Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Mar 18, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #407 of 723
And another newbie question. I have a used MKIII on transit now (thanks Poetik) and I would like to ask something rather weird.

Is it a bit overkill to use the MKIII as an amp for my Senn HD25's? I know the MKIII drives high-impedance cans like the HD600, but mine is only a lower-tier can and it seems like I went overboard with the amplification. :p

Luckily though the LD will mostly power my M-Audio AV30's for gaming and music.
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #408 of 723
I would like to bump this to say that the MKIII is an excellent, excellent amp. Further drives my AV30's with authority, adding much-needed punch and clarity I've been longing for my speakers. My HD25's now have body in the music, which I like too.

But I would like to improve more on the sound of my unit. Can you guys suggest good tubes for adding more clarity and dynamics to the sound? I also have zero experience on tube rolling, any tutorials would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Apr 20, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #411 of 723
I'm in love with my NOS CBS Hytron JHY-6AK5 driver tubes (EF95)! They have a balance, detail, and timbral accuracy that is 'jaw dropping'. Then again, system synergy is relative, and I may have just 'lucked out' with this setup and my components. By the way, I mostly use the MKIII as a line preamp for CD/HDCD/SACD driving a McIntosh MC162 and Magnepan MG12/QR speakers. I only use it as a headphone amp maybe 10% of the time, but that's probably because I need better cans (have HD-595's which are very good, but not excellent).

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #412 of 723
Two hours ago I officially became an MKIII owner and couldn't be more ecstatic about how it sounds right out of the box!
dt880smile.png
  David, Sword, and the whole Little Dot team are incredible.  Highly recommended.  My 650's are singin' and bumpin' !

And soon enough, I'm sure I'll be tube rolling, haha.  I've been doing research the last few weeks but I'm going to burn-in the stock tubes and listen to their evolution first.

Additionally, thanks to all the Head-Fi'ers who inspired the purchase!  You all are very informative and I appreciate the vastness of knowledge I've absorbed by reading your posts.

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #413 of 723
While you are listening to music, read the tube rolling thread.  It's huge, but worth the read.

Also, don't be like the rest of us and get crazy buying tubes!  I've never had a tube burn out.  The damn amp will blow a capacitor before one of these tubes burn out.  I would buy extra set of power tubes and then sets of different driver tubes for different flavors.  Don't spend too much money.  These types of tubes are common and cheap.  Just be patient and wait on ebay.  You can also try some mail order tube places.  You won't know what brand you'll be getting but you may get lucky with something good for cheap.

All this info is in the tube rolling thread.  Good luck!

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #414 of 723
Hi all,

I just bought the MKIII from a fellow Head-Fi'er. It should be here next week! I'm excited as this is my first full tube amp. I have the Millett hybrid but want to spend some time with a full tube amp. The one I have arriving comes with the stock tubes. I know about the large and daunting tube rolling thread. I really don't want to go that route though. I just hope to find a nice set of power and driver tubes that simply plug and play and enjoy the amp. It should be interesting to compare it with the Gilmore Lite as they are probably on opposite sides of the sonic spectrum. I'll post some impressions when the LD is plugged into my system.

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #415 of 723
I just got the MKIII in today. It already has about 50 hours on it. I'm not sure how much more time it will need, but I'll keep listening. It has the stock tubes and a local Head-Fi'er FrankI has some tubes I might be able to do a little rolling with. But as I said before, I just want a good pair of driver and power tubes and enjoy.

I'll write some impressions comparing it to my GLite when I have some time with it. It may seem like an apples and oranges comparison with the two, but I think it should be fun to show how a full tube amp and a Class "A" dynalo design contrast. So far the softness of what I guess is the "tube" sound is evident. More to come. :)

Jun 17, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #416 of 723

Quote:
I just got the MKIII in today. It already has about 50 hours on it. I'm not sure how much more time it will need, but I'll keep listening. It has the stock tubes and a local Head-Fi'er FrankI has some tubes I might be able to do a little rolling with. But as I said before, I just want a good pair of driver and power tubes and enjoy.

I'll write some impressions comparing it to my GLite when I have some time with it. It may seem like an apples and oranges comparison with the two, but I think it should be fun to show how a full tube amp and a Class "A" dynalo design contrast. So far the softness of what I guess is the "tube" sound is evident. More to come. :)

Let me know if you ever decide to sell the MKIII! :wink:

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #417 of 723
I purchased about 2 months ago a LDMKIII for the second time, after selling the first one more than one year ago, as it was getting very little use at that time. I still enjoyed it a lot paired with my K501.

I am currenlty using it to power a Sony CD900ST, at lowest gain setting (105dB/mw sensitivity), and it works wonder as an alternative to my main rig (DA11 & DT48). I do not use stock tubes though, but a set of Soviet 6H30 power tubes and some Mullard M8100 as driver tubes. It is also plugged in a PS Audio duet center. Source is the same Lavry DA11.

I have to say I am very impressed by the performance of this amp, with regards to the price. It is surprisingly transparent and immediately let you hear the ambiance of the recording place, has refined and delicate highs (addictive), adds some welcome density to the somewhat ethereal sound of the CD900ST, but without doing too much. Very little emphasis on medium or low medium, bass is tight and controlled, I would say it is fairly neutral. The soundstage is also very nice, with lots of air and no congestion. A perfect all rounder for relaxed listening sesions. I haven't rolled tubes yet nor plan to, since I am very happy with its current performance.

On the other side, it really doesn't match well with the DT48... Sound gets very dull and lifeless. But those only shine when plugged directly into the Lavry.

IMO, a fantastic little tube amps, and one that can easily upscale if you give him deserved attention. I love mine.

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #418 of 723

Quote:

Let me know if you ever decide to sell the MKIII! :wink:

it's his first tube amp and you already want dibs?

LOL .... thx Panges, you made my day.

Jun 17, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #419 of 723

Quote:
it's his first tube amp and you already want dibs?

LOL .... thx Panges, you made my day.

lol. I've done some business with him in the past, and have looked through his feedback. The man changes gear like he changes underware, so I figure I'd get dibs before he decides to change it out. :wink:

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #420 of 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANGES  

" lol. I've done some business with him in the past, and have looked through his feedback. The man changes gear like he changes underware, so I figure I'd get dibs before he decides to change it out. :wink:"

Lmao! You officially have dibs. :) But this is a really nice little amp (pardon the pun). I might keep it... Well at least for a week or two. Seriously, the MKIII really likes my 701.

The interesting point about this amp is it addresses the weaker points of the Gilmore Lite like it can be a bit too unforgiving. While the GLite addresses the weaknesses of the LD like the detail retrieval. They compliment each other well. I know they aren't high-end in terms of Head-Fi, but both are excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back