Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 24, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #496 of 723
Quote:
The HRT Music Streamer would be an upgrade in sound,but it is USB only!
Thought I mention this as I have/had both.

Also,switching between gain changes the soundstage and the bass impact.

An upgrade from the Bifrost?  Which one, I see a few different versions, the Music Streamer II is only $159.

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #497 of 723
Was talking about a Little Dot III/HRT Music Streamer II setup which I had for quite a while.
Don't know about the Bifrost.

Jul 25, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #498 of 723
Quote:
The HRT Music Streamer would be an upgrade in sound,but it is USB only!
Thought I mention this as I have/had both.

Also,switching between gain changes the soundstage and the bass impact.

Thanks for the reply. I've found Gain 5 sounds the best with my DT880's, although the volume has to be up pretty high on the Little Dot. I've heard quite a bit about the HRT, might have to give it a go. I will only be using it for USB, as it's just for my Macbook. I just find that it's a bit of a waste having the E17, as I don't use its amp feature, and I only use the USB, set to lo-pass.

What are the main differences between the HRT and the E17, if you don't mind me asking?

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #499 of 723
You said it yourself,"the Fiio has more features like an headphone amp.
This is why I use one when I am away,so I can listen to music from the laptop.
But it is not good enough for serious listening at home.Here the HRT II is far superior and if you only need USB connection,this DAC is all you need.
Further down the road you might want to upgrade to a better DAC(as I did,as it makes a real difference...it is the source,the source,the source!!!).
It is all a journey in sound with little/big improvements and that is the addictive and "dangerous bit(for your wallet).

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #501 of 723
Will the Little Dot MKIII improve audio quality over my O2 amplifier?
Like to hear from those that own both.

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #503 of 723
Will the Little Dot MKIII improve audio quality over my O2 amplifier?
Like to hear from those that own both.

I have owned the little dot in the past, and I use an O2 now. I didn't have them at the same time, so no direct comparisons, but....

In short, they sound different. The little dot will smooth things over a little, sound warmer, and to me seemed to add a mid bass hump. (Due to output Z?) Also, being an OTL tube amp, the Little dot is not especially suited for lower impedance headphones.

I like the O2, It's neutral, and can drive just about anything... I personally prefer it to my memory of the little dot.

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #504 of 723
I'm now using my sennheiser hd650's with a marantz cd5004 CD player, little dot mk3 tube amp, and after market cable....and the CD player has a built in reference quality dac....and other high end stuff..very impressed! I'm officially in audio Nirvana! OFFICIALLY NOW! :)

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #505 of 723
hi guys, i'm using right now a V-DAC II and i'm looking for a amp to power my DT990 Pro, do you think little dot mkIII could do well when listening to hard rock and heavy metal?
i'd like to have good mids, i'm not sure if a OTL tube amp is best suited for rock in general, what do you think? my alternative would be the M-stage.

thanks

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #507 of 723
Had a chance to compare my Little Dot MkIII (Voskhod drive tubes) with a Graham Slee Solo SGR II with the upgraded PSU (on loan for a few weeks) feeding a Sennheiser HD650. My source is iTunes -> Audirvana Plus -> Audio-GD DI -> Rega DAC.

The LD MkIII perform really well compared to the much more expensive Solo. To make things more even, I set the gain of the LD MkIII to 10. My normal setting of 5 made the sound stage of the LD MkIII wider then the Solo, however at gain 10, the sound stage is similar to the Solo.

If anything, the Solo is slightly more coherent, better instrument separation and the bass slightly deeper then the MkIII. And to my surprise, the Solo seemed more laid back then the MkIII. On The Shin's Simple Song, it was more energetic on the MkIII then the Solo. The MkIII seemed to have slightly more snap to the top end. Both had similar levels of details to my ear. The MkIII is pretty resolving amp. I find both amps very musical, and would happily live with both. However, for the price, the MkIII is a real bargain in my opinion.

I'm glad I was able to do a home comparison of the MkIII to a more expensive and well reviewed amp in the Solo. The Solo is a nice amp, and nicely "analog" sounding for a solid state. But now I can be comfortable in spending on tube rolling on the MkIII. It is a good amp, and for the price, I dare say the best piece of audio gear I have ever bought. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #508 of 723
Off topic but am looking for help with my newly acquired MKIII. I have been using a fiio e10 as my amp for the HD600. I am having trouble using it as a DAC for the MKIII. When I connect the rca input on the amp to the line out on the dac then to usb of computer I get random noise in headphones and nothing else. The MKIII amp works fine otherwise. Am I doing something wrong? 

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #509 of 723
Silly question.

Is the head phone jack on the Lilttle Dot MK III 1/8 or 1/4?

I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

Perhaps it's just a given that it's a certain size.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back