Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Oct 26, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #346 of 723
I am a new MKIII owner and I can say I am thoroughly enjoying it. The one suprize that I have so far is how well my ATH-A900 scale with this amp. I wasn't expecting these to scale all that well since they are know for being so easy to drive.

The sound stage is very large compared to my Zero. I am still trying to figure out which of the 6 pairs of tubes that I want to stick with.

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #347 of 723
Hi. I am thoroughly interested in the MKIII and I would just like to ask if this tube amp pairs well with the iBasso D2+Boa's DAC function? I am also using the headphones on my sig plus either an SR-80 or MS-1.

By the way, what is the SRP of this amp? About $200 right? Thanks in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #348 of 723
so...how does this do with the HD600? I searched the the thread and got little mention of the HD600 with it. Any observations?

Thanks,
Nkk

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #350 of 723
So is the MK IV's price difference of a 100 dollars justified? Or is the MKiii pretty much awesome already and the differences aren't worth it. I do plan on tube rolling, and I probably will buy new tubes along with the MKiii to plug in after a few months.

Nov 2, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #353 of 723
Decisions, decisions...

I keep hearing occasional talk of the LD II variants (LD II, LD II+, or LD II++) having some factors that sound "better" than the MK III for HD 600's or 650's ("intimacy," punchier bass, etc.), while the MK III has some aspects that those models lack, also... At this point picking up a used LD II would be a good deal cheaper for me than getting an MK III (I've blown too much lately on a D2+, a recabling, etc.), so that's pretty tempting. I also know, however, that the preference between the two would have more to do with just that - personal preference, and I may not agree without hearing both side-by-side, so I don't want to be left wondering about the MK III if I got a LD II variant. There's also the fact that the MK III *looks* better/better constructed than the LD II variants (or the MK II, for that matter).

Anyway, does anyone know if eBay user "hifikanon" is respectable? I'm assuming that they are not authorized by Little Dot, negating warranty, but it would save me about ten bucks or so to buy from them (see this: Little Dot MK III Headphone Tube Amplifier MK3 SKU66 - eBay (item 330354103353 end time Nov-19-09 19:44:58 PST) - versus Little Dot's pricing: Viewing a thread - Little Dot Models and Pricing Index). They appear to also be located in China.

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #354 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by internethandle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Decisions, decisions...

I keep hearing occasional talk of the LD II variants (LD II, LD II+, or LD II++) having some factors that sound "better" than the MK III for HD 600's or 650's ("intimacy," punchier bass, etc.), while the MK III has some aspects that those models lack, also... At this point picking up a used LD II would be a good deal cheaper for me than getting an MK III (I've blown too much lately on a D2+, a recabling, etc.), so that's pretty tempting. I also know, however, that the preference between the two would have more to do with just that - personal preference, and I may not agree without hearing both side-by-side, so I don't want to be left wondering about the MK III if I got a LD II variant. There's also the fact that the MK III *looks* better/better constructed than the LD II variants (or the MK II, for that matter).

Anyway, does anyone know if eBay user "hifikanon" is respectable? I'm assuming that they are not authorized by Little Dot, negating warranty, but it would save me about ten bucks or so to buy from them (see this: Little Dot MK III Headphone Tube Amplifier MK3 SKU66 - eBay (item 330354103353 end time Nov-19-09 19:44:58 PST) - versus Little Dot's pricing: Viewing a thread - Little Dot Models and Pricing Index). They appear to also be located in China.

hi, I'm a little bit of a lurker here in the forums for quite sometime before deciding on what gadgets to damage my wallet
bigsmile_face.gif

I was leaning on buying an MK V because I don't want to bother with tube maintenance, but my current headphone is an HD650 and from what I've read most HD650 is better with tubes. Almost bought MK IV but I am guessing with my untrained ears it's better to get the MK III first, and once my ears is good, I'll jump to MK VI
atsmile.gif

Just buy it directly from David-- from his list hifikanon is not an authorized seller so no warranty.

Nov 6, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #355 of 723
hey all, I just brought a ldmkIII (my first amp of any kind)today while i'm waiting for it should I buy some better tubes and break it in withem or break it in with the ones that come with it.I will be using a ipod with a lod and sennheiser hd 265's (want to upgrade to 650's when I can) I have some $ left over and thinking about custom cables for my cans with this amp would better cables make a noticable differance or should I keep my stock cables and put my money to something else like a better source etc.Thanks in advance for any replies!
thanks Hipcat.

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #356 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by hipcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey all, I just brought a ldmkIII (my first amp of any kind)today while i'm waiting for it should I buy some better tubes and break it in withem or break it in with the ones that come with it.I will be using a ipod with a lod and sennheiser hd 265's (want to upgrade to 650's when I can) I have some $ left over and thinking about custom cables for my cans with this amp would better cables make a noticable differance or should I keep my stock cables and put my money to something else like a better source etc.Thanks in advance for any replies!
thanks Hipcat.

I ordered mine yesterday as well. From what I know, I think you should break them in and get familiar with the stock tube sound and then upgrade after a couple weeks or months so you have something to compare them to.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #357 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by theryaner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered mine yesterday as well. From what I know, I think you should break them in and get familiar with the stock tube sound and then upgrade after a couple weeks or months so you have something to compare them to.

whoohooo fellow starters!
beerchug.gif
Let's make the most out of this amp
dt880smile.png
I'm looking forward to your impressions when you received it!

Nov 8, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #359 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by internethandle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ended up buying a used model from Head-Fi user autosound. Looking forward to it when I get it, hopefully, sometime next week
biggrin.gif

Same, just got a used one as well, stock tubes.

What advantages do new tubes have? What do they cost?

Nov 8, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #360 of 723
I just got some tube off of ebay some 6n6p(4 for backups in case 1 goes bad $10.50) and a matched pair of 6j1p's nos60's($7.00) and 4 ge jan 5654w's($18.00). I got my ld new and have to break it in. I read it takes about 120 hours so thought every 40 hours I would put a new set in that way I would break in everything at the same time. Seems like tubes cost varies from about 5$ to 100$.I went cheap for no untill I get a feel for rolling tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back