Review of Hidizs AP100 portable HiFi music player
Jun 29, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #106 of 1,215

Perhaps you had a defective unit, who knows.

Not knowing about how many units of the AP100 have been sold by now, hearing/reading about defective units already are not a positive advertisement for their quality control. And I cannot imagine a new manufactor risking a bad reputation right fro the start.
Anyway, a defective unit would be possible, but why he doesn't like the player can depend on so many variables, I think. 

talk about defective unit,the play/pause button is faulty. It seems hard to press every time I want to play or pause a song. But, sound quality is the most important.

Jun 29, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #107 of 1,215
Hum... I was wondering, because the Havi have an impendance of 32Ohm with a sensivity of 115dB/mW, while the VSonics have even 40Ohm and about 108dB/mW, although the Havi are said to be harder to drive.
Seems like I just have to try, like always
biggrin.gif
 In the end we are all different and have different tastes. Just a little background noise would not be a deal breaker for me, especially if there would be a Low-/High-Gain-Mode in the future via Firmware-Update, which could solve the issue. In any case I am very eager to give the AP100 a try and see for myself if it suits my tastes.

Jun 29, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #108 of 1,215
@BatToys, I know we're all entitled to our own opinion, but your very first post in Head-fi community doesn't make sense and misleading to others. Not really sure what's the agenda here. You work in headphone store where you have access to play with and to test any DAP and/or headphones and you just blindly "bought" $300 DAP to find it sounding bad afterwards? Does that makes sense?

Jun 29, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #109 of 1,215
@BatToys, I know we're all entitled to our own opinion, but your very first post in Head-fi community doesn't make sense and misleading to others. Not really sure what's the agenda here. You work in headphone store where you have access to play with and to test any DAP and/or headphones and you just blindly "bought" $300 DAP to find it sounding bad afterwards? Does that makes sense?

+ me agreed

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #110 of 1,215
  Hum... I was wondering, because the Havi have an impendance of 32Ohm with a sensivity of 115dB/mW, while the VSonics have even 40Ohm and about 108dB/mW, although the Havi are said to be harder to drive.
Seems like I just have to try, like always
biggrin.gif
 In the end we are all different and have different tastes. Just a little background noise would not be a deal breaker for me, especially if there would be a Low-/High-Gain-Mode in the future via Firmware-Update, which could solve the issue. In any case I am very eager to give the AP100 a try and see for myself if it suits my tastes.

I second low-/high-gain setting mode, but I think in the current architecture it won't be possible.  I got a reply from Hidizs tech support stating "our product is not using hardware adjusting amplifier,so we can't depart High gain and Low gain to change the output level."

With Havi, I heard amp is a must to drive it, but considering high gain output of AP100 you can probably drive it directly, but 115 dB/mW sensitivity will result in a background noise since ZA Doppio with 113dB/mW has it.  Using impedance adapter helps and reduces that noise down to nothing.  I'm using UE travel adapter now (100 ohm) but also waiting to receive from Penonaudio http://penonaudio.com/3.5mm-Inpedance-Plug since those are more compact.  The higher the impedance the more reduction in noise you get and also reduction in volume which requires compensation by raising the volume on AP100.  I hope 75ohm adapter will be a good alternative.  I don't have Havi's to test it, but imagine that with 100 ohm adapter the volume will be decreased and you not going to have too much headroom to compensate for it (considering they need a lot of power to drive them).  So perhaps 75 ohm will be a better alternative.

I will post my results (75 ohm vs 100 ohm adapter w/Doppios) once I get these.

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #111 of 1,215
@ twister6

That would be quite a pity. I also asked the support about the possibility of adding a gain-switch, whether it be physical or implemented via Firmware. Regarding this I am still waiting for an answer. Lets see if I get the same Information.

Anyway, depending on the headphones it shouldn't be a matter more or less. When I have my AP100 I will see if it's a good pairing with the phones I own. Maybe I will also try the possible benefit from an Adapter, if necessary.
Until then I will be curiously waiting for your results/impressions
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #112 of 1,215

you don't believe me?

Sometimes, blind buy seem interesting

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #113 of 1,215
  you don't believe me?

I didn't say I don't believe you, it just strange for someone who works in the audio store and can test the equipment before buying it - you "bought it" to discover later that it's bad.  Unfortunately, here in US it's impossible to test drive any of the Asian audio gems (headphones or equipment) and we solely rely on impressions of others.

Like I said, we all entitled to our own opinion.  I would expect a lot of opposite opinions when it comes to headphones since we all have a different personal taste and sound perception, but with DAP is usually cut'n'clear.  AP100 might not have a perfect sound and I don't have a reference to compare it to DX90 or AK240, but it's by far NOT crappy!!!  In 24b/192k setting (unless you have a defective unit where SRC feature is not functioning correctly) - the sound shines and has an edge over X5, HM700, and Note 2 with either E18 or A200p.

The only explanation I have if you tested it with headphones that have in-line remote control and thus TRRS 3.5mm connector.  AP100 can only accept a regular TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) version, and if you plug in headphones with in-line remote/mic (those have tip-ring-ring-sleeve on the connector) - it will sound like crap :)  So, please verify that.  It could be a source of your problem.

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #114 of 1,215
  The only explanation I have if you tested it with headphones that have in-line remote control and thus TRRS 3.5mm connector.  AP100 can only accept a regular TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) version, and if you plug in headphones with in-line remote/mic (those have tip-ring-ring-sleeve on the connector) - it will sound like crap :)  So, please verify that.  It could be a source of your problem.

sure, i tested it with a regular TRS version. If i have to choose between DX50 and AP100, i'm pretty sure i'll choose DX50

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #115 of 1,215

sure, i tested it with a regular TRS version. If i have to choose between DX50 and AP100, i'm pretty sure i'll choose DX50

Based on what?  Can you please be more specific?  I don't have DX50 either, but read hundreds of posts in FiiO threads where people choose X5 over D50 in a blink of an eye.  I did a fair comparison of X5 vs AP100 in my review and already expressed my opinion about AP100 having a little edge over X5.  Personally, I don't have a biased opinion about either, just telling you how it is.  Of course, Hidizs is a new kid on the block so we need more opinions.  But in terms of sound quality, I really believe they delivered it.  Plus, they just released new updated 067 firmware with a lot of optimization to support more types of microSD, reduce power consumption, sound quality improvement, system stability, etc.  And more updates are in a queue.  Also just noticed, Penonaudio officially reduced the price to $269.

Btw, I'm in no way associated with Hidizs or Penonaudio :)  Just saying it lol!!!  Since I already invested time and effort into this review, I'm sticking with it, providing updates and sharing my continuous experience.

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #116 of 1,215
And based on your review, I purchased one online. ☺

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #117 of 1,215
  And based on your review, I purchased one online. ☺

More impressions to come, awesome!  Plus you got a set of nice headphones to test it with!

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #118 of 1,215

More impressions to come, awesome!  Plus you got a set of nice headphones to test it with!

I hope it arrives before I go for my holiday.

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #119 of 1,215

Based on what?  Can you please be more specific?  I don't have DX50 either, but read hundreds of posts in FiiO threads where people choose X5 over D50 in a blink of an eye.  I did a fair comparison of X5 vs AP100 in my review and already expressed my opinion about AP100 having a little edge over X5.  Personally, I don't have a biased opinion about either, just telling you how it is.  Of course, Hidizs is a new kid on the block so we need more opinions.  But in terms of sound quality, I really believe they delivered it.  Plus, they just released new updated 067 firmware with a lot of optimization to support more types of microSD, reduce power consumption, sound quality improvement, system stability, etc.  And more updates are in a queue.  Also just noticed, Penonaudio officially reduced the price to $269.

I bought it from Hidizs with less than $200.

I think DX50 have more balance than AP100, nice treble, more relaxing and more naturally. 

I appreciate what you are doing now.

Btw, I'm in no way associated with Hidizs or Penonaudio :)  Just saying it lol!!!  Since I already invested time and effort into this review, I'm sticking with it, providing updates and sharing my continuous experience.

you are funny, man :)

Jun 29, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #120 of 1,215
Just for your Information and maybe interesting for people who consider buying it:
I also have to add that I'll be buying from Hidizs directly. They offered me the complete package with all the cables, Screen protectors and the leather case for US$190 including free shipping, which I absolutely consider an unbeatable bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back