back to them more than the Momentum's. It must be that warm lush bass.

I will look forward to hearing the L2's. I've heard some good things about them so far.

I own the L1 and the L2. The L1 has more bass and more recessed mids and highs. Basically speaking the L2 has better controlled bass and much better mids and highs. Overall it's a better headphone in most ways.

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #667 of 756
So, has anyone figured out how to take these apart? Right now I have the vents taped down to give the headphones a more intimate sound, but I'd love to use some padding instead of ruining that nice sleek look that the headphones have going for it. :)

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #668 of 756
How doe the L1 compare to the 558s? They are about the same price and I need headphones for general usage and electro (justice, daft punk, kavinsky, not skrillex or bassnectar).  I really am concerned about comfort too as I use for 8+ hours and want deep cups to avoid ear contact with driver. SQ, stage, profile?

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #669 of 756
  How doe the L1 compare to the 558s? They are about the same price and I need headphones for general usage and electro (justice, daft punk, kavinsky, not skrillex or bassnectar).  I really am concerned about comfort too as I use for 8+ hours and want deep cups to avoid ear contact with driver. SQ, stage, profile?

Fidelio L1s are laid back and have soft highs. L1s provide much more bass and sub bass than Hd558.
L1s can be considered "borderline" bass-head headphones. They are a good match for the music you've listed.

L1s have the edge in terms of build quality (aluminium cups, memory foam earpads, aluminium headband, etc).

Hd558 are more neutral.

Comfort is a pretty personal thing.

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #670 of 756
I have tried those out a few months ago... They were HORRIBLE. Almost no treble, muddy sound, muddy bass, not detailed at all, recessed vocals. My AKG K540 absolutely DEMOLISH them in EVERY single way.

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #671 of 756
I read some comments, that after 400h the L1 looses a lot amount of bass. Can someone comment on that?
I heared them today at the store and I liked the amount of bass - would be a shame if after many hours this bass goes away...

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #672 of 756
I read some comments, that after 400h the L1 looses a lot amount of bass. Can someone comment on that?
I heared them today at the store and I liked the amount of bass - would be a shame if after many hours this bass goes away...

I highly, highly doubt it. Where did you read that?

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #673 of 756
On a polish forum. They stated, that the L1 bass settles that much down, that although it tightens, but also looses a lot on quantity.
That surprised me a lot, because what's the poinf of buying a headphone, that differs that much in sound signature after the burn in.

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #674 of 756
Well to each his own, but headphone burn-in is more do to "brain burn-in" or getting used to the sound IMHO. I owned the L1 for a while and it didn't change for me. I didn't reach 400 hours, but it's not logical - what's happening at 400 hours to reduce bass? I wouldn't worry about it.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #675 of 756
Can anyone who has heard both the Fidelio L1 and Sony MH1C write a quick comparison of their sound signatures and other qualities/drawbacks?

Love the MH1C's extended subbass (even if the amount can be a bit much at times) and the super smooth, non fatiguing mid and treble. Now looking for something similar in full size cans.

Any input is highly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back