Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Jul 31, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #2,191 of 3,060
Does anybody know where I can get an inexpensive cable for my IM50? I don't care about it being oxygen free unobtaninium with kryptonite connecters. Its a $50 iem after all. I just want something flexible without the pesky ear hooks.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #2,192 of 3,060
Awesome! Any sonic improvements ?

None that I can tell. But I wasn't expecting any. Not with this cable. It's only the regular silver-plated OFC with in-line remote/mic.

I'm still planning on buying a 7 or 8n OCC from someplace, just to see if it improves anything. I'm in no hurry, though. The IM03 sounds tremendous already. :D

Does anybody know where I can get an inexpensive cable for my IM50? I don't care about it being oxygen free unobtaninium with kryptonite connecters. Its a $50 iem after all. I just want something flexible without the pesky ear hooks.

Lunashop.com.

The one I'm raving about is only $25. You can get a cloth cable without the silver plating for $20.

Only thing, unless you live in China, expect to wait 30-45 days.

Jul 31, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #2,194 of 3,060
lol an IM-03 by itself or so....I wonder what sound characteristic does pure silver emit.

A high, anguished wail, akin to the cries of the doomed and forsaken.

I've heard silver brightens the sound. In some cases, too much.

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #2,195 of 3,060
Today I started EQ with my IM-04 :D what a change, he took EQ so well, a tad sub-bass negation, bit more bass body, a bit of lower high gain and voilaaaa.....that cymbal hits omg....being musical, revealing and addicting altogether :D

Unbeatable for 400-600$ price bracket.

I know many people would want to rate a pair of IEMS without EQ and stuff, which I understand and also do. But it will come to a point where everything became opinionated and subjective...the EQ. EQ is basically your taste and your system capability (only high quality and capable system can). So yeah, at this price range and the capability of this. Fire away if you love your ears and details from your music.

I never want Audio Technica to release the next model so much as now....hurry up....I want IM-10 :D hahah

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #2,196 of 3,060
What device did you EQ? A DAP? A PC?

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #2,197 of 3,060
Only DAP as in NW-ZX2. It really is a wonderful DAP. Actually, there is one very specific notes, which mainly domain within the lower-high spectrum that came out and reveal itself with IM-04 that I was not able to EQ to reveal it with FX-750 or T2-E, but only IM-04. I am unsure of this as the result of the upgraded cables or the IM-04 itself...

The stock cables had it came out too, but only a little better than FX750 which is almost none as in 10% fx750 and 20% on IM04 and stock cable, that if I did not hear it with the upgraded cables I would not have noticed it as the soundstage was narrower and more congested.

I can totally confirm that ZX2 with Balanced cables TRRS improve the sound quality as in clarity transparency and soundstage, and also that IM-04 is very capable of EQ revealing.

I always knew that the clarity soundstage and transparency increased with the upgraded cables, just wasn't as clear as in this specific song and specific notes (definition, texture)....it is a rip from Bluray 16/96 quality. Still unsure if it is the cables quality or TRRS or both, but the improvements were indeniably clear.

I will still stick with my original reviews as linked here. Is song though specifically made it too clear of audible changes with a tick of EQ.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-im04-sonicpro-balanced-in-ear-monitor-headphones/reviews/12770

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #2,198 of 3,060
I am so tempted to buy that 6OcC pure silver dream cable.....but it hella expensive.....lol an IM-03 by itself or so....I wonder what sound characteristic does pure silver emit.

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4257

it is good buy at $40 and sound much better than the stock cable.

Aug 2, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #2,199 of 3,060
He's talking about pure silver, not silver-plated copper. What he's looking at is hundreds of dollars. :)

I doubt the sound will be any better, though.

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #2,201 of 3,060
Probably for the best.

What do you think your next set will be?

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #2,202 of 3,060
Probably for the best.

What do you think your next set will be?

I am leaning toward Sony next high-end Cans as I already have ZX2. I really want to hear the intention of Sony engineers as the ancient profoundness of digital audio and music. It probably will either be MDR Z7 or 1A. I just need to get that cables for ZX2 balanced TRRS for either one. Before shooting for Im04, I almost got the Z5, but the fact that it protrude outta the ears that make it impossible to lay on in bed :mad:

Also is looking into MSR7, but it can not do Balanced .....sigh....or simply wait for a while more.

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #2,203 of 3,060
Seems that many of the impressions out there are criticizing the Z7 bass being boomy...bassy and not too well defined....upon my taste, it is out of the window. MDR-1a is probably a potential one for now, but I will just skip it as well....I don't think the level of details, stage, and performance get close to my IM-04. Seems I have to stick with 04 for a while. Lol what a great buy :D

The ability of 04 to form around my EQ is mind staggering....I liked the non EQ before, and even more with EQ

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #2,204 of 3,060
Seems that many of the impressions out there are criticizing the Z7 bass being boomy...bassy and not too well defined....upon my taste, it is out of the window. MDR-1a is probably a potential one for now, but I will just skip it as well....I don't think the level of details, stage, and performance get close to my IM-04. Seems I have to stick with 04 for a while. Lol what a great buy
biggrin.gif

The ability of 04 to form around my EQ is mind staggering....I liked the non EQ before, and even more with EQ

lol sounds like your disappointed with SAVING YOUR MONEY haha

you seem pretty intent on what I call "upgraditis"

never satisfy that buyers itch =p, its terrible!

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #2,205 of 3,060
I know it well. :)

Even though I'm deeply satisfied with this X5>IM03 setup, I can't help plan ahead. I think I'm going to settle down for a few months, though. Then, maybe with my Christmas bonus, I'll buy the Cayin N6. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back