Review of the Audio-gd DAC-19 DSP & C2 amp - The ACSS connection
Feb 27, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #886 of 991
I've tried OPA111BM in the C2 HeadAmp :)

Very good improvement over the OPA Moon and even over ACSS :

- Bass are more chesty and fast but not too "dry".
- Mids are slightly recessed but still fully sounding.
- Highs are two or three steps above the ACSS and all over DAC or amps i have listened : more extension, not harsh, extremely detailled.

And the overall sound is much more detailled than the ACSS and the soundstage is a bit larger, and it's very enjoyable and not fatiguing, not boring...

Try if you can :)

Perhaps it can not match with headphones with too much highs, but on my Speakers it Sound like Heaven !

Mar 3, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #887 of 991
If you like the OPA111BM I'd reccomend you try the LT1028ACN8.  I've cycled through many opamps on the C-2 and found the LT1028's to be simply amazing.   http://www.linear.com/product/LT1028

Quote:
I've tried OPA111BM in the C2 HeadAmp :)

Very good improvement over the OPA Moon and even over ACSS :

- Bass are more chesty and fast but not too "dry".
- Mids are slightly recessed but still fully sounding.
- Highs are two or three steps above the ACSS and all over DAC or amps i have listened : more extension, not harsh, extremely detailled.

And the overall sound is much more detailled than the ACSS and the soundstage is a bit larger, and it's very enjoyable and not fatiguing, not boring...

Try if you can :)

Perhaps it can not match with headphones with too much highs, but on my Speakers it Sound like Heaven !

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #888 of 991
Just ordered the C-2.1 with NFB-3 (ACSS cable and Moon OPA).  
It's going to be awhile but just out of curiosity, how do you install the Moon OPA?
Is it that simple.  The audio gd says, don't install the wrong way and I just may.

Any step by step instruction with pictures?

Edit: Never mind, found installation and pics on audio gd site. 

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #891 of 991

Does anyone have a tube amp (woo audio or schiit or even mad ear) to compare with their audio gd c-2 with opa-moon.  Everyone says the moon is tube like.  
I would really like to know how close it is in tube likeness. Can anyone compare their c-2 with moon with their tube amp?

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #892 of 991
Just got my C-2.1.  It's got to be one of the most revealing amps I have ever heard.  Just love it.  The instrument separation and detail is truly a marvel.
From memory, the Woo Audio 6 and Corda Symphony never revealed as much as the C-2.1

I can't wait to get my NFB-3 next week and compare the ACSS with RCA.
But for now, AKG K701 and AH-D7000 never sounded better from my Marantz CDP.

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #894 of 991

Quote:
I don't want to sound harsh or disrespectful but i think your review is pointless because it was the outcome of your specific audio setup thus not objective.

Whether you want to or not, that's pretty harsh 
frown.gif

May 17, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #896 of 991
Hi guys, without having to read 60 pages, can someone with the knowledge let me know what the audio differences of Earth, Moon and Sun OPAMPS are?

Very tempted to pull the trigger on the NFB-2/C2.1 combo (was originally going with Matrix Mini-I & M-Stage - any comparisons here also?).

Thanks!

Edit: also, the reviewer states it uses dual PCM1704uk's, whereas the official spec lists two WM8741's. I assume this means a difference in sound quality?

May 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #897 of 991
Differences are quite subtle between the sun and earth. I do find the C-2.1 a bit on the wet side. Don´t know how else to describe it. To smooth and liquid perhaps that doesn´t feel quite natural.  Need more time I suppose my opamps aren´t fully burned in yet. I did get back my ACSS refitted DAC19 today. Initially wow what a difference. Then I realized how much louder the ACSS input is over the RCA. No major differences between ACSS and DAC19 but it does seem to be just a bit more transparent and cleaner or maybe that is what I am trying to talk myself into :).

I got other problems though. I tried the USB but got very muffled and noisy sound. Using windows 7. I tried the DAC19 on an XP installation and there it worked much better. Anybody have a good usb driver for windows 7 to share? Haven´t tried the dac with usb on 7 before I just guess this is the problem. The Ref9 seem to install other drivers and it works fine.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #899 of 991
It has enough power to drive it. I had replies from Beyer tech guy and kingwa that it's ok for my T1s. It will suit the LCD2 also then. If you want more gain you can ask kingwa for more gain on your ordered C2 like I did.

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #900 of 991
I've got C-2.1 and try it out with DAC-19DSP and headphones HiFiMAN HE-4. So... ACSS sound pretty, but it's really smooth bass instead the RCA-connection (with audio-gd or chord crimson cables). Is it normal? Bass is less deteiled, more laid back sound in lower range. So I think it's NOT NEUTRAL, it's specific, and many things sound more powerful and more drivey with RCA (OPA-EARTH)...

And question about RCA<=>ACSS button on DAC-19. 
It's do nothing. I just hear veeery quiet snap when switch it, but it's don't make any changes is sound, signal is coming to RCA and to ACSS at the same time. Is it normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back