Review of the Audio-gd DAC-19 DSP & C2 amp - The ACSS connection
Jul 14, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #571 of 991

Quote:
I don't get it? Since when did they stop responding to emails? I actually asked about something today and got a reply quite quickly.  As far as I can see, all the USB inputs are being changed to use the 24/96-capable TE7022 instead of the PCM2706/2707.  From what I can see, people have been bugging Kingwa to do this for months.

lol. that's not nice for me to know. I sent an email late last night, more than 24 hours and haven't received a reply. Bummer.

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #572 of 991
From the occasional people asking why audio-gd doesn't respond I gather they sometimes overlook emails by accident. If they don't respond in 2-3 days just send another email.

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #573 of 991

Quote:
From the occasional people asking why audio-gd doesn't respond I gather they sometimes overlook emails by accident. If they don't respond in 2-3 days just send another email.

I'm quite fine with Kingwa taking his time to respond to some degree as I understand he pretty much does it himself and is a one man show or something to that effect that I read once. I think it's fine to take one's time to respond, I don't agree with responding to some queries before others though there are exceptions. No gripe/issue. I'm just surprised.

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #574 of 991
I had answers for my all e-mails soon or later. And believe me, I asked too much thing. If I was them, I could get completely mad and throw the money over to my face. They are very kindly and care about their customers, I guess.
regular_smile .gif

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #575 of 991

Quote:
I'm quite fine with Kingwa taking his time to respond to some degree as I understand he pretty much does it himself and is a one man show or something to that effect that I read once. I think it's fine to take one's time to respond, I don't agree with responding to some queries before others though there are exceptions. No gripe/issue. I'm just surprised.

I meant maybe audio-gd accidentally misses some emails even though they send you the auto-responder saying they received the email. They almost always answer my emails within 24 hours, if they don't answer within 2-3 days you may want to consider resending your email.

Jul 15, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #576 of 991

Quote:
I meant maybe audio-gd accidentally misses some emails even though they send you the auto-responder saying they received the email. They almost always answer my emails within 24 hours, if they don't answer within 2-3 days you may want to consider resending your email.

Yeah I may re-send. I didn't even get an auto-responder lol, but I'm also now half re-thinking that maybe I don't need the DAC19DSP since I will probably also need to get something like the hiFace and it just stretches my budget way too thin.

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #577 of 991
Kingwa has taken the USBface test to another level by offering 10 units on trial plus shipping.  Also changed the name of the product and listed prices.

Also has a combo deal running on the DAC19/C-2!

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #578 of 991
Quote:

Yeah I may re-send. I didn't even get an auto-responder lol, but I'm also now half re-thinking that maybe I don't need the DAC19DSP since I will probably also need to get something like the hiFace and it just stretches my budget way too thin.

If you didn't get the auto-responder then they never received the email. The dac19dsp has good jitter reduction with its dsp-3, a usb to spdif converter or reclocker is not something that is "necessary".

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #579 of 991

Quote:
If you didn't get the auto-responder then they never received the email. The dac19dsp has good jitter reduction, a usb to spdif converter or reclocker is not something that is necessary.

Will do :)

I made a thread re: dac recommendations, but no one has taken the bait. I've done so much reading now my head is overloaded I reckon lol.

Taken note of, I really have to see how the DAC19 stacks up against all the other DACs from China (that seem to cost less) and also mainstream market around the same price range or more.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #580 of 991
I had this e-mail today

Dear Kemal,    
The DSP1 in DAC19DSP had upgrade the software to much well cooperation with the TE7022 USB chips. Do you think you can replace the DSP1 in DAC19DSP? The replacement is easy and without solder. If you can , we will send a new DSP1 to you, and after you replace, shipping back the old DSP1.
Best Regards
Edwin

It looks like Audio GD changed software on dsp1. And they made dsp1 replacable withouth soldering! (I assume based on e-mail). Btw, my dsp didn't arrive yet, so I am not sure this offer be avaible for former customers. I ordered quite new.

Jul 20, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #581 of 991
DSP-1 was always replaceable without soldering - just 4 screws to remove (if we do not count top panel removal). It also has a connector - with appropriate cable, interface, software and of course new firmware you could upgrade/reprogram it by yourself.

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #582 of 991

Quote:
Hi.
I'm from France too and would need to discuss with you about DAC 19 because i have a tango 2.5 audiomat and need your feedback. You are so much aware about all this kind of stuff. Would it be possible to contact you directly by phone for example ?

Merci bcp Slim.a

Hi Philferny,

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't login to head-fi for 3 weeks. I sent you a PM with some contact info.

Quote:
Quote:

Do you suppose this means the DAC19DSP is getting upgraded to the DSP-3? As the DSP-3 is used in the A-GD USBface.   Anyone know the differences from the DSP-1?  I just noticed the USBface announcement on the A-GD front page is gone.

I've always fed the DAC19DSP with an Empirical Audio Off Ramp 3 into SPDIF.  I'm taking most of my system to friend's house this weekend.  He has my newly acquired Magnepan MG12 connected to his tube gear.  Gonna be trying a number of things this weekend using the C-2 and DAC19DSP combo.  We'll try the normal USB input and add a DIYParadise Ultravox (ADUM4160 galvanic isolation on the USB) versus the Off Ramp. The Magnepan's excellent imaging will be very revealing of added jitter in the system, anticipating it will reveal the strength or weakness of DAC19DSP's USB input.

I've been using Burson opamps in the C-2 for a couple of weeks.  They sound magnificent.  Richer timbre compared to ACSS, more dynamic, more colorful across the range, very well balanced, warm, and absolutely no fatigue. Also adding a Wyred4Sound ST-500 ICEpower amp, arriving in a couple of days.  I know you guys love your cans but I maintain the C-2 is a great preamp (beside a great HP amp) with the benefit of being the only Audio-GD product that allows the use of opamps to tailor the sound.

From what I understand, the DSP-3 and DSP-1 do 2 different things. The dsp-3 is for digital to digital converters (w/ upsampling capability) while the dsp-1 is for digital to analog converters (with oversampling, filtering... capability).

I did a little experience last week that improved the sound quality significantly. I set the DSP-1 to stock settings and only turned off the PLL feature. The jump in sound quality was quite important using the battery powered hiface (jkeny's mod) and the Beyer T1s.
It would be interesting to hear reports from people who got high quality transports and see if they got similar results by deactivating the PLL (setting jumper number one to bypass).

ps: I didn't discribe what particular areas it improved in purpose in order to not bias/placebo other people who haven't tried. I already talked about the specifics with Jkeny last week and I will copy paste my impressions later on when other people would have had the chance to try it.

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #583 of 991

Quote:
DSP-1 was always replaceable without soldering - just 4 screws to remove (if we do not count top panel removal). It also has a connector - with appropriate cable, interface, software and of course new firmware you could upgrade/reprogram it by yourself.

I din't know that. Thanks for the information.

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #584 of 991
I got the DAC19 two hours ago, and i'm already impressed how i got a bigger/fuller sounding afterall moving from the uDac. The stunning part is how involving and engaging this "neutral" dac is considering I still have not even swapped to the RS1s since i plugged it!

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #585 of 991
My ZXAC IMPACT DT880 RECABLE is on the way. Hope it can make my system sounds even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back