Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Dec 29, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #391 of 723
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #392 of 723
When it worked, it worked beautifully. But for some reason lately I've been experiencing strange panning issues with my MKIII. As the tubes warm up the sound tends to pan left and right. Once the tubes settle I find that the volume of the output signal is severely biased towards the right. I would hope that this is the result of a faulty tube and not the MKIII itself. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #393 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by cb123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When it worked, it worked beautifully. But for some reason lately I've been experiencing strange panning issues with my MKIII. As the tubes warm up the sound tends to pan left and right. Once the tubes settle I find that the volume of the output signal is severely biased towards the right. I would hope that this is the result of a faulty tube and not the MKIII itself. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Do you have any extra tubes to try? If not I would try and get some.
How long have you had the unit? How many hours?
Probably just a bad tube. If your unit is fairly new you could always contact Little Dot for a replacement set of tubes and see if that fixes the issue.

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #394 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by cb123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the tubes warm up the sound tends to pan left and right. Once the tubes settle I find that the volume of the output signal is severely biased towards the right.

Exchange first the tubes among themselves, from the left to the right channel. Step by step in pairs. If the problem changes thereby on the other channel, then it was one of the tubes.

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #395 of 723
May also be worth checking that both the left and right channels are set to the same 'gain' setting. Mine were once slightly off and as such the channels were imbalanced.

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #396 of 723
Thanks for the input guys. I rearranged the tubes amongst themselves and narrowed the problem down to a faulty power tube. Guess i just need to buy a replacement. I've had the unit for two years, but the tube sort of crapped out on me after only a few months of light use. I just never had the time to fix it until recently. I have all my gain settings set to off, as i mainly use it to drive some low impedance hd595's. I understand that the proper gain settings can reduce some load off the tubes thereby extending their life expectancy, but would using a 100ohm resistor also help in that aspect as well?

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #397 of 723
Got my HD650 yesterday and thinking of getting this marvelous amp, I have iBasso D10 for portable stuff and I though it would do fine with HD650 but I was wrong, simply there is not enough volume
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #398 of 723
I have a Little Dot MK III, as well as C-K3, Bijou, M3, RS Hornet, and modified MF XCAN v3. The Little Dot MK III is an excellent amp. Better bass than I expected. Highs have a slightly sweet character, typical of tubes. Really nice build quality too, given the price. Nice casework, attractive physically, and just the right size. Arrived from China in, like, six days! How cool is THAT?

I like the Little Dot MK III on my Sennheiser HD800's and also the Beyer DT880s.

FYI the Little Dot MK III appears to be a straightforward cathode follower design, that's how they do the OTL stuff. Nothing too exotic, just good design.

I really like this amp. If you're looking to try a tube amp, you can't beat it for the price.

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #399 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by milosz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like the Little Dot MK III on my Sennheiser HD800's and also the Beyer DT880s.

The 250 or 600 ohm version of the DT880's?

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #400 of 723
Call me strange but I have swapped the source from the inputs to the outputs and my MK III sounds ....better. Much better. I don't know why but it just sounds more detailed and subtle. More punch as well.

I don't know why that is but now I'm always "putting it wrong" so I would get better sound ! have anyone else tried this ?

Also for less sweeter sound on the pre amp side I like to reverse input and output RCA's as well and SWITCH OFF the amp. It kinda serves as a stabilizer. Sometimes I prefer the sound with the amp turned off and turning the knob on my amp higher. Sounds more detailed but less warm. Also more tight. It might be that my Yamaha v590RDS can't drive my mission 701 properly, but who knows !

All this result in a different sound signature than my source (elite pro with black gate NX and LM4562) alone. It's more than sound signature, it's just better. Detail and dynamics are definitely better.

I would like to see other people trying this and report back how it's working for them
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #402 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by sobi123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Call me strange but I have swapped the source from the inputs to the outputs and my MK III sounds ....better. Much better. I don't know why but it just sounds more detailed and subtle. More punch as well.

I don't know why that is but now I'm always "putting it wrong" so I would get better sound ! have anyone else tried this ?

Also for less sweeter sound on the pre amp side I like to reverse input and output RCA's as well and SWITCH OFF the amp. It kinda serves as a stabilizer. Sometimes I prefer the sound with the amp turned off and turning the knob on my amp higher. Sounds more detailed but less warm. Also more tight. It might be that my Yamaha v590RDS can't drive my mission 701 properly, but who knows !

All this result in a different sound signature than my source (elite pro with black gate NX and LM4562) alone. It's more than sound signature, it's just better. Detail and dynamics are definitely better.

I would like to see other people trying this and report back how it's working for them
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't understand what you mean by swapping the source from input to output and "putting it wrong".
The Mklll has RCA inputs at the back and a 3.5mm headphone output in front. Are you saying you are connecting your source to the pre amp output at the back?

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #404 of 723
Just wondering what size the jumpers are. I'm thinking of replacing them with longer ones to make it easier to switch jumper settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back