Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Aug 17, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #2,236 of 3,060
The SpinFits came in and I had a chance to try them today.

They are the large size, sent in from Japan. Either they do not make a good seal, or they naturally attenuate the bass frequencies. I'm not sure which, but whatever the case, the result is a horribly hollow sound. And the sibilance from my IM03 is back with a vengeance.

Oh well. At least my Spiral Dots continue to suit me so utterly well. This is the sound signature I think I will look for in all upgrades along the way. It just hits me so right.

So you like hollow sounds , and of good sibilances also ? Interesting :)

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #2,237 of 3,060
SpinFits and Spiral Dots are two very different tips which give very different sounds.

SpinFits=Hollow, no bass, terrible sibilance.

Spiral Dots=Full, rich, smooth sound. No sibilance.

My problem with the SpinFits are likely just a mismatch in ear and tip size. If SpinFits came in X Large, they might work better for me.

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #2,238 of 3,060
SpinFits and Spiral Dots are two very different tips which give very different sounds.

SpinFits=Hollow, no bass, terrible sibilance.

Spiral Dots=Full, rich, smooth sound. No sibilance.

My problem with the SpinFits are likely just a mismatch in ear and tip size. If SpinFits came in X Large, they might work better for me.

Oh my bad lol... It got me confused there :wink:. I know exactly what you meant

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #2,239 of 3,060

So I've used these Awesome IM-02's for about a month now and decided to try new tips. Ordered my tips from ebay, it took awhile to come, apparently the seller was on some sort of vacation. 

been on these tips for the past week and these earphones are my daily drivers, to school and also while on the desk. like what @PinkyPowersmentioned, i found these okay.. but hollow sounding, i find them inserting too shallow too. sometimes on my right ear, it feels like its slowly pushing itself out of the ear ( stock tips are fine). On some days, although i feel that it has a shallow fit, but the sound produced is still listenable. Nothing that caused me to figit or readjust constantly. 

They ARE comfortable if they manage to stay in your ears. like on my left ear, there are barely noticable after awhile. So thats that. 

Imma move on to the JVC Spiral tips soon! 

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #2,240 of 3,060

So I've used these Awesome IM-02's for about a month now and decided to try new tips. Ordered my tips from ebay, it took awhile to come, apparently the seller was on some sort of vacation. 

been on these tips for the past week and these earphones are my daily drivers, to school and also while on the desk. like what @PinkyPowersmentioned, i found these okay.. but hollow sounding, i find them inserting too shallow too. sometimes on my right ear, it feels like its slowly pushing itself out of the ear ( stock tips are fine). On some days, although i feel that it has a shallow fit, but the sound produced is still listenable. Nothing that caused me to figit or readjust constantly. 

They ARE comfortable if they manage to stay in your ears. like on my left ear, there are barely noticable after awhile. So thats that. 

Imma move on to the JVC Spiral tips soon! 

Try Philips 3590 tips.

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #2,241 of 3,060
Yeah, well...I have been saying it for a while. The way spin fit tips were designed, it got a neck join. So right at that bottle necks, your sound will smash into each other...which naturally result in cancellations of some frequencies as it over lapse and collide onto each other's.

I expect this result to even show up much clearer than in a large rig setup....naturally nobody want to place their speakers behind some half closed doors and listen through it .......lol! On top of that, being Balanced Amatures, so close to the ears....etc....yeah, totally agreed. Therefore I gave up the idea in trying hem out as they cost around $10 a pair or so....never mind lol.....

Good to have a couple confirmations

On another hand, the Spiral Dots were designed on the exact opposite of this. :D

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #2,242 of 3,060
On another hand, the Spiral Dots were designed on the exact opposite of this. :D

Indeed they are. They are almost humorous to look at, as the bore is so wide there is nothing between you and the opening of the nozzle. :D

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #2,244 of 3,060
Gonna get mine then! Cant wait! 

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #2,246 of 3,060
Guys, don't know if you have seen this, but it seems that the price of some Audio-Technica IEMs/headphones will be increased come September 1st. My knowledge of Japanese is basic (or intermediate, at best), and that coupled with Google Translate confirms that the IM-series of earphones will see a price increase of an average of 15%.

http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/info/info_detail.php?infoId=169

Are there any native Japanese speakers here willing to confirm this news? Thanks in advance. 
smile.gif

Aug 24, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #2,248 of 3,060
might get the im02. i have really bad impression on audio technica i had some anc29 and ckb50 and there not so good. Might be because there cheap models

would this be upgrade over the dunu 1000

Aug 24, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #2,249 of 3,060
Entirely different sound signature. DUNU 1000 is very base-heavy, yes?

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #2,250 of 3,060
  might get the im02. i have really bad impression on audio technica i had some anc29 and ckb50 and there not so good. Might be because there cheap models

would this be upgrade over the dunu 1000

It really depends on your music tastes and if you will be ok with a mid-forward sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back