Review of Hidizs AP100 portable HiFi music player
Jul 3, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #136 of 1,215
Yeh i do but im doing summer job in UK atm
tongue.gif
well ill go back end of July guess i can try them by then
smily_headphones1.gif

You will drive yourself crazy until you test them both.  So, I would suggest to just wait.  When you do testing, make sure to bring your favorite pair of headphones and microSD card with your favorite tracks.

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #137 of 1,215
I received mine yesterday and putting through its phases. I like what I'm hearing so far so I left Theorem 720 at home. The packaging is really nice especially for its price. Build quality is good. The UI is so simple but IMO somehow lacking (that includes features.) You have to read the manual to understand the functions. I normally can operate any device for its basic functions but not this one. The user manual material looks very good as well. Use of the coaxial in and out were not explained though. 

The cables included in  the package can go straight to the bin. They look so cheap and less inspiring.

Copying from iMac directly to the DAP takes forever. Perhaps, copying music directly to the microSD card via card reader will be faster. I've noticed that for the 2 times I have connected the DAP to the iMac, the internal SD connection was lost. I just noticed (perhaps a coincidence) the DAP is reporting that it is fully charged. Weird.

My initial impression is the SQ is very good. My smartphone + Theorem 720 combo is better but just so slightly and I am willing to compromise because of its portability. Sometimes I am lazy to stack phone and DAC/amp especially in  the morning. So Hidizs AP100 is now my new companion whilst travelling.

The dynamics is very good, vocals is a little laid back compared to my previous combo mentioned above. The AP100 can drive my AKG Q701 to a reasonable level (volume is set from 70 to 80.) With some recordings 80 can be a bit too loud. The dynamics and attack, of course, are not desktop amp level (Lyr 2 and AKG Q701 is a very good pairing IMO.)

On my V-moda M-100 and Sennheiser Momentum, the difference in SQ between the AP100 and smartphone/Theorem 720 combo is less noticeable. From memory, the SQ of AP100 is better than smartphone/FiiO E18 combo. I do not have the E18 ATM for comparison as my brother happily took it from me. :)

Still early days but I believe I made a very good purchase.

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #138 of 1,215

I also sent them an email but no replies yet after 2 days. I already have Hm-601 but I can't help myself wondering if Ap100 is/can be a better sounding than Hm-601. Is there anyone who have heard both daps?

Same here. Last time I got mail from Hidizs was on the 25th of June. No reply since then unfortunately, especially because I asked for ordering a AP100.

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #141 of 1,215
I get quick responses from them over on eBay ! Within a day always.

Then you are lucky. They don't care about us I guess, though I send two emails to both their addresses.

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #142 of 1,215
Would anyone kindly tell me where to get the latest firmware? 067 if I'm not mistaken? Thanks a bunch :)

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #144 of 1,215
Though I received 067 in the email, I would rather wait for official Hidizs download link when it becomes available to a general public.  I also heard 068 is already in works.  From the email with 067, here is a summary of the changes:

1.128G optimized for file system can support more types of microSD cards,although the format or FAT32 and NTFS;
2.Optimizing system settings inside the breakpoint position memory function;
3.Reduce power consumption when off-screen display;
4.Fluency and stability optimization system;
5.Optimize sound quality, reduce noise.

Jul 9, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #145 of 1,215
  Though I received 067 in the email, I would rather wait for official Hidizs download link when it becomes available to a general public.  I also heard 068 is already in works.  From the email with 067, here is a summary of the changes:

1.128G optimized for file system can support more types of microSD cards,although the format or FAT32 and NTFS;
2.Optimizing system settings inside the breakpoint position memory function;
3.Reduce power consumption when off-screen display;
4.Fluency and stability optimization system;
5.Optimize sound quality, reduce noise.

Thanks for the info, twister6... Do you happen to know when they are going to release the official 067 on the website?
Otherwise I might have to kindly ask you to e-mail me soon... :)

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #146 of 1,215
I already emailed them directly and asked to hurry up with a website update to include that link :wink:

Also, as a request, I asked them to think about silicone skin for AP100, similar to X5.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #147 of 1,215
This is the second time it happened to my unit, switch it off at night with good amount of juice. Switch it on in thr morning and the battery is 'exhausted', shutting down. Terrible!

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #148 of 1,215
This is the second time it happened to my unit, switch it off at night with good amount of juice. Switch it on in thr morning and the battery is 'exhausted', shutting down. Terrible!

Are you sure you turned it off, rather than turn the screen off?  It happened to me once when I didn't hold the power button long enough and thought it was off, while it was playing songs in a loop for hours until battery drained.

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #149 of 1,215

Are you sure you turned it off, rather than turn the screen off?  It happened to me once when I didn't hold the power button long enough and thought it was off, while it was playing songs in a loop for hours until battery drained.

Yes, I am sure. Pressed the volume up or down buttons just to ensure there is no response from the player which indicates that it is indeed turned off. I was gonna report it 2 days ago when it first happened but thought it was one off. But no, I believe it is a bug which is annoying!

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #150 of 1,215
As promised, here is an additional review of Hidizs AP100 accessories and other bonus goodies that come bundled when ordered from Penonaudio (http://penonaudio.com/Hidizs-AP100).

The included leather case adds a protection for AP100 and also allows you to carry this digital audio player in style.  Today it's really hard to tell apart real or fake leather, but material of this case felt genuine to me.  The fitment inside of the holding sleeve was secure, not too tight or loose.  It has the precise cutouts to access all the control buttons, keeps the top of the player open for HO/LO and power button, and at the bottom allows access for micro-usb cable.  You also have access to SRC and EQ buttons on one side, and Lock button on the other side.  The flip cover stays closed thanks to a hidden magnet, and inside there is a small velctro pocket for mico-SD card.

Btw, leather case is included with AP100 purchased from anybody, but Penon audio guys add a few additional exclusive bonuses.

As I mentioned in my original review, the headphone output jack of AP100 supports a standard TRS connection which is a problem if you are using headphones with built in in-line remote control/mic.  It's not a showstopper since there is a number of adapters available to allow use of headphones with in-line remote.  But additional adapters cost money and some are bulky or long-wired.  Included in this package is a slim 3.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter which I found to work great with all of my "smartphone" headphones.  As a matter of fact, Penon guys sell it on ebay for $4+ shipped (http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Female-3-5mm-Male-Headphone-Adapter-Plug-iPhone-Mobile-Phone-/290701050480?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item43af220270) for anybody who in general interested in it, but it's included for free here.  I like that I don't have to worry about hanging wires, and it doesn't stick out too much.

Last but not least, they also included a pair of high quality in-ear headphones, Hisoundaudio PAA-1 model which they actually sell in their store for $20 (http://penonaudio.com/Hisoundaudio-PAA-1).  Honestly, I was a bit skeptical about freebie headphones, expecting it's going to be something cheap, but was surprised to find these to sound really good!!!  These are not exactly in-ear type headphones, but rather one of those iPod style, and I even put a few pictures side-by-side for a better comparison.  Surprisingly, these have a nice soft cable with TPE sleeve and OFC wires.  The fit was comfortable, but for some people with small ear opening it could be a problem.  The sound is balanced, nothing is recessed.  It has a nice punchy low-end with some sub-bass extension, great separation of mids with enough detailed clarity (great with vocals), and crisp treble extension without any hint of sibilance.  One thing that surprised me the most was a super wide soundstage.  I'm not gonna tell you these are giant killers that beat $100-$200 IEMs, but they sound VERY good and even for a standalone price of $20 it's a great value.

Furthermore, and to be clear these adapters below are not a part of AP100 package but definitely a good investment to have, I would like to mention about impedance adapters you can get from Penon guys ($13.90, http://penonaudio.com/3.5mm-Inpedance-Plug).  As I mentioned in my review, paired up with high sensitivity headphones you are going to hear some background hissing noise listening to AP100 due to it's high output power.  It's a common problem with other DAPs or AMPs as well.  A solution is very simple, you need to use an impedance adapter, usually in value between 50-150 ohms.  It helps to attenuate the background noise, though you also will reduce output level (will need to raise your volume up when using such adapter).  Most of the adapters I have seen or own are bulky with a wire extension.  In this case, you are getting a brand name DUNU impedance adapter, either 75 ohm or 150 ohm, at a very reasonable price.  I have tested both with a lot of my headphones, and found that 75 ohm does a perfect job silencing the background noise without any sound quality reduction.  This 3.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter is relatively small and not going to stick out too much.  It's one of those must-have accessories any audiophile should have in their tool box :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back