Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Aug 6, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #2,206 of 3,060
I just got IM03s and I was wondering if theyre suppose to have a very shallow fit. Im using the large ear tips they came with and they seal against the outer section of my ears and sounds fine but I was just wondering if there was a way to get a deeper insertion and if it improved sound.

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #2,207 of 3,060
I just got IM03s and I was wondering if theyre suppose to have a very shallow fit. Im using the large ear tips they came with and they seal against the outer section of my ears and sounds fine but I was just wondering if there was a way to get a deeper insertion and if it improved sound.

The IM series was designed to be shallow fit, and not deep insert. Of course you can use some double flanges to insert deeper and better, but the body will prevent it getting in too deep. The only thing I found to be affecting the sound : fit, and tips materials. Better fit for better sounds especially bass, and silicone will preserve sound better than foam tips, which will attenuate high frequencies.

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #2,208 of 3,060

If you're uncertain about the seal, or just want to experiment, try some wide bore tips. As you'll see in my posts, I highly recommend the JVC Spiral Dots, and the Ultimate Ears 600.

Experimenting can be quite eye-opening. The shape and style of the tips can alter the sound in startling ways.

For the IM03 I can no longer suggest the Sony Hybrids. They are just too sibilant together. The Spiral Dots, however, smooth out all the rough edges, making the 03s sound so delicious.

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #2,210 of 3,060
If you are already using Large stock tips, get the Large Spiral Dots.

Aug 8, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #2,211 of 3,060
If you're uncertain about the seal, or just want to experiment, try some wide bore tips. As you'll see in my posts, I highly recommend the JVC Spiral Dots, and the Ultimate Ears 600.

Experimenting can be quite eye-opening. The shape and style of the tips can alter the sound in startling ways.

For the IM03 I can no longer suggest the Sony Hybrids. They are just too sibilant together. The Spiral Dots, however, smooth out all the rough edges, making the 03s sound so delicious.

Yupe, silicone tips, especially like Sony hybrid as it has that gel to fill up in the space will even further carry the high range :D. The spiral dots has that body empty and will attenuate a part of the high ranges away. Thouh I love my 04 with silicone tips and Sony hybrid :D. Also don't look down on the stock tips...:wink:

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #2,212 of 3,060
Hey guys,

I am trying to replace my TDK BA200 which I love except for the sibilance I get with shallow insertion. Do you guys think this would be an issue with the IM02? What I am really after is an iem that similar to the HD650s and I am wondering how similar the IM02's tonal balance is to it. 

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #2,213 of 3,060
Hey guys,

I am trying to replace my TDK BA200 which I love except for the sibilance I get with shallow insertion. Do you guys think this would be an issue with the IM02? What I am really after is an iem that similar to the HD650s and I am wondering how similar the IM02's tonal balance is to it. 

Based on everyone's description of the IM02, it should be NOTHING like the HD600/650.

I own the HD600, and I think the IM03 with the JVC Spiral Dot tips share a lot in common with it. Tonality is not exactly the same, yet both are wide open and airy, VERY musical, natural, and easy to listen to for hours and hours. The IM03 has more base than the HD600, so it might be even closer to the 650 in that regard.

Based on the reviews here, the IM02 has much less base, and is brighter and more detailed as apposed to easy and musical. If you had to compare them, it would be closer to the Beyer DT-880, from what I hear.

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #2,216 of 3,060
hey guys i figured i share this with you guys!

i got these today

i think this is a fantastic solution for any im50, im70, im01,im02,im03,im04 ttpod t1e, brainwavz r3 (basically any earphone that has a really fat or wide nozzle) (trying them on my dunu titan 1s now)  and need them (the tips and the stem) to be a bit longer

you can get in whatever size you need them. With this eartip you don't need to make a stem mod, just slip them in on the the long/short wide nozzle and your good to go

i'm not affiliated with these guys in any way, just figured i'd share this info, for anyone having issues with the fit on the im70

also this eartip (which is essentially the brainwavz s0 eartip but in blue) 

is a wide bore (perfect with the im70, in opening the sound and lessening the bass ) , with a stiffer inner silicone core (hybrid) so it holds it shape well and doesn't stretch (overstretch over the nozzle)

you can also look on ebay for any other eartips that look and seem similar and i would think it could work well as well.

oh and btw THEIR SOO CHEAP FOR SO MANY PAIRS!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-10-pcs-REPLACEMENT-SILICONE-IN-EAR-EARPHONE-TIPS-EARBUDS-SENNHEISER-CX300/141721545729?_trksid=p3693.c100102.m2452&_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140212121249%26meid%3D544ddae0487643e190cee2c632d653ab%26pid%3D100102%26

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #2,220 of 3,060
It comes down to your sonic preferences. Do you want bright, crisp, analytical sounds? Get the IM02. Or do you want a warmer, smoother, more fluid sound? Go with the IM03. Or if you want EVEN warmer and smoother and darker, the IM04 is your friend.

None of these are bad at any genre. How good they are depends on your personal taste. Find out what you like in sound reproduction, and the choice becomes quite clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back