Review of the Audio-gd DAC-19 DSP & C2 amp - The ACSS connection
Jun 7, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #361 of 991
I look forward to your results comparing the AD797s vs Bursons
regular_smile .gif

Btw weren't you curious to compare the SUN vs the AD797 since you have both of them on hand?

Quote:
Quote:

I didn't mention this earlier when Slim mentioned his but I have a set of AD797BRZ and BrownDog converters I purchased for use in a Kingrex Pre (untried).  I could do a comparison but it's a matter of finding a good, lengthy period of time to do it.  I'm not really one to roll opamps and I don't do a lot of critical listening.  I put quite a bit of consideration into something before I buy into it and I expect performance within a reasonably small margin.  When it works as expected I'll generally leave it as-is unless I have an idea cooking to try something like Bursons in the C-2.  I ordered SUN opa with the C-2 for the contrast in character I knew they would produce beside ACSS and hoping for something that sounded more like the diamond buffer HDAM circuit in the Kingrex Pre.

I say I put a lot of consideration into something before I buy into it but I have to admit the DAC19DSP was probably an exception to that rule.  I discovered it (and its spec) thanks to Slim.a and this thread and quickly realized it was almost exactly what I wanted in a DAC upgrade, then ordered it a week later.  I really did think about it (and drool) a lot for that week, though.  If you call it an impulse buy, it was a great impulse buy.  Quickly ordering the C-2 after the DAC19DSP arrived was a natural progression.  I can say this now too:  If I had money and the need to spend right now on a new, complete high end system, I'm virtually certain the CDP, DAC, preamp, and power amps would be Audio-GD.

I'll order the Bursons from Australia.  The A-GD hardware will be completely burned-in by the time they arrive.

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #362 of 991
i am enjoying my dac19dsp1/c2 combo for a while now. together with the combo i also got the whole opamp set (earth, moon, sun), but since the acss connection outperformed them all, i just forgot about them. i know i should give them time to burn in ...

a week ago i ordered the bursons as well, so they should arrive soon ... very curious.

also i asked the audio-gd people for a custom made acss cable because the connectors of the stock one felt a little bit flimsy. got it today. the cable (tunami terzo, i had to provide it ofc) looks beautiful, is very sturdy, and it also sounds good. well, i have no idea whether it sounds "better" or what than the sharkwire, but anyway, i am happy to have an alternative.

i will be using the rca connection with gotham gac-2111 cables (cheap, but not so bad i think) or oyaide across 750 (diy) or tunami terzo (diy). don't know yet.

ps: i'm not looking for the *perfect* sound (because it will never ever be perfect), and i don't want to spend a whole lot of money and time for that ... what i am looking for is a reasonably good sounding system i can rely on for the next ten years or so. cheers!

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #363 of 991
Slim.a

That was a very well thought out, measured and completely honest response, frankly with all the disclaimers and IMHO's you sprinkle throughout anything you comment on I'm a little mystified by the negative responses.  The last impression I get from your excellent reviews is a feeling like your way is the only way, in fact you take great pains to qualify your beliefs as strictly your own but I do subscribe to what you are saying in general because I've spent a lot of time doing the exact same things. The funny thing is, I didn't read it about most of these tweaks elsewhere (30 years ago there were precious few resources for such things let alone decent cables) I just starting experimenting with no foreign preconceived viewpoints (or as you call it an open mind). I think the industry itself (accessories that make wild claims) are mostly to blame here what with the sheer variety of what I would call, way over the line claims/devices as being the largest source of healthy skepticism these days...but that doesn't mean you lump all tweaks in with the dubious ones, that is as silly (IMO) as it is to dismiss all tweaks as quackery or go the opposite direction and claim all as gospel. The truth generally lies in the middle with a lot of this stuff, common sense and science will help with some of them, your ears for the rest (I rely mainly on experience, experiments and long term testing,) Short term evaluation is not reliable enough I have found (especially so with some of the mods I've been perusing the last 2 years).....but there really is no substitute for trying something in house (no substitute for that at all).  I urge others to experiment as much as their hearts desire (within their skill set with any and all ideas, especially the ones you formulate on your own) it's an utterly rewarding, sometimes tragic (we all have our expensive failures) but ultimately illuminating pursuit. Again this is just my opinion folks. Vibration control however, is crucial and based solidly in physics...how this one gets labeled snaky is truly astonishing even if you have nothing but a HS knowledge of physics. Go figure. 
confused_face(1).gif

I suppose it's human nature of a sort to want tear a strip off ideas that don't jibe with the so called mainstream (what exactly is such a thing, the mainstream, in audio or music for that matter ?).

Your comment about the AD OPA's vs the Earth HDAM reminded me of the lengthy and exhaustive experiments Penchum,Sennsay and I went through using various size film caps directly across the + and - pins of the HDAM itself. A tweak recommended by Burson BTW. Some of that speed can be regained by adding a 1uf PIO across the 4 and 8 pins of the HDAM as closely as you can get the cap to them. I know Kingwa uses the box caps tied to ground but I found (as Pench and Sennsay did) that coonecting directly across the 4 & 8 pins with the box caps snipped off works better. It's a subtle but useful mod. It also boosts dynamics a smidgen. Of course the quality of cap doesn't play a crucial role in this application but a cheap high quality film cap will be effective.

Give it a try with either a Russian PIO or a Vishay/Roderstein MKP1837 (1uf is best).

Peete.

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #364 of 991
P/Peete,
a good post as always. Vibration control, ground or airborne is always worth looking into and has SWFA to do with snake oil, It's fundamental and in the case of TTs is crucial.

Re. the Audio-gd HDAMs - in any way like the HDAMs in marantz CDPs? I ask because I have toyed with the idea of totally modding my 63KI mk11 v buying a current CDP and/or modding the 1st generation Marantz CDP that I bought for £15 at a car boot sale.

There is a very comprehensive thread on DIY Audio and the concensus was to bypass the HDAM completely. The contensious issue was to use caps or not before the RCA outs. The HDAMs were considered to be a negative soundwise.

I for one would appreciate an explanation from those who have the experience of dealing with these modules.

I experimented with Russian caps, especially PIO types years ago. They are not bad caps but size and weight can be a pain. I have banged on about the American ERSE caps which are small, cheap, dynamic and with great detail maybe worth a try in this position.

Slim - nothing to add to what P/Peete said.

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #365 of 991
I have read wnough information about vibration control by most of you,even slim.a mentioned that it is about 50% contributor,compared to other accessory tweaks.

I would be getting my DAC 19 DSP soon and was planning to stack it under the C-2,feels like it would be a wrong idea,any suggestions members.

I have a wooden drawer,not very big therefore cannot stack the two side by side,I could place some material between the two audio gd cases.

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #367 of 991
Jun 7, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #368 of 991
Uh, just realized... check the dimensions - it seems that C2/DAC19 are slightly bigger (240x300mm vs 210x297mm).

But since their feet are a couple of centimetres in it should be OK.

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #369 of 991

Quote:

I would be getting my DAC 19 DSP soon and was planning to stack it under the C-2,feels like it would be a wrong idea,any suggestions members.

Kingwa used to have a specific warning on his site that advised against stacking the DAC19 and C2, but last time I checked I couldn't find it.

Anyway, I tried stacking and didn't like the way they went together. It didn't last long enough for me to study the effects of vibration and heat transfer.

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #371 of 991

Quote:
Kingwa used to have a specific warning on his site that advised against stacking the DAC19 and C2, but last time I checked I couldn't find it.

Anyway, I tried stacking and didn't like the way they went together. It didn't last long enough for me to study the effects of vibration and heat transfer.

What were your obeservations,could you please explain.

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #372 of 991
Jun 7, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #375 of 991

Quote:
This one is very big,any particular reason you are recommending it.

Indeed, we need something in between these two sizes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back