Review: Philips CitiScape Uptown (Updated Sept 18, 2012)
May 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #256 of 396
Has anybody tried to open the controller? (I'm guessing one would have to pry open it)
Maybe it would be possible to just disconnect the volume controller and then solder new wires to bypass it entirely.
This is my only annoyance, I really don't understand why Philips didn't opt for two buttons instead (IE. it would send signals to the source to adjust its own volume).

May 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #257 of 396
Hey guys, not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but I'm in a huge dilemma :)

I have recently bought the Shure SE215 In-Ears (about two or three months ago), and I am in love with them. The sound is very nice and I really like them. My only complaint is regarding the difficulty that it is to put them on :)

After buying an over-ear headphone for my girlfriend, I noticed how I miss being able to just put up some over-ears and how comfortable they are.

So, I am here to ask if I should buy the Phillips Uptown. They are on sale for £56, and I think it is a reasonable price.
My main question is if its sound quality is on the same standard as the SE215, as I don't want to get a really better headphone (I still want to come back to hearing my SE215s!). The Uptown is really pretty and classy, and according to all the reviews, it looks like it is a good deal.

I know that we can't quite compare between in-ears and over-ears, but do you guys *think* it would be a good buy, given the conditions that I mentioned? What would be the main advantages and disadvantages?

Thank you very much for all your comments and advice!

May 24, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #259 of 396
ToJa: I tried, couldn't get it to work (bypassing the slider), so I crushed it. Very basic components, very cheap design.

Srmotta: I've wanted the Se215's. Again, unless you plan to recable, not much good. if you recable, they are a fun, bass heavy listen. My fav pair (over Beyer 770's, CAL's, V-Moda M80's. 

Just my opinion and playing.

May 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #261 of 396
So, my lovely uptowns have been de-throned by the cheap RP-HTF600 Pana's.

The Uptowns do bass punch better, more comfortable, etc, but otherwise, I'll be using the Pana's.

I was a bit disappointed when listening to these side-by-side, I think the uptowns are awesome, but when you hear something do it better, you have to be honest and know when its cooked.

Still prefer the following about the uptowns: Comfort, isolation, looks, build, bass punch and depth. Overall sound quality, detail and listening enjoyment, the HTF600's win.

May 26, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #262 of 396
Quote:
So, my lovely uptowns have been de-throned by the cheap RP-HTF600 Pana's.

The Uptowns do bass punch better, more comfortable, etc, but otherwise, I'll be using the Pana's.

I was a bit disappointed when listening to these side-by-side, I think the uptowns are awesome, but when you hear something do it better, you have to be honest and know when its cooked.

Still prefer the following about the uptowns: Comfort, isolation, looks, build, bass punch and depth. Overall sound quality, detail and listening enjoyment, the HTF600's win.

I also preferred the HTF600 to the Uptown...before one of the drivers crapped out. Needless to say, I'm hesitant to buy another HTF600 if the same thing happens again.

The main thing that the Uptown lost at was that it's a poor performer with CMSS-3D Headphone, Dolby Headphone, etc., while the HTF600 is at least a passable gaming headphone, if not outstanding like the AD700 or Stax.

Also, that volume slider is seriously crappy in how it tends to imbalance the drivers if you move it by accident...I'm seriously thinking about cracking that thing open and modifying it myself to either fix the slide potentiometer or bypass it completely.

May 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #263 of 396
Guys I need help. I was replacing the ear pads on the Uptowns but I accidentally disconnected the driver from the wires. I don't know how to keep the two wires connected to the driver! Help please:

May 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #264 of 396
Guys i have the opportunity of exhanging my k518'dj (k81) for the uptowns....

Do you think the philips are worth the shot when comparing to the k518's/k81's? Would you call it a improvement in terms of sound quality?

They will mostly be used for outside use since ia have already a pair of CAL!'s and a pair of Sony mdr v6's.

I really think they uptown's look beautifull, i am just affraid of the thin cable (i dont trust thin cables very much) and because it seems the volume control is very prone to problems... is this true? also it seems sound quality varies from unit to unit.... true?

If i do not wear the volume control would you say these would stand at least a year of abuse?

Hope you guys dont mind helping me please....

Thank you,...

May 28, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #265 of 396
Quote:
Guys I need help. I was replacing the ear pads on the Uptowns but I accidentally disconnected the driver from the wires. I don't know how to keep the two wires connected to the driver! Help please:

It's time for you to learn how to use a soldering iron, or find someone that knows how to solder.

You're not going to get a good connection for the wires otherwise.

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #269 of 396
I just picked up a pair of uptowns for 50, have about 10 - 15 hours of burn in time so far but I am not impressed by the sound.
The volume just feels low and vocals just sound veiled.  You don't really hear some of the details in the vocals.  I'm comparing this to the a900x and the KSC75 and to a lesser extent the Downtowns.  I have the volume set to 45 on my xonar dg audio center for the Downtowns but I have to turn it up to 65 for an equivalent level on the Uptowns..  And even then it still sounds like its missing something.  Sub bass just doesn't seem to hit or resonate as well as the Downtowns, but the Uptowns are warmer overall.

I'm pretty disappointed with the Uptown's performance right now in comparison with the Downtowns...and am wondering if it will improve upon burn in?
Is the cable or the volume control at fault for the low volume?

As for the build, it is really quite good.  my only issue is that the pads look hard to replace if/when the time comes.  
Anyway I'll try to let it burn in some more and give it a chance.  

How easy is it to access where the cable comes out of?  i'd love to try and maybe convert the volume control to a cable disconnect or switch it to the mic that the downtowns have.  

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #270 of 396
I also had the unbalanced sound problem. i called up phillips and they said all they can do for me is give me cost price and i'm not going to go for that.
can we start a new thread of complaints to phillips so they can see how many people are actually being affected by this problem? i don't understand why they cant replace it with another product with a similar value? why should everyone give up their $150 headphones because pillips doesn't want to help us? i think phillips should act accordingly with this situation and recall the product or give replacements - after all this is a manufacturing defect...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back