Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
May 6, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #1,921 of 3,060
It is depending on the output impedance of the smartphone headphone output. Try to find out the output impedance value, anything below 5 ohm should be fine. For IM02 case, the lower the better.

My wife used to pair her IM02 with her LG G3. Didn't seem to have any issues then. She uses an iPod Classic (latest gen) now.

Yeh pairing them with any mobile device is fine, ipad, iphone, galaxy s5, htc one all sound quite good. Only time i noticed them sound weird was when i plugged them into my denon stereo and home theatre receiver, from what i can figure out i believe those 2 devices have a high output impedance which makes them sound quite awful.

Thanks for your inputs guys. Much appreciated. The thing is that I'm currently using an international Galaxy S3 (I9300) which is pretty old now and has to go. I'm looking to replace it with a decent mid range phone (read- Oneplus One). I wanted to know if anyone has already used the IM02 with the OPO, unamped, and their impressions. My IM02s are on their way from the US to India and will take about a month; so no way to try out for myself right now.

If not the OPO, any other suggestions for a phone with low output impedance?

May 6, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #1,922 of 3,060

Thanks for your inputs guys. Much appreciated. The thing is that I'm currently using an international Galaxy S3 (I9300) which is pretty old now and has to go. I'm looking to replace it with a decent mid range phone (read- Oneplus One). I wanted to know if anyone has already used the IM02 with the OPO, unamped, and their impressions. My IM02s are on their way from the US to India and will take about a month; so no way to try out for myself right now.

Yeh I was never impressed with the galaxy s3's audio quality so an upgrade would be nice i reckon. Pretty much all cellphones have a low output impedances these days, the only time you might run into issues is if you run an extremely low impedance iem like the shure se846. The im02 is 46ohms and 124db sensitivity so you'll be fine with pretty much anything. The best mid-range phone i've heard is probably the htc one mini 2. I havent heard it personally but the oneplus one only gets an average rating in regards to its audio quality and volume levels.

May 6, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #1,923 of 3,060

Meizu Mx4 Pro if you can afford.

May 7, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #1,927 of 3,060
Just got my IM 02. This is my first BA IEM. 

still new here in audiophile scene. 

looking forward to my first DAP and AMP. any suggestions to pair with IM02? my eyes are in X1 plus E11K from Fiio. 

May 7, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #1,929 of 3,060
Done. Now, the hard part... waiting and hoping that I don't get disappointed like I was with the m50x.

*Fingers crossed*

Well, the IM02 has the clarity, detail and a relatively brilliant treble region that you'll love, if that's the type of sound you're after. If you need a weightier bass presence, you can always EQ to increase the mid-bass quantity. Anyway, I hope you'll love your IM02s!

May 7, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #1,930 of 3,060
  Just got my IM 02. This is my first BA IEM. 

still new here in audiophile scene. 

looking forward to my first DAP and AMP. any suggestions to pair with IM02? my eyes are in X1 plus E11K from Fiio. 

They go pretty well with both my Walkman a17 and Clip+ players, though they do pick up the walkman's slight hiss when music isn't playing, and sometimes operating noises (i.e. when navigating menus) on the rockboxed clip+, if those are things that are dealbreakers for you. I don't care for the sound from my phone (Note 2), but It can also drive them well.

An amp might be a little unnecessary if you are looking solely for the purpose of use with the IM02, imo- they are sensitive enough even my walkman with really weak output (less than a lot of phones or even the much cheaper clip+) drives them fine. Actually kind of sound worse from my JDS C5D  dac\amp than straight from my laptop output for some reason (except my laptop out is very noisy so now I just don't use them with my laptop at all
frown.gif
).

May 7, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #1,931 of 3,060
  They go pretty well with both my Walkman a17 and Clip+ players, though they do pick up the walkman's slight hiss when music isn't playing, and sometimes operating noises (i.e. when navigating menus) on the rockboxed clip+, if those are things that are dealbreakers for you. I don't care for the sound from my phone (Note 2), but It can also drive them well.

An amp might be a little unnecessary if you are looking solely for the purpose of use with the IM02, imo- they are sensitive enough even my walkman with really weak output (less than a lot of phones or even the much cheaper clip+) drives them fine. Actually kind of sound worse from my JDS C5D  dac\amp than straight from my laptop output for some reason (except my laptop out is very noisy so now I just don't use them with my laptop at all
frown.gif
).

@IronPaul Yeah, I second this. The IM02 sounds great directly from a phone/DAP. You don't require an amp, unless you need to give the IM02 a little more power in the lows. If so, a good amp would be the FIio E12/E12A. That bass boost switch does wonders.

May 7, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #1,933 of 3,060
Thanks! so a decent DAP would be a good choice also? X3 would be within budget 
biggrin.gif

I'm just new so i thought getting an AMP gives you more clarity and more soundstage. 

now enjoying it with the Iphone 
L3000.gif

May 8, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #1,934 of 3,060
  Thanks! so a decent DAP would be a good choice also? X3 would be within budget 
biggrin.gif

I'm just new so i thought getting an AMP gives you more clarity and more soundstage. 

now enjoying it with the Iphone 
L3000.gif

X3 and X3K has low output impedance and pair well with IM02. Btw, X3/X3K has more than powerful amp that you won't need an external amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back