Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
May 5, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #1,906 of 3,060

Yeah, I don't want fixed cables anymore. I was looking through a review (can't remember where), and it mentioned that the cable wasn't detachable.

You are right! Cables on CKR series are not detachable. Get the IM70 and pair them with some wide bore tips. You won't be disappointed.

May 5, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #1,907 of 3,060
Hi Guys,

Not sure if someone already posted this query earlier. Wanted to know how the IM02s sound without amping from a phone. And what could be some decent phone options to go along with this? Anyone has used it directly from Oneplus One?

I have been reading that these are real picky about the source; so posting this query.

Thanks in advance.

May 5, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,908 of 3,060
Hi Guys,

Not sure if someone already posted this query earlier. Wanted to know how the IM02s sound without amping from a phone. And what could be some decent phone options to go along with this? Anyone has used it directly from Oneplus One?

I have been reading that these are real picky about the source; so posting this query.

Thanks in advance.

It is depending on the output impedance of the smartphone headphone output. Try to find out the output impedance value, anything below 5 ohm should be fine. For IM02 case, the lower the better.

May 6, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #1,909 of 3,060
  Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.

My wife used to pair her IM02 with her LG G3. Didn't seem to have any issues then. She uses an iPod Classic (latest gen) now.

May 6, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #1,910 of 3,060
Yeh pairing them with any mobile device is fine, ipad, iphone, galaxy s5, htc one all sound quite good. Only time i noticed them sound weird was when i plugged them into my denon stereo and home theatre receiver, from what i can figure out i believe those 2 devices have a high output impedance which makes them sound quite awful.

May 6, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #1,911 of 3,060
few days after I've purchased the IM02, I finally have the time to listen to it (as of the moment), I thought that it has the same size as my IM50 which I struggled to get the right fit, but the IM02 is tiny and the fit is perfect using the medium tips. I'm amazed on how it sounded great with my X1 and E11k, I am listening to some Corinne Bailey Rae tracks from her first album and her voice really shined out. The instruments presented by the IM02 were laid out well. I find it balance enough and the bass doesn't drown out the treble. The amount of bass is sufficient (I'm not a basshead-X1 direct out to E11k with bass boost off). It's punchy and fast, but not aggressive which is ok to have a little laid back feeling. However, on some of the tracks, I find the treble lacks a little bit of push which is opposite to some reviews, where they find it bright. The mids are superb, I can hear the voice and the instruments separate (in a good way) from the mix.

D6503

May 6, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #1,912 of 3,060
few days after I've purchased the IM02, I finally have the time to listen to it (as of the moment), I thought that it has the same size as my IM50 which I struggled to get the right fit, but the IM02 is tiny and the fit is perfect using the medium tips. I'm amazed on how it sounded great with my X1 and E11k, I am listening to some Corinne Bailey Rae tracks from her first album and her voice really shined out. The instruments presented by the IM02 were laid out well. I find it balance enough and the bass doesn't drown out the treble. The amount of bass is sufficient (I'm not a basshead-X1 direct out to E11k with bass boost off). It's punchy and fast, but not aggressive which is ok to have a little laid back feeling. However, on some of the tracks, I find the treble lacks a little bit of push which is opposite to some reviews, where they find it bright. The mids are superb, I can hear the voice and the instruments separate (in a good way) from the mix.

D6503

So, they're for treble heads? Man, headphones scare me. I wish I could have the detail/treble/clarity of the gr07 mkii, the ability to pick up low, rumbling bass, wide open sound with clear instrument separation, and detachable cables for $150, lol. I'm going to order either the im02 or the im70 by the end of the day, then I won't be a burden in this thread anymore.

May 6, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #1,913 of 3,060

So, they're for treble heads? Man, headphones scare me. I wish I could have the detail/treble/clarity of the gr07 mkii, the ability to pick up low, rumbling bass, wide open sound with clear instrument separation, and detachable cables for $150, lol. I'm going to order either the im02 or the im70 by the end of the day, then I won't be a burden in this thread anymore.

Nope, they aren't for treble heads but the treble is sufficient. Go for the IM70 since IM02 doesn't have that rumbling bass that you are looking for.

May 6, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #1,915 of 3,060
Long story short: IM50 vs IM70 

-IM70 has more bass especially sub-bass than IM50.
-IM70 has a bit wider soundstage.
-IM70 is less mid-forward than IM50 and has more detailed mids.
-IM70 has better treble quality and quantity. 
-IM70 is more balanced than IM50.

-IM50 has more mid-bass and has fuller midrange.
-IM50 has more forward mids.
-IM50 has better vocals, sounds more natural.
-IM50 is more suited for EDM while the rest goes to IM70.

Hope this helps:wink:

May 6, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #1,916 of 3,060

Nope, they aren't for treble heads but the treble is sufficient. Go for the IM70 since IM02 doesn't have that rumbling bass that you are looking for.

I want to... but... then... the CLARITY. I thought someone mentioned that the im70 doesn't have the clarity to match the gr07. I feel like it would always eat away at me. I'm ordering today, though.

May 6, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,917 of 3,060
  Long story short: IM50 vs IM70 

-IM70 has more bass especially sub-bass than IM50.
-IM70 has a bit wider soundstage.
-IM70 is less mid-forward than IM50 and has more detailed mids.
-IM70 has better treble quality and quantity. 
-IM70 is more balanced than IM50.

-IM50 has more mid-bass and has fuller midrange.
-IM50 has more forward mids.
-IM50 has better vocals, sounds more natural.
-IM50 is more suited for EDM while the rest goes to IM70.

Hope this helps:wink:

Thanks, but the im50 is not even on my radar. It's really just the im70 vs im02 for me. I guess I'm looking for a gr07 killer that has slightly more sub bass and detachable cables.

May 6, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #1,918 of 3,060

Thanks, but the im50 is not even on my radar. It's really just the im70 vs im02 for me. I guess I'm looking for a gr07 killer that has slightly more sub bass and detachable cables.

If you are more after clarity then IM02 is way to go. I ordered my IM70 from "Export from Kobe" on Amazon. They have IM02 for $148.

May 6, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #1,919 of 3,060

If you are more after clarity then IM02 is way to go. I ordered my IM70 from "Export from Kobe" on Amazon. They have IM02 for $148.

Done. Now, the hard part... waiting and hoping that I don't get disappointed like I was with the m50x.

*Fingers crossed*

May 6, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #1,920 of 3,060
imho the IM02 has superb clarity and detail, the bass is just right for my taste. When i purchased them, i had the chance to try IM50, IM70, RHA T10, KLIPSCH X7 & X11, SHURE 425 and a bunch of other IEM's that i don't recall now..

the IM 50 & 70 were too bassy for my taste, between the two, the IM50 was best value for money

the KLIPSCH had crappy build quality, the T10 was almost there..and the SE425 had less clarity for more money..the IM02 is a really good choice for the price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back