REVIEW: Ostry KC06
Dec 31, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #2,341 of 2,536
I get that you're trying to illustrate a point here, but I don't see how the second picture is "fake". As far as I can see, the first picture doesn't even cover the whole gamut with its histogram, and even the foilage in the second picture is a featureless mush. And its histogram isn't cliped either, so I don't know about any information being thrown away :wink: Even the jpg file size is larger...

Unfortunately, histograms don't work like FR graphs. It shows what was captured by the camera in the photo. You can easily overexpose or adjust the digital processing to hit a wider color representation. Whereas a FR graph would more show what could be captured by the camera. The equivalent would be those gamut graphs that show the full gamut and then what each standard (eg Adobe RGB 1998 or sRGB) or device (eg Canon 5D MKIII) can display or use or capture.

So there are a few points here to consider:

1. Digital color is an additive medium, so you start with red green blue and you combine them to approach white because you are combining light. Whereas say acrylic paint (physical color if you will) is a subtractive medium, adding colors moves toward black.

2. Given point 1, if you have a digital photo that is dark and you tweak it with software to "brighten" it, the software literally needs to "add color" to attain what is closer to white. What this translates to is additional instructions in the file for the monitor to use more of it's color light(s) to display lighter colors. That would account for the increased filesize. Unless it's just a white canvas, which is likely a simplified more efficient instruction.

3. Natural scenes (ie real life) don't necessarily have to cover the whole color gamut or all values. Take for example a dark red card on an almost black background. Your histogram of a true to life photo will accurately show the a red bump on the left side of the histogram and no information on the right because there just isn't that level of light intensity in the scene. So what James was getting at and I alluded to before is that his first image is more true to life based on his being able to see the scene personally than the second image which he artificially edited for sharpness and contrast and brightness. He could have also overexposed the shot to get a potentially more even histogram but that wouldn't be accurate.

Translating it to sonic terms, nature is the musician, James's eyes are the producer and the first image shows what headphones or earphones James used to create the final mix that he felt best represented what the musician played would best recreate.

I think that last part is mostly accurate... :D

The thing is, an LCD covers only about 9 stops of dynamic range while most cameras now cover more than that--and the human eye covers up to 14 stops of DR, so representing most scenes with a realistic level of contrast requires tone mapping of some sort.

The closest analogue to tone mapping in audio would be multiband compression... :tongue_smile:

Without tone mapping

With tone mapping

I wrote the Photoshop script for this tone mapping algorithm myself :wink:

I must say, I am used to having my photos much more punchy than anything james posted :blink: His "processed" shot looks flatter than my "unprocessed" shot, which is output straight from ACR with more conservative settings than default--and even from default settings you're expected to punch up the photos yourself... :blink:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 31, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #2,342 of 2,536
I think that last part is mostly accurate...
biggrin.gif

Mostly accurate and better worded than I could have done myself, thanks!
smile.gif

Minor addition and just as an example, my editing caused some neighboring pixels with subtly different color / brightness in the original picture to carry the same color / brightness after the tweak. This amounts to irreversible deleting of information (and you don't need to blow out the highlights to do that).

The jpg size is irrelevant. The first file is an out-of-camera jpg, and you can open any jpg, re-compress it at a lower rate (without even changing a pixel) and it will become larger.

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #2,343 of 2,536
I must say, I am used to having my photos much more punchy than anything james posted
blink.gif
His "processed" shot looks flatter than my "unprocessed" shot, which is output straight from ACR with more conservative settings than default--and even from default settings you're expected to punch up the photos yourself...
blink.gif

Love your tone mapping script!
smile_phones.gif

That said, I picked this photo to illustrate a point and not to angle for compliments in the photo thread.
wink.gif
In fact it was shot through the window of a moving train on a gloomy day, so what would you expect?

FWIW, I just compressed the second shot to about 2/3 of the first one's size and bet that most people will still think it's more detailed:

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #2,344 of 2,536

Love your tone mapping script!
smile_phones.gif

+1

The thing is, an LCD covers only about 9 stops of dynamic range while most cameras now cover more than that--and the human eye covers up to 14 stops of DR, so representing most scenes with a realistic level of contrast requires tone mapping of some sort.

The closest analogue to tone mapping in audio would be multiband compression...
tongue_smile.gif

Without tone mapping

With tone mapping

I wrote the Photoshop script for this tone mapping algorithm myself
wink.gif

I must say, I am used to having my photos much more punchy than anything james posted
blink.gif
His "processed" shot looks flatter than my "unprocessed" shot, which is output straight from ACR with more conservative settings than default--and even from default settings you're expected to punch up the photos yourself...
blink.gif

Some scenes just don't have that much dynamic range and making them pop when they shouldn't seems a bit odd, unless you are going for an artistic angle, which is my angle.

Really do like the results of your script. A bit punchier than life maybe =) I don't know how accurate they are to what i would have seen if i was there but they do look good and if my screen only does a part of what the real scene would have in range, then it's still not exactly there i guess.

I personally take the limitations of photography from an artistic angle and don't really care for true to life as much as a care about the result i am looking for. Most of my photos are low key because i like it. I appreciate the heck out of high key photography but it was never something i was good at. And i guess being so used to photography and its limitations, HDR images just look off to me lol. But your adjustments are pretty spiffy 
tongue.gif

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #2,345 of 2,536
Thanks guys :tongue_smile: I've placed an updated version of my script in my dpreview thread with instructions:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/36868711

As you can see it's a pretty old script, and runs for a rather long time since I don't know enough to write my own plugin and am limited to photoshop actions only :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 31, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #2,346 of 2,536
Thanks guys :tongue_smile: I've placed an updated version of my script in my dpreview thread with instructions:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/36868711

As you can see it's a pretty old script, and runs for a rather long time since I don't know enough to write my own plugin and am limited to photoshop actions only :xf_eek:

Thanks Joe! master of EQ of all shapes and sizes :D
And Happy New Year!

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #2,347 of 2,536
I just got these now.

I wanted to try forward mids but I'm sensing it's really not my thing. They're too much in your face.

Sound quality wise they are very interesting for a single DD.

Well, I'll find them a kind of music or bands that I could use with that forwards mids. I guess...

EDIT: BTW, the cable is quite...not good lol

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #2,348 of 2,536
  I just got these now.

I wanted to try forward mids but I'm sensing it's really not my thing. They're too much in your face.

I wouldn't call them mid-forward though. Their tuning is quite similar to the K3003 with reference filters, which are considered neutral, or even slightly v-shaped.

A slight bump in lower treble and a more pronounced spike at 7kHz in comparison to the AKGs, but not mid-forward in my book.

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #2,349 of 2,536
I wouldn't call them mid-forward though. Their tuning is quite similar to the K3003 with reference filters, which are considered neutral, or even slightly v-shaped.

A slight bump in lower treble and a more pronounced spike at 7kHz in comparison to the AKGs, but not mid-forward in my book.

They kind of just seem a bit midforward because the bass lacks a bit of weight iirc.

Compared to the AKG there, the 3-4dB bump at 2k would probably make it sound relatively mid forward, given the sensitivity in that area.

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #2,351 of 2,536
K06 is not mid forward at all, if anything it's a bit v-shaped. My TTPOD T1E in comparison is a lot more mid forward.

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #2,353 of 2,536
If you like the sound signature of kc06, but wanting a more sparkly, airy high and tighter bass, look for Zero Audio Doppio.

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #2,355 of 2,536
I has them! Got them in gold for a bit more than $40. Really digging them so far. A lot of other 'phones which have this sort of midrange/upper-midrange emphasis and overall brightness also struggle with harshness and sibilance but these do not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back