Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
May 8, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #1,936 of 3,060

You've tried them both side by side?

yes, after listen to im02 and im03 with

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4257
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4402
Audio Technica AT-HDC5/1.2

they are a worthy investment compare to the stock cable.

as far as I can recall, on my ear, there is little difference between the 2nd and the 3rd on both im03 and im02.

On IM02, the difference between 1st and 2nd is not so great and depend on whether you willing to pay about 100% more or not. It just make the already bright im02 slightly brighter.  I don't like it but my friend love it.

On IM03, you can find the vocal is more forward on the 1st cable compare to the 2nd, the music is brighter and the low and high is tighter.  It has a WOW factor on me that why I bought one myself.

One thing to take note, if you plan to get the http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4402, get http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4303 instead.  The mute button if you accidentally touch it,  may make 1 side driver no sound.

May 8, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #1,937 of 3,060
Thank you for your wonderful review. I keep returning to it whenever I have a question about the ATH-IM series.

I wasn't aware of the importance of the amplifier's output impedance.

My Cayin C5 amplifier has an output impedance of 95m ohm. Is that the same as 95 ohm? I'm not sure what the "m" means. I was hoping to buy the ATH-IM02. However, if 95m ohm means the same as 95 ohm, it won't work with ATH-IM02. I also have a TEAC HA-P50 amplifier, but TEAC said they don't have information regarding the output impedance of the TEAC HA-P50.

May 8, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #1,939 of 3,060
Thank you for your wonderful review. I keep returning to it whenever I have a question about the ATH-IM series.

I wasn't aware of the importance of the amplifier's output impedance.

My Cayin C5 amplifier has an output impedance of 95m ohm. Is that the same as 95 ohm? I'm not sure what the "m" means. I was hoping to buy the ATH-IM02. However, if 95m ohm means the same as 95 ohm, it won't work with ATH-IM02. I also have a TEAC HA-P50 amplifier, but TEAC said they don't have information regarding the output impedance of the TEAC HA-P50.

Cayin C5's output impedance is 0,32 ohm. So no worries. 

Specifications

Output Power: 800mW+800mW (32Ω)
S/N Ratio: ≥101d B (A weighted)
Battery Life: around 12 hours (32Ω)
Headphone Impedance: 8Ω-300Ω
Output Impedance: 32m Ω (or .32 Ω)
Size: 136×63×15mm
Net Weight: 185g
Sensitivity: ≤500m V (High Gain)
Limited Charging Voltage: 12.6V
Charging Time: around 4 hours
THD:≤0.003% (1kHz)
Battery Capacity: 1000mAh/11.1V

May 8, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,941 of 3,060

yes, after listen to im02 and im03 with

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4257
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4402
Audio Technica AT-HDC5/1.2

they are a worthy investment compare to the stock cable.

as far as I can recall, on my ear, there is little difference between the 2nd and the 3rd on both im03 and im02.

On IM02, the difference between 1st and 2nd is not so great and depend on whether you willing to pay about 100% more or not. It just make the already bright im02 slightly brighter.  I don't like it but my friend love it.

On IM03, you can find the vocal is more forward on the 1st cable compare to the 2nd, the music is brighter and the low and high is tighter.  It has a WOW factor on me that why I bought one myself.

One thing to take note, if you plan to get the http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4402, get http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4303 instead.  The mute button if you accidentally touch it,  may make 1 side driver no sound.

How did you think the AT-HDC5/1.2 cables sounded? And any difference in the comfort of that cable vs the stock cable? I may try one of the Lunashops cables later on.

May 8, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #1,942 of 3,060

How did you think the AT-HDC5/1.2 cables sounded? And any difference in the comfort of that cable vs the stock cable? I may try one of the Lunashops cables later on.

Lunashops cables should be more comfortable since it doesn't have memory wire on it. I wish Audio Technica could get rid of that stupid memory wire on one of the upgrade cables. They also seal better without it. 

May 8, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #1,943 of 3,060

Lunashops cables should be more comfortable since it doesn't have memory wire on it. I wish Audio Technica could get rid of that stupid memory wire on one of the upgrade cables. They also seal better without it. 

YES. I would have jumped on their upgrade cables in a heartbeat if they didn't have those pesky memory wires. Why IEM makers think everybody loves memory wire is beyond me.

May 9, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #1,945 of 3,060
Memory wire makes way more sense to me than all this removable cable nonsense. Seriously i dont understand why people like the idea of adding tiny delicate connectors to a cable. The whole idea of removable cables is so you can replace the cable if it goes bad, but its ironic in that the tiny connectors are usually the weakest part of the cable.

I love the IM series memory wire. If you think its not good,try the RHA T10i and youll see just how useful true memory wires are.

Things like my gr07BE don't have a memory wire and they are fine without it, but some earphones do better with them. I'd rather have memory wire than rubber ear guides.

May 9, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #1,946 of 3,060
Memory wire makes way more sense to me than all this removable cable nonsense. Seriously i dont understand why people like the idea of adding tiny delicate connectors to a cable. The whole idea of removable cables is so you can replace the cable if it goes bad, but its ironic in that the tiny connectors are usually the weakest part of the cable.

I love the IM series memory wire. If you think its not good,try the RHA T10i and youll see just how useful true memory wires are.

Things like my gr07BE don't have a memory wire and they are fine without it, but some earphones do better with them. I'd rather have memory wire than rubber ear guides.

oh man, i hate those ear guide things, half the time they don't even fit the cable they come with...

don't have a ton of experience with memory wire, but i'd say the Sony EX take on it is much more comfortable to me than the IM cables- IM is just a tad too stiff imo, and the way the connector angles/extends out is a bit awkward for me to get  a good arc on the cable somewhere between pinching the ear and flopping over it. 

Kind of agree about the detachable cables- I get a lot of anxiety about connectors and proper strain relief will probably outlast most of them- still, it's nice to have a degree of customizability and replacability that it allows- also, after the stereo jack, the cable has always been the bit that breaks first for me (the only time i've had connectors break  first was on my HD 25s).

May 9, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #1,947 of 3,060
+1. Memory wires drives me crazy. Can't get a good fit and seal with them. 

This is my experience as well, couldn't get a good fit with the IM70's until I got one of those Lunashop cables.....

May 9, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #1,948 of 3,060
I received a cable last week and couldn't remember what I bought it for.  The mystery is solved. What a difference it makes!  Thanks Peter, for recommending and reminding me of it!

Charlie   ♫

May 10, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #1,949 of 3,060
I received a cable last week and couldn't remember what I bought it for.  The mystery is solved. What a difference it makes!  Thanks Peter, for recommending and reminding me of it!

Charlie   ♫

Lol, glad I could be of help Charlie (although it wasn't intentional :wink:).

May 10, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #1,950 of 3,060
I'm looking at replacing a broken pair of Westone UM1's for live stage monitoring.  I'm a bassist and I like a hifi full range sound but of course I need to hear the bass and kick drum. How would the IM03's compare to the Westone UM Pro 20's or Shure 425's for this purpose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back