Review of Audioquest JitterBug - USB Data & Power Noise Filter.
Jun 26, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #331 of 358
If the USB signal is so dirty, why don't USB DAC makers include cleanup circuitry in their products?

Jun 26, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #332 of 358
For some reason many posters feel the need to put down the JB, but to my ears
it's staying in my system, a nice improvement in my audio chain for not much!

Jun 26, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #333 of 358
For some reason many posters feel the need to put down the JB, but to my ears
it's staying in my system, a nice improvement in my audio chain for not much!

Same here. I noticed improvement and even slightly more when using 2 Jitterbugs:

Jun 26, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #334 of 358
Same here. I noticed improvement and even slightly more when using 2 Jitterbugs:

Yeah, I'm not saying they aren't needed. I'm considering one for my Dragonfly. Even NWAVGuy complained about USB port quality.

But you'd think you'd at least see a few USB DAC makers building the feature into their products if they thought it made their product sound better. (Maybe some have and I just haven't seen it.)

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #336 of 358
Thats because you like highly colored sound and not transparent sound... purists will not like it.

A usb product such as this that appears to make the sound a bit smoother or darker is actually more transparent, not less. This is from Rob Watts DAC designer from Chord Electronics, as well as Gordan Rankin the inventor of asynchronous USB audio and co designer of the Jitterbug. People have become accustomed to hearing digital jitter and noise and thinking that’s correct however reduction in the digital noise is actually closer to the analog signal and more pure.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #337 of 358
A usb product such as this that appears to make the sound a bit smoother or darker is actually more transparent, not less. This is from Rob Watts DAC designer from Chord Electronics, as well as Gordan Rankin the inventor of asynchronous USB audio and co designer of the Jitterbug. People have become accustomed to hearing digital jitter and noise and thinking that’s correct however reduction in the digital noise is actually closer to the analog signal and more pure.
Maybe youre right in some extent, but to me it adds something like cloud or yellow tint. I dont think in real life bass and lower mids is much more than the rest fr...

Jun 27, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #338 of 358
Thats because you like highly colored sound and not transparent sound... purists will not like it.

I like them too in my chain.

Although we are speaking about a small effect to then sound.

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #339 of 358
If the USB signal is so dirty, why don't USB DAC makers include cleanup circuitry in their products?
Well most do, and this device doesn't do anything on those. One aspect since this is consumer audio is the way the analog ground is treated when the outputs are unbalanced rca connections. In the pro world, we addressed this with signal transformer. This is one of the humble pro offerings I used to isolate a radio station's computer to a stereo VCA broadcast console (Sandies Dynamix). https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/875/117099 . so this device addresses most of the issues but if your DAC is designed well, and you use a good usb shielded cable, you should be ok. In rooms that there is a lot of RF trash in the room (due to other devices like cc machines, rf transmitters, etc) , you might have to add a ferrite bead to the usb cord even though all isolation methods are applied.

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #340 of 358
I do agree that jitterbug for noisy computers or lower quality dacs, does smooth out the sound some. It’s cheap but realistically in sq and price is 5% of what a quality music server provides. I found that a max of 2 jitterbugs per iMac, as the 3rd causes power drain and lower volumes.

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #341 of 358
I had always used one in the USB port of my Nas drive and one inline with my USB cord feeding my Uptone Regen . However since getting a new Nas I try it adjacent to my USB cord in my laptop laptop it's own and wouldn't be without one.

Jun 28, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #342 of 358
Some do. Schiit has one in some of their DAC's

Jun 28, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #344 of 358
The JitterBug works great if you have a USB power source ie. a usb wall wart, plug the JB into that and the power USB cable into the JB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back