Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Mar 8, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #2,581 of 3,060
Hi guys, looking to buy a dac amp for ath im02. Anyone using fiio q1 or E17k with the im02s? Please advise.

How about the Ibasso D-zero MKII? It sounds better than both.

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #2,582 of 3,060
Excellent review and thread.  
I recently suffered a great loss when my beloved UE Super.fi 5 Pro earphones broke at the cable connection point.  My search almost had me shelling out for the Sennheiser IE80, but I caught a line in a post on Head-Fi suggesting that the IM02 would pair well with my HTC One M8.
After only 3 days of listening I can say that I am extremely happy with them.  They are a clear improvement over the UE's in sound, fit and finish, and especially comfort.  
With a set of Comply Foam Tips, the isolation is fantastic.  
Standing on the platform at Grand Central Station on my way home from work, I barely heard the trains pulling into the station.  
The squeal of steel wheels disappears entirely and only the music comes through - Beautifully!

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #2,584 of 3,060
Has anyone try im02 or im series with TRRS cable? , I wonder how sound quality improve with it or not as I want to use one with Balanced Onkyo DPX1.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #2,585 of 3,060
I almost made my IM03 cable balanced when I built it. But since it's a backup IEM now, I thought it should remain as versatile as possible. I'm still tempted, though.

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #2,586 of 3,060
I was a bit surprised when I took a look at the back of the package of the IM03 and saw in the picture that it had three individual drivers (at first, before I even listened to it, I really thought that it had a combined double-low armature driver for the bass and a mid/high driver), but indeed, the description says 3-way.

Anyway, what I actually want to express is that I am now also a member of the gang and also a little proud, as the IM03 has never been officially sold in Europe (at least to my knowledge). I imported it directly from Japan (if anyone wants to, I could share the link).

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #2,587 of 3,060
  I was a bit surprised when I took a look at the back of the package of the IM03 and saw in the picture that it had three individual drivers (at first, before I even listened to it, I really thought that it had a combined double-low armature driver for the bass and a mid/high driver), but indeed, the description says 3-way.

Anyway, what I actually want to express is that I am now also a member of the gang and also a little proud, as the IM03 has never been officially sold in Europe (at least to my knowledge). I imported it directly from Japan (if anyone wants to, I could share the link).

share away my friend. I was quite interested in the im03s for a while but I opted for the im70s due to financial reasons =(

its much cheaper

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #2,589 of 3,060
  @Tom22

The shop I got it from was this particular one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321984330362
Seems like they refreshed their page and got new units in, as when I ordered around 2-3 weeks ago, they had only 7 or so and 5 had been already sold.

I think I've found the upgrade of the Triple.Fi 10 I was always secretly looking for in the IM03.

thanks!

and no... just no
wink.gif
 ... I haven't heard of the those triple fi 10s but I heard those had and still have quite the loyal following
etysmile.gif

and your not tempting me.... your not tempting me....
tongue_smile.gif
 ..... I've just purchased a pair of the new vsonic vsd3s (can't be blowing money left and right)

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #2,590 of 3,060
Nice photo Chris!

I recommend JVC Spiral Dots, shallow insertion, with the IM03. It clears up the sibiliance the 03 is prone to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back