Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jun 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #481 of 723
Quote:
The gain switches underneath are set for high sensitivity headphones (not high impedance) Should they be at medium impedance/sensitivity? And when you say switch, do you mean move them around, or use different tubes? I haven't bought any new ones yet, I just have the stock.

No harm in playing with the switches, and (after you rule out the switches) with the tubes just take them out and swap left to right.

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #483 of 723
Why would you think the little dot mk3 isn't good enough? I have a set of sennheiser hd650's, with my blue dragon v3 cable, and mk3 with CD player, and I'm in heaven! I mean, my cans are 300 ohm impedance....just saying....unless your running 600 ohm headphones through them, which I never tried, how would this be a bad amp? I'm in audio Nirvana with my setup! :)

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #485 of 723
Read the instruction manual that came with it...I have the sennheiser hd650's, which are 300 ohm, which means they are high impedance....check your phones to see what ohms they are, then you'll know :) and the tubes? Don't worry about those....unless you tube roll like I did :) happy trails!

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #486 of 723
Quote:
I must say that I own the sennheiser hd650's, and the little dot mk3, and use maximum gain, and set the volume to 80%....and I'm in audio Nirvana! Just my opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

You're at high gain with your volume at 80%? Does anyone in Nirvana still have their hearing?

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #489 of 723
The HD650 are 300 ohm but they are pretty sensitive.  Litte dot actually recommends the middle gain for them (high ohm and high sensitivity).  In fact, at max gain I can barely get my volume knob up to 40!  However, alot of that has to do with your source.  My DEQ2496 is a pro gear and runs at least 2 volts (probably close to 3).  I think a ipod is around 1 volt.

Anyway, don't blast your ears out!  Also take breaks every couple of hours.

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #491 of 723
I strongly prefer gain 4 on any headphone. There is plenty of power even for 600ohm DT880's on Mullard tubes. Switching higher gain cause too much distortion in comparison. Gain 4 is the perfect balance in worm signature and clear-crisp dynamics (at least if I don't pull the volume weal to the limits, and I never do so). 

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #492 of 723
Quick question - I'm using an E17 with the Little Dot MK3 at the moment, and it's pretty good as a DAC. Would I see a noticeable difference if I switched to a standalone DAC?

Any recommendations? I'll be using Beyer DT880's with em. (250ohm)

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #493 of 723
Switching to higher gain should not cause distortion. You just have less volume control (knob movement) over the normal volume levels unless the lower gain is just not loud enough.  I've never heard distortion on my MKIII at high or any gain.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #495 of 723
The HRT Music Streamer would be an upgrade in sound,but it is USB only!
Thought I mention this as I have/had both.

Also,switching between gain changes the soundstage and the bass impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back