Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Dec 19, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #316 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by DcJack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry but Enlgish isn't my main language. so wich one is it i should screw?

I know it's rude to laugh but I can't help it
beyersmile.png

Dec 20, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #318 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsc4u /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyidea which amp is better?lt mk3 or dv3322?

You mean the DV332? For your information the 332 uses only the EF95 family of tubes while the MkIII is compatible with the EF91, EF92 and EF95 families which allows for a much wider range of tube rolling options. You might want to keep that in mind while you're making your decision. Anyway I'm partial to LD amps because I've had very good experience with LD and in my experience you just can't go wrong with a LD product.

- DoA

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #319 of 723
I'm thinking of purchasing this amp, and just to be sure...im running a USB DAC (fast track pro), and would i connect the RCA outputs of the fast track pro to the RCA inputs of the MK 3..and then plug my senn 600's to the amp?!?

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #320 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Videotape7372 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of purchasing this amp, and just to be sure...im running a USB DAC (fast track pro), and would i connect the RCA outputs of the fast track pro to the RCA inputs of the MK 3..and then plug my senn 600's to the amp?!?

Yep

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #321 of 723
I have been really thinking of getting a better amp for my akg 701s. right now i use the go-vibe v5s with 24 volt elpac and they sound pretty damn amazing. i started looking at little dot and thought the tube rolling would be pretty cool. but ive started to see some things about not really enough current to drive akg really well. how does the little dot mkIII sound with the akg 701s?

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #322 of 723
thanks bro....my hd 600's just kind of sound underpowered right now..even with the powerful amp on my fast track pro...kind of disappointing but its obviously because i need a better amp...and seeing your setup in your sig makes me feel like I'm right?

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #323 of 723
Penchum, that system sounds close to the one I owned c. 1977. I had a reel to reel, feeding an 8 band/channel paragraphic equalizer, feeding into a DBX 128. I just bought a Little Dot III for a friend who is using her Grado 225 phones. We have been able to actually understand Loreena McKinnit's words when she sings, something that previously had been a topic of speculation. The stock tubes at hour 10 of burn-in revealed depths in the soundtrack to " Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" that were unsuspected. I can't wait to hear what the Little Dot does for Maddy Pryor's voice!

Where did you get the DBX unit? Is there a crate in a warehouse with them, or did you hang onto the unit from the 1970's?

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #325 of 723
Hello all,

I am curious to know what gendre of music people are getting their staging from? I was listening to an Eagles album and was wondering if a studio produced album/cd has any stage positioning? When headfier's talk about instrument placement, does it occur on all recordings? I know that with Pink Floyd there is always great depth of sound, but I wonder about other bands some who have never cared about quality. Some one asked about how the MKIII works with classical music, I am wondering what CDs have the best cleanest widest sound on them. Can some of the MKIII posters mention the source and song/CD that they get the most relevation about how good this tube amp is. I see that a lot have mentioned HPs but did not see/remember what music gets their smiles to grow. Thanks for taking time to read, I hope I am clear enough.

B
beyersmile.png

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #326 of 723
Listening to it out of the box with my 650's and I do have to say there's definitely something great here. At first I was worried because I did hear a "hum" but it seems to be gone now. It may have just been because it needed to warm up.

Be careful, for me, even putting the volume at 12 o'clock is really high!

So far, I've listened to my wide array of genres: Vocals (male/female), instrumental (full orchestra/violins), electronic, rock, instrumental with rock, electronic with vocals, it's there and it's good. I'm running the amp actually from my iPod with lossless music and will be switching to my DAC (DA-131) tomorrow, which is said to have "fat bass and more slam" so until I hear it I'll be anticipating what sound I'll want and then start researching on some tubes.

Jan 13, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #327 of 723
Bikeboy 999, that question came up with the recipient of the LD MK III. IMHO, unless the Universe has shifted substantially, the DG recordings of Wagnerian Opera conducted by Otto Klemperer were made with a pair of microphones in a concert hall, with cushions over the seats to simulate the acoustics of concert-goers.

For other live sources, you might try the BBC "Proms" concerts, as the imaging is from a live performance.

Sad to say, there are a lot of albums out there that have the instruments floating in one place, then wander elsewhere. All you can do is be selective about the bands and recording engineers that you want to keep employed. The other solution is to listen in mono to eliminate wandering instruments.

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #328 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Cooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bikeboy 999, that question came up with the recipient of the LD MK III. IMHO, unless the Universe has shifted substantially, the DG recordings of Wagnerian Opera conducted by Otto Klemperer were made with a pair of microphones in a concert hall, with cushions over the seats to simulate the acoustics of concert-goers.

For other live sources, you might try the BBC "Proms" concerts, as the imaging is from a live performance.

Sad to say, there are a lot of albums out there that have the instruments floating in one place, then wander elsewhere. All you can do is be selective about the bands and recording engineers that you want to keep employed. The other solution is to listen in mono to eliminate wandering instruments.

I was talking to a friend of mine last night who has been involved in the music industry for over 30 yrs. I asked him about sound stage and he mentioned that unless a binaural mike used it is upto the engineer to properly place the instruments. He said one of the productions that he knows that really defines stage and depth is the Trinity session* by the Cowboy Junkies. He mentioned that the whole setup was to get the singer's place and instruments all done in the acoustics of a church in Toronto. After getting home last night I listened to one of the albums that my friend played drums on. It appeared that the drums appear at both sides of the stage, or maybe it is me.
bigsmile_face.gif
The band he recorded with Trevor Finlay was the TF band.

B
beyersmile.png

PS TF is a pretty decent blues player here is a link to his album.
CD Baby: THE TREVOR FINLAY BAND: Bumpy Roads.

* Amazon.com: Trinity Revisited [CD/DVD]: Cowboy Junkies: Music

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #329 of 723
A note of thanks to Penchum for highlighting how well the Hytron tubes work with this amp. Stock tubes were fine, but these eliminate some mid-bass bloat and just go much deeper.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #330 of 723
Hi

Thank you for the review. I was reading this whole threat before buying my Little Dot mkIII.

It arrived yesterday and a listeend to it the whole night and my first impressions are good. I used it with Sennheiser HD 595 and my computer(Audigy2 ZS) as source. Im not sure if its the 320 kb mp3 or my soundcard but the difference with my cmoy was not as big as expected. They play for my not audiophile ear on the same level. The big difference was that i can listen to the little dot longer without getting tired and time flys.

Amp is by the way much smaller then expected it looks tiny on top of my Harman kardon amplifier. I also use it shortly as preamp but just for an hour so i cant say anything yet except that it works.

Please excuse my English
that i give a comment after only one night without burn in and mp3 as source
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back