Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jun 17, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #421 of 723

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANGES  

" lol. I've done some business with him in the past, and have looked through his feedback. The man changes gear like he changes underware, so I figure I'd get dibs before he decides to change it out. :wink:"

Lmao! You officially have dibs. :) But this is a really nice little amp (pardon the pun). I might keep it... Well at least for a week or two. Seriously, the MKIII really likes my 701.

The interesting point about this amp is it addresses the weaker points of the Gilmore Lite like it can be a bit too unforgiving. While the GLite addresses the weaknesses of the LD like the detail retrieval. They compliment each other well. I know they aren't high-end in terms of Head-Fi, but both are excellent.

Welcome to the wonderful world of TUBES!!!

Let the good times (and tubes) roll.

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #422 of 723
LOL. I can wait a week or two. I'll just go ahead and order my DAC first. =P

hmmm. Cambridge Audio DacMagic, or the Matrix Mini-i..... decisions decisions...

Quote:
Lmao! You officially have dibs. :) But this is a really nice little amp (pardon the pun). I might keep it... Well at least for a week or two. Seriously, the MKIII really likes my 701.

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #423 of 723
Quote:
" LOL. I can wait a week or two. I'll just go ahead and order my DAC first. =P
hmmm. Cambridge Audio DacMagic, or the Matrix Mini- i..... decisions decisions..."

The DacMagic is a really great DAC and is the only source I have no interest in upgrading. Even if I should decide to upgrade amps.

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #424 of 723

Quote:
Quote:
" LOL. I can wait a week or two. I'll just go ahead and order my DAC first. =P
hmmm. Cambridge Audio DacMagic, or the Matrix Mini- i..... decisions decisions..."

The DacMagic is a really great DAC and is the only source I have no interest in upgrading. Even if I should decide to upgrade amps.

Where did you order yours? I found them for sale on Amazon.com for $429, but curious if there's some sort of authorized dealer I can buy from just in case something goes wrong with it.

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #426 of 723
Quote:

" Where did you order yours? I found them for sale on Amazon.com for $429, but curious if there's some sort of authorized dealer I can buy from just in case something goes wrong with it."

I got mine from a fellow Head-Fi'er for about what they go for on the Sales Forum used. It's a great DAC for the money. If you believe anything you read around the reviewers off Head-Fi, it stacks up well against DACs twice it's retail. If you read last month's Stereophile (FWIW), it was stacked against a $900 DAC and the differences were slight and took the reviewer many tries to hear those differences. It's a steal used. I also have the replacement wallwart that I believe the new ones are shipped with. The US distributor shipped it to me free. I haven't used it as the original, although the case is cracked, I ziptied it and it works flawlessly.

It's a steal used and would even be well worth it new.

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #427 of 723
Hey baka1969,

Can you perhaps help me understand things a bit better? I've been reading up on DAC's and amps for weeks (this is my first desktop setup), and I'm not 100% sure I understand how to hook everything up. Since you have exactly what I'm seriously considering buying, you'd probably be able to help me the easiest. I posted this in the DACMagic thread, but I'll just copy and paste it here:

"ehh... I'm kinda afraid to ask this question, since it's obviously going to make me look like an idiot, but I want to be clear on this before I buy the DACMagic and Little Dot amp... I'm not 100% confident I understand how to hook everything up.

So from what I've read and understand, the order of my setup is going to be my MacBook Pro -> DACMagic -> Little Dot Amp -> headphones.

1.) So, from my MacBook Pro, I connect to the DACMagic's a.) input via USB or b.) Toslink Optical (via the DACMagic's Digital input 1 or 2 depending on whether I have a male or female end coming out of my MacBook Pro... depending on what Toslink cable I buy...?)

2.) From the DACMagic, I run an RCA cable from the DACMagic's Unbalanced Output to the Little Dot's RCA L and R input.

3.) From the Little Dot amp, I simply plug my headphones into the headphone out on the Little Dot and enjoy my music.

Am I correct in the way things are hooked up? If not, please correct me. It's better that I just ask now, look like an idiot in public, and get to enjoy some great music... as opposed to not ask, screw up later, and be sad in private with nothing good to listen to. LOL."

Jun 18, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #428 of 723
Quote:
Hey baka1969,
" Can you perhaps help me understand things a bit better? I've been reading up on DAC's and amps for weeks (this is my first desktop setup), and I'm not 100% sure I understand how to hook everything up. Since you have exactly what I'm seriously considering buying, you'd probably be able to help me the easiest. I posted this in the DACMagic thread, but I'll just copy and paste it here:

"ehh... I'm kinda afraid to ask this question, since it's obviously going to make me look like an idiot, but I want to be clear on this before I buy the DACMagic and Little Dot amp... I'm not 100% confident I understand how to hook everything up.
So from what I've read and understand, the order of my setup is going to be my MacBook Pro -> DACMagic -> Little Dot Amp -> headphones.
1.) So, from my MacBook Pro, I connect to the DACMagic's a.) input via USB or b.) Toslink Optical (via the DACMagic's Digital input 1 or 2 depending on whether I have a male or female end coming out of my MacBook Pro... depending on what Toslink cable I buy... ?)
2.) From the DACMagic, I run an RCA cable from the DACMagic's Unbalanced Output to the Little Dot's RCA L and R input.
3.) From the Little Dot amp, I simply plug my headphones into the headphone out on the Little Dot and enjoy my music.
Am I correct in the way things are hooked up? If not, please correct me. It's better that I just ask now, look like an idiot in public, and get to enjoy some great music... as opposed to not ask, screw up later, and be sad in private with nothing good to listen to. LOL.""

Eugene,

I can email you pics of how I set it up, or if you PM me your # I can txt them to you.

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #429 of 723
I am having an issues with the power switch on my LD MKIII anyone know how to get a hold of Little dot now the forum page they used to have seems to have changed.  Also has anyone had any problems with a sticking contactor in the power switch in the MKIII?

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #432 of 723
Great Review
o2smile.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #433 of 723
Hello folks. I've been thinking about upgrading my old dusty LD2 to possibly a LD MK III. Knowing the sound quality of the LD2 for its day, I was wondering if anyone had both models and could compare? What would be the biggest difference between the LD2 and MK3? Thanks for your input. 

Michael

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #435 of 723

Quote:
Hello folks. I've been thinking about upgrading my old dusty LD2 to possibly a LD MK III. Knowing the sound quality of the LD2 for its day, I was wondering if anyone had both models and could compare? What would be the biggest difference between the LD2 and MK3? Thanks for your input. 

Michael

I used to have the LD2+ and the main differences I noticed when going to the MK3 are-
• larger and more accurate soundstage
• cleaner sounding
• with stock tubes, not quite as tubey sounding as the LD2+  but that changes when you roll in other tubes on the MK3
• more defined bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back