Review of Audioquest JitterBug - USB Data & Power Noise Filter.
Nov 17, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #196 of 358
  I finally got to publishing my Jitterbug article. Some might like it, some might not... 

Is it real, or "bah humbug"?
Here's Headfonia's review http://www.headfonia.com/review-audioquest-jitterbug-usb-magic/

Enjoyable review. Thanks for sharing.

FWIW, I use my JB with a portable Sony DAC/amp (PHA-1A) when traveling and I think it helps that device.

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #198 of 358
I'm using a JB in my HTPC and the improvement was instantaneous!  First of all you can't hear the mouse track any more (the stupid jittery sound a mouse makes when its moved).  System is now dead quiet! I have very high efficiency speakers - dynamic range is one of their advantages - but also as a disadvantage - they will pick up any noise that's in the system.  The JitterBug got rid of every bit of noise!!!!! Total silence when there is no program playing.  That's worth the $48 alone!!!!!   

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #199 of 358
I tried my dacport slim out of the macbook pro and it sounds splashy and thin compared to iPhone with cck.  
May give the jitterbug a try.

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #200 of 358
I just ordered 2 of these, hope to use it with my Regen. Will be interesting to see how they compare and how well they work together

Now if only my Pulse would ship....

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #201 of 358
Hi,

Have a Jitterbug installed between my iMac and my V90-HPA (Musical Fidelity). Use DAC only, amp is Asgard 2.
I use an ordinary USB cable. My question is, does the Audioquest Jitterbug sort of upgrade my USB cable?
Or is there still an interest in replacing it (my budget $30-40). Audible difference? Thanx!

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #202 of 358
Hi

Just tried my new Jitterbug using Foobar2000 in Windows 10. Foobar is set to WASAPI event mode and the DAC is a FiiO X5 2nd Gen in DAC mode. The playback always stops after a few seconds with Foobar coming up with an "unknown error".

I've tried both UBS 3.0 and 2.0 ports, as well as removing my wireless mouse.

Anyone else encountered this problem?

Regards

Darren

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #205 of 358
I've been using (one) JitterBug for couple of months and I'm not quite sure what it does to sound. It seems to make music a little clearer and easier to listen. Less "digital sounding" at high frequencies. 

Some listener are saying it makes sound darker and are not liking it. I wonder why no one has thought the reason why JitterBug would make sound darker.

Well if you think of - let's say - a 100hz sine wave and add or remove a bit from the signal, what it will cause? It'll cause some sort of distortion at HIGHER frequencies, not low frequencies. So when this happens with music signal, you would think that the caused distortion at higher frequencies sounds as there is more energy there. When you remove the distortion, the music will have less energy at higher frequencies and thus will sound darker.

But how anyone can prefer the "brighter" sound, I wonder? Maybe a fault in an other part of the equipment chain, for which the "added brightness" will compensate somehow?

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #206 of 358
Jitterbug did not make any difference in my system at all. Returned.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #207 of 358
I finally also bought a Jitterbug and couldn't wait to test it.

I plugged it into my USB port and plugged in the cable with the DAC.... hmm nothing. Windows will not recognize my Device. Tried a different port, same problem, tried the last available port which supports a higher current - the DAC was detected but with the standard cable i had an awful distortion! I tried another 28AWG Cable and the device then played "normally".

So i researched a little bit and then decided to open up the jitterbug and have a closer look. I saw some choke coils on the PCB and removed the last one on the 5V line - bridged the connections and tried plugging in my DAC again... it worked on all ports !!

So what i will do next is.. i order a "better" choke coil früm Wurth Elektronik (WE-SL5) and will try my luck with this one. I also remove the USB connector and will solder a 20AWG sync+data cable directly to the PCB with silver solder and keep the cable as short as possible (around 10cm).

I will update you with the progress.

For those who had good luck with their device from scratch - good for you, but at least i now have a new project to mess around with 
cool.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #208 of 358
  I finally also bought a Jitterbug and couldn't wait to test it.

I plugged it into my USB port and plugged in the cable with the DAC.... hmm nothing. Windows will not recognize my Device. Tried a different port, same problem, tried the last available port which supports a higher current - the DAC was detected but with the standard cable i had an awful distortion! I tried another 28AWG Cable and the device then played "normally".

So i researched a little bit and then decided to open up the jitterbug and have a closer look. I saw some choke coils on the PCB and removed the last one on the 5V line - bridged the connections and tried plugging in my DAC again... it worked on all ports !!

So what i will do next is.. i order a "better" choke coil früm Wurth Elektronik (WE-SL5) and will try my luck with this one. I also remove the USB connector and will solder a 20AWG sync+data cable directly to the PCB with silver solder and keep the cable as short as possible (around 10cm).

I will update you with the progress.

For those who had good luck with their device from scratch - good for you, but at least i now have a new project to mess around with 
cool.gif

Or, you could just throw it the trash and go back to enjoying your music, which is what I did with mine.

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #209 of 358
those of you who received Jitterbugs that short themselves out should be demanding refunds from the manafacturer IMO. there is obviously no quality assurance at all if units which by design short themselves out are shipping.

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #210 of 358
  those of you who received Jitterbugs that short themselves out should be demanding refunds from the manafacturer IMO. there is obviously no quality assurance at all if units which by design short themselves out are shipping.

Yeah well i have to admit when opening the device and looking at the PCB layout and the components i was disappointed. The 5V Line runs on the same side of the double layered PCB as the Data Lines (which is counterproductive) and the choke SMD is not allowing enough current to pass through for some devices (like my DX80) to be recognized by Windows. Thats why i am trying to mod it a little bit. Of course the parts and the PCB etc. are maybe only worth $ 5 ... but hey how often did audiophiles pay 100 or 1000s of $ for some subtle change...

I even start thinking that those "improvements" on some audiophile equipment are not measurable because they happen somewhere in the quantum field (quantum physics) haha :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back