Review of the Audio-gd DAC-19 DSP & C2 amp - The ACSS connection
Jul 26, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #976 of 991
As would the Digital Interface which sounds too close to the Audiophilleo for the price difference (I owned both with the Ref-8). In any scenario, the improvements are small- for instance, the difference between my optical out of my soundcard is only subtly worse than the DI or Audiophilleo added in the chain.

Good to know. Another question; can all DACs handle asynchronous USB or is that a feature that some DACs have and others don't? Reason I ask is that I would like to know if using the SBT + EDO (without an external re-clocker), fed to the Audio-GD USB input would yield any benefit over SPDIF input clocked by the SBT Duet? Basically is the internal clock of the Audio-GD better or worse the the SPDIF clock from the SBT Duet? Thanks.

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #977 of 991
Quote:
Good to know. Another question; can all DACs handle asynchronous USB or is that a feature that some DACs have and others don't?

Only some.

Jul 28, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #980 of 991
Quote:
So basically a SM or Audiophilio 2 does a better job of clocking than the Ref5 does internally when fed by USB?

Most certainly! 

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #981 of 991
how's the performance of the DAC19DSP with USB in?

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #982 of 991
Reviving an old thread here. Just had the DSP-1 updated to Firmware v7. It is a big improvement over the last firmware V5 for this particular DAC. The slightly artificially processed sound is gone. It is now very organic, much improvements in the soundstage and imaging, tonally more neutral. Certainly glad to have gone for the upgrade and bringing new life to this combo.

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #983 of 991
In addition to make the thread live. I have upgraded to NOS version. Much more space. But ... so bright... Even with the AKG k240 Sextet... Trying to make something, I have upgraded to i2s input. USB transport is stuck at the customs. Temporary variant to use Raspberry as a i2s source shows much better SQ.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #985 of 991
No, you shouldn't have USB compatibility issues if you do mean DAC19DF or DAC19DSP, but the built-in USB receiver is very low quality, practically makes the DAC pointless versus anything cheaper unless it has been upgraded to something more modern.  If the DAC19 you are considering is a modern version, then you should ignore this post.
If you are getting a DAC19DF or DAC19DSP, I highly recommend that you get an XMOS-based USB-to-SPDIF converter of some kind or another to get the best sound out of it.  You can find impressions across head-fi and the web on various converters currently available.

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #986 of 991
No, you shouldn't have USB compatibility issues if you do mean DAC19DF or DAC19DSP, but the built-in USB receiver is very low quality, practically makes the DAC pointless versus anything cheaper unless it has been upgraded to something more modern.  If the DAC19 you are considering is a modern version, then you should ignore this post.
If you are getting a DAC19DF or DAC19DSP, I highly recommend that you get an XMOS-based USB-to-SPDIF converter of some kind or another to get the best sound out of it.  You can find impressions across head-fi and the web on various converters currently available.

Thanks for the information. Someone was selling the original one (not sure the model number) on eBay, but I didn't go for it because of my usb concern. I will look into USB-to-SPDIF converters.

I see you go through a lot of gear. What other dacs should I be cross-shopping at ~$500 used?

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #987 of 991
Hello.
Howdy. I'm thinking of picking up this DAC, but its age worries me. Has anyone had any usb compatibility issues?
hello. I have changed the usb input to i2s input. I bought a good usb transport and that improved the sound greatly. No more worries of any usb incopatibility even in the future.

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #988 of 991
Hello.
hello. I have changed the usb input to i2s input. I bought a good usb transport and that improved the sound greatly. No more worries of any usb incopatibility even in the future.

I actually have a Sound Blaster X7 DAC/amp/DSP that has usb input, optical out and RCA out. So I can probably just bypass the whole USB issue with this device, which will serve the same purpose. 

I just need to make sure that whatever I get is appreciably better (to me) than the Burr-Brown 1793 and 1794 DACs in the X7.

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #989 of 991

What for???????
Update DAC19 to i2s input instead of USB and get a good usb-》i2s transport! Don't even think of making a "step back" with the spdif connection.
I did it already with my NOS dac19.

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #990 of 991
I'm damn iffy on I2S running more than centimeters along PCB traces. It's not designed for long runs of cable at all.
And DIR9001 is a terrific, low jitter receiver, mind you.  If I wasn't lazy and a procrastinator, I would have put my USB/SPDIF converter inside of the DAC19 and run a short I2S wire to replace 2706's connection already, ahaha.  I probably will not too long from now, though, as that thing is made for that.

Ultimately, to each his own, and I'm not going to recommend to someone a solution requiring DIY work involving circuitry, unless he's interested (unlikely).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back