Review of Hidizs AP100 portable HiFi music player
Jul 10, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #152 of 1,215
  @twister6

Thanks for the updates. After seeing that your equipment list, I wanted to ask if you paired the AP100 with the VSD3S and the KC06A and how you like it.

"liking" is not the right word to describe it, I LOVE IT!!!  KC06A and VSD3S are two of my favorite IEMs at the current moment, followed by IM03 (waiting for a silver-plated replacement cable for that one, hoping it will brighten the sound), and they pair up very nicely with AP100.  I need to check FiiO's latest fw for X5, but fw 2.0 sounds a little darker and warmer in comparison to AP100, so I have been using AP100 exclusively lately.  KC06A and VSD3S have a lot in common in terms of wide soundstage, excellent detailed sound with an amazing separation/layering, and fantastic low end texture.  Where they part their way is VSD3S has a better quality removable cable with a softer more manageable jacket (while KC06A cable jacket is PITA), and KC06A has a brighter upper mids and a little more sub-bass (while VSD3S is a little warmer when it comes to upper mids/treble).

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #153 of 1,215
  Though I received 067 in the email, I would rather wait for official Hidizs download link when it becomes available to a general public.  I also heard 068 is already in works.  From the email with 067, here is a summary of the changes:

1.128G optimized for file system can support more types of microSD cards,although the format or FAT32 and NTFS;
2.Optimizing system settings inside the breakpoint position memory function;
3.Reduce power consumption when off-screen display;
4.Fluency and stability optimization system;
5.Optimize sound quality, reduce noise.

@twister6

You are currently running 067? What are your experiences so far and compared to 066?

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #154 of 1,215
To be honest, I don't hear/see much difference. If there is a sound improvement, it's subtle. Probably a slight improvement in battery life, but it would be more noticeable if I let it play continuously with a screen off, while I constantly fast forward and skip tracks.

Btw, supposed to be getting E11k for review soon, so will be a nice test for that amp with LO of AP100. Of course, testing with X5 will take a higher priority :wink:

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #155 of 1,215

Did you experience any bugs with either 066 or 067 so far? And I saw you were using a Sandisk Micro-SDXC 128GB. Is it working flawlessly with the AP100?

I am looking forward to your Review of the E11k 
wink.gif
Wonder if it works well with the X5 as well as with the AP100. Although I doubt that I personally need an extra amp for the phones I use for my portable setup. But new "toys" are always tempting
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #156 of 1,215
Not really a bug, but an annoyance where before unplugging AP100 from usb port of laptop, you have to "Safely Remove Hardware" first and then unplug it.  If you just unplug it, AP100 hangs and you have to reset it (that pinhole reset).  Every other DAP is a simple plug'n'play, but here it uses a more "proper" protocol.  It works as intended by design, but I wish it wouldn't :)  I might have to mention to Hidizs guys about it.

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #157 of 1,215
@twister6 Based on this thread I jumped on the AP100 bandwagon back when there was the 10% off sale. I'm quite happy with it, and I'd just like to comment that  I've never come across the issues you had with not clicking "Safely Remove Hardware". Maybe its a unit-to-unit thing so maybe its something to do with Windows configuration. Anyway I thought I'd put it out there for anyone interested.

On a different note, it would be great if it could be used as a USB DAC.. anyone know if Hidiz are looking into this (@Slyn?)

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #158 of 1,215
  @twister6 Based on this thread I jumped on the AP100 bandwagon back when there was the 30% off sale. I'm quite happy with it, and I'd just like to comment that  I've never come across the issues you had with not clicking "Safely Remove Hardware". Maybe its a unit-to-unit thing so maybe its something to do with Windows configuration. Anyway I thought I'd put it out there for anyone interested.

On a different note, it would be great if it could be used as a USB DAC.. anyone know if Hidiz are looking into this (Slyn?)

Wow, 30% discount? Where did you find it?

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #161 of 1,215
For its price, it does.

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #162 of 1,215
  This thing sounds good.

Can you describe what you like about this ? Compare to X5 maybe ? Love to know your opinion.

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #163 of 1,215
I'm sorry friend, but I don't have the X5. I have heard it, but only on occasion. What I like about the AP100 is its tendency to do rich and rumble right. It's not a dark sound, it's a thickly detailed sound. It reminds me of the X3, but meatier, rawer. I loved the sound of the X3 but hated using the unit. 

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #164 of 1,215
I used to have X3 before upgrade to X5 and yeah I love the meatier sound of X3.

The thing is when switching from AP100 to X5 I always go WoW..! More detail and transparency by good margin.
Yet, AP100 makes music flows better, more liquid and sits right in front of you..a bit more musical in a way than X5.
It sounds better when paired with E12...cleaner and more spacious. Really delightful.

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #165 of 1,215
@Twister6
Can you share the new firmware sent to you by Hidizs? Nothing is uploaded yet from Hidizs site...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back