Review of the Audio-gd DAC-19 DSP & C2 amp - The ACSS connection
Jun 11, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #421 of 991

Quote:
I'm closing in on the 350 hour mark with my burn-in process. It's rather amazing what proper burn-in can do to this gear. Now, there's not a hint of the extra brightness I reported earlier. There's a little bit more bass as well, and more importantly the bass has some serious punch now. I haven't heard AKGs produce anything near the bass drum impact that they are with this combo. It's really stunning.

I'm starting to think I may be done with my headphone gear for a while. What reservations I previously had about the synergy between K601s and DAC-19DSP/C-2 are now pretty much gone. They just sound GREAT, even if the Audio-gds might seem a bit overkill for these phones. Me so happy!

I'm hoping with more hours spent burning my Ref5 in there will be more bass.

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #422 of 991

Quote:
I'm closing in on the 350 hour mark with my burn-in process. It's rather amazing what proper burn-in can do to this gear. Now, there's not a hint of the extra brightness I reported earlier. There's a little bit more bass as well, and more importantly the bass has some serious punch now. I haven't heard AKGs produce anything near the bass drum impact that they are with this combo. It's really stunning.

I'm starting to think I may be done with my headphone gear for a while. What reservations I previously had about the synergy between K601s and DAC-19DSP/C-2 are now pretty much gone. They just sound GREAT, even if the Audio-gds might seem a bit overkill for these phones. Me so happy!

More so than burn-in, the DAC will sound it's best after it's been warmed up for 45 minutes to an hour.  When it's cold it sounds light years off from its potential.

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #425 of 991

Quote:
would you recommend keeping the DAC turned on for about an hour before playback.

Obviously, unless you want to hear lower quality coming from your DAC.  You may be able to shave a few minutes off if you run music through it while it's warming up, not really sure.

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #426 of 991

Quote:
I'm hoping with more hours spent burning my Ref5 in there will be more bass

Yes. I don't know how many hours you have on yours, but for me the Ref5 is changing completely with burn-in. On the Ref5 I am seeing the same behavior patagen saw on the C2.

I was very dissatisfied with my Ref 5 when I first got it. There was no bass, no bass impact, the sound was too bright, harsh and metallical. After 4 days of burning it in with music it improved only too little to the point that I was considering selling it.

Then, I started to play the burn-in track from the XLO System Test & Burn-In CD. Within a few hours the sound changed dramatically. The harshness disappeared and my HD650 became boomy again with some deep and tight bass impact that was completely absent before.

I wasn't a believer in burn-in CDs, but since experiencing this with my Ref5 during the past week I am now alternating the XLO, IsoTek and Purist Audio Design CDs. This definitely accelerates the burn-in process in a significant way.

I am now clocking in at 150 Hours. The bass and impact is all here now ( I can't see how it could be more bassy and boomy than it is now). The sound is still becoming sweeter and more musical as the days are passing by.

While I was considering selling it, I am very happy now. This Ref5 won't be going anywhere.

This is on Ref5 > Cast cable (ACSS) > Roc > HD650.

Jun 11, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #430 of 991
Jun 12, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #432 of 991
Jun 12, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #433 of 991

Quote:
I don't know.  I hear all this talk of burn-in but I never noticed any significant burn in on my Ref-1 or Ref-7.  There is significant change with warm up time though.

+1
Honestly I haven't heard any improvement in my Ref.5. I mean, it was already good, very good, and if you read my first impression, I said the thing I noticed mostly was the bass impact. And I agree with IPodPJ, the Ref.5 sounds very thin when is cold.

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #434 of 991
I know what to do now,turn up both the DAC and the AMP an hour before listening,does music need to be played or just turning them on witheout connecting to any source or destination would be fine.

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #435 of 991

Quote:
+1 Honestly I haven't heard any improvement in my Ref.5. I mean, it was already good, very good, and if you read my first impression, I said the thing I noticed mostly was the bass impact. And I agree with IPodPJ, the Ref.5 sounds very thin when is cold.

So you guys were lucky, because my Ref5 sounded very bad during the first days. And it was on 24/24, I only switched it off to let it settle 15 minutes every day.

It is really strange that you mostly noticed bass impact, because mine was very bright, harsh in the highs and metallic, with absolutely no bass impact at all. A lot of clarity, but no bass.

As I said, all this suddenly changed within a few hours on the 4th day when I replaced the music with the XLO burnin CD. And today, after continuously playing the Purist Audio and Isotek CDs, the sound is now even more smooth and creamy.

It's a real pleasure to listen to it now, completely different from how it was before.

But it's probably not only the Ref5, I guess the Roc and the HD650 also got a boost from these burnin tracks. Well, I have seen reviews from people who even got some improvements with these burnin CDs on some gear that already had several hundreds hours of music burnin. It looks like everything is possible.

Anyway, I didn't believe in this before, but now I know it works (though it probably depends on the pieces of equipment you have).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back